UTI Information Please | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

UTI Information Please UTI Information Please

Unread 09-06-2008, 01:44 PM
UTI Information Please

Hello Ladies,
Not sure if I’m posting in the right spot but I need some information please. I had a TAH on 7/28/08 no problems from that and I feel great but I’ve had a UTI since then. I’ve had 5 rounds of antibiotics (Cipro,microban,z-pac,sepra ds and back on cipro) they have done 2 urine cultures 1 was no good and second one they call me and put me back on cipro (9/5/08). The cipro is giving me diarrhea and making me sick to my stomach. I went to Dr. (9/2/08) and they did a urine test in the office and came back fine and Dr. cleared me to go back to work Monday.
My gyn wants me to see a urologist and I have an appointment Monday afternoon. My question is what could this be? As long as I take the antibiotics my symptom are better but within 24 to 48 hours I’m back to square one. Has anyone else ever had this problem and if so what was done for you?
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2008, 07:17 PM
UTI Info please

Jackie 42569 - I have battled with UTI's for quite some time.
I would get 5 to 6 a year. I had a battery of tests done and it was determined that I needed to have my urethrea (sp?) dialated. That did help. But eventually they would start up again. I even got them after intercourse at times. Thought I was allergic to my husband!! LOL! ANyway, I finally went to my gyn and talked to him about it and come to find out, seems my bladder is thinner now and that can cause irritation and infections to increase. I was put on Vagifem for the "plumpness" it gives to the ballder and low and behold! I have only had 1 UTI since last year. I would assume that there are many reasons to get UTI's, but the female anatomy is more prone to them than the male anatomy - lucky us!!!
Unread 09-14-2008, 01:51 PM
UTI Information Please

After all the meds, your body has been stripped of all its good bacteria so replacing it with acidophilus suppliments will help get the good stuff back in your system. I've also learned that I have low sodium and I take in more salt as well as a salt suppliment. I have been UTI free ever since. When I've stopped taking my salts for a week or two, I get irritated again. I don't forget to take them anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Wink - UTI Information Please UTI Information Please

Hello Ladies,
Thanks for responding and sharing your experiences. I went to the Urologist on Monday and he checked my urine and said I could stop taking the Cipro (after only being on it for 3 days) and he put me on Detrol La & Utira-C and it has seemed to help a little I go back to see him in a month.
I went back to work on Monday and I stated to have pain in my pelvis, spotting and my stomach was very swollen by Wednesday I could hardly sit down. I went back to my GYN on Thursday and he checked me again and said I have an infection in the vaginal cuff ( I just saw him the week before and I was fine) and put me on another antibiotic (flagyl for 7 days). I’m so tired of all the medications I can’t wait until I’m back to normal.
Thanks,
Unread 09-14-2008, 03:24 PM
UTI Information Please

yikes, your poor system! The acidophilus will help you immensely. I usually take it as soon as I start any anibiotics. Some doctors recommend it now too.

Good luck
Unread 09-14-2008, 03:40 PM
UTI Information Please

thanks for the information... I will see about picking some up tomorrow, I need all the "good stuff" I can get.
Unread 09-17-2008, 04:32 PM
UTI Information Please

Yes definately try the acidophilus, If I were you i would take it for a couple of months. Also get some cramberry juice or tablets and take that as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register