Estrogel & Yam Please HELP! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Estrogel & Yam  Please HELP! Estrogel & Yam Please HELP!

Unread 08-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Estrogel & Yam Please HELP!

I started on the Estrogel on June 29th. I do two pumps in the morning on the inside of my arms from the wrist and also on the shoulders.
My husband said he has seen a dramatic change in me since this stuff kicked in. I'm not yelling at him anymore!!! I used to go into fits of anger and major depression.
I've started on a diet. (sparks people) where you count calories, carbs, fat, proteins. Very healthy diet. I am drinking 2 litres of water daily.
I am finding the last few days that I am having some fluid retention . It's the worse in the mornings, I'm also having hot flashes again. (
I was given a product a year ago at our local natural stuff.
It's called Pro-G-Yam Wild Yam with Progesterone Cream.
It provides a doseage of 5 mg of progertone per ounce.
I was also on a bio-ident progesterone 20 mg twice daily. My new gyno says it's not necessary and it will cause weight gain.
I've already gone from 130 pounds to 157 since January!
I am at a loss once again (
I have been eating healthy since Auguest 1st. Also exercising 10 minutes a day (until I am in better physical shape)
One Dr told me it didn't matter what I eat I will NOT be able to lose weight.
The Gyno told me Estrogel does NOT cause weight gain.
I was on Wellbrutrin and that seems to be when I really started to gain weight. Doc says NO Wellbrutrin causes weight loss, pharmacist says weight gain can definitely be a side effect and estrogel does not cause weight gain.
Can anybody help me with questions ??
I want to get my life back and haven't been me for 2 yrs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2006, 11:57 AM

This is totaly ironnic. I started on the Estrogel last week(2 pumps a day)and Wellbutrin on Friday. My family and friends have both commented on the major change they have seen with in me. I am no longer having major mood swings, anger fits, and bouts of yelling. I too have been experiencing mild hot flashes and water retention . To had to the frustration I have major insomnia and an increased appettite. The Dr says that the hot flashes will subside after a few weeks( I sure hope he's right ) as well the insomnnia. I have not yet talked with them about the increased appettite but will sometime today. I am majorly worried about weight gain and spoke with both of my Dr's and they both assured me that neither medications cause weight gain, however they did say progesterone does and is unnecessary if you don't have a uterus so why would I want to consider it. I am still very new to the whole hormonal issue and have tried both Climara and Vivelle Dot without having any luck with either(my body was sucking the estrogen out of them the first day). I too would like to find out some more info on this situation.
Unread 08-10-2006, 02:44 PM

Glad to meet you Cheeks. I don't want to discourage you, but I did notice a drastic change in my appetite from the Wellbutrin. I wanted to eat constantly! I'm trying to wean off of it, it's a personal choice that I made. I wouldn't suggest doing so unless you talk to Dr.
I was started on the Wellbutrin at the same time as the Estrogel. Who's to know which has made the difference. Truly, I believe it's the estrogel.
Wellbutrin can cause excessive sweat and hot flushes! You may want to research some of it's side effects. I'm at a loss what to do, but one thing I know for sure is once I' m totally off the Wellbutrin and am back to feeling lousy, I'm going to probably have to go back on the Wellbutrin.
Sigh... tis such a jungle !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2006, 07:30 PM

Hi! I have tried the patch - had to stop that as I had trouble with the adhesive. Then onto estrogel. I have been on 2 pumps, down to 1.5 and then to 1 pump per day - only to make a full circle on the doses again. Nothing seems to work. I have put on about 12 pounds though since I have been on the estrogel, but didn't find I gained any weight while on the patch. Seeing the dr. next week and think I may have to ask to try progesterone cream to help with the fluid retention. I am exercising more, eating healthier and still gaining weight that won't seem to leave!!! I dont' know what to do next!! (except continue to gain weight! Help!
Unread 08-11-2006, 09:34 AM

hi ladies
i too am on estrogel- i use mostly one pump per day and i am very active. ihave basically been the same size- i have been on estrogel almost a year. The weight gain can simply be from unbalanced or unopposed estrogen. Progesterone in me does cause some weight gain and fluid retetion even though its not suppposed to. The wellbutrin can also cause weight gain though in a few people it does the opposite. Long story short we all have to find our sweet combo of hrt and stick with it. Could be 2 pumps at one time are causing a spike and then dropping off as the day goes on causing an imbalance. Try using one inthe morning and one at night if you need the second. i use testosterone to balance mine out- but if it gets too high it can cause weight gain too in the form of muscle if you exercise alot like me. it is possible to lose weight on hrt many women have done it you just have to find your balance and dont give up!
Unread 08-11-2006, 05:19 PM

I hate to admit to be a psychiatric patient, but I am. for many years. Seldom does Wellburtin cause weight gain. If you have gained weight and are taking wellburtin and SOMETHING ELSE- the chances are it is the s SOMETHING ELSE that is causing weight gain. it just so seldom causes weight gain, most people, actually lose weight.

anyway, i use estrogel too. i use 1 pump a day. I do ok on that. If I can gain at least it is in the hips and thighs instead of belly. that is one thing i notced right away with estrogen, weight gain was no in the belly, but the hips and thighs. just like when you had ovaries.
I like estrogel, it dries quickly and seems to provide good blood levels. i am 53 so i dont' need as much estrogen as someone 33. so 2 pumps may be more appropriate for younger ladies. For me, estrogel vagifem, 3x week, occ testosterone, sems to work. I gave up on progesterone. I think I may have benefited from it years ago, but now it is too late. Unless I am stressed, then nothing works.
best of luck
v
Unread 08-12-2006, 08:43 AM

the thing to remember is everyone is different and each med affects us differently . oral steroids cause most people to bloat and gain weight when they are sick and with me i lose weight on them. if you did not start gaining until you started the wellbutrin then most likely it is that, but if you hormones are unbalanced again that could be the culprit.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register