1 month post op- losing my mind? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 month post op- losing my mind? 1 month post op- losing my mind?

Unread 01-04-2010, 09:44 AM
1 month post op- losing my mind?

I'm 25 years old and one month post op from a LSH, including both ovaries, due to Endometriosis. Due to extensive endo on my bladder and intestines, my GYN has told me to hold off on the estrogen patches until the hot flashes and other menopause symptoms become so bad I can't tolerate it anymore. I guess he's afraid the estrogen will just feed the remaining endo and cause me more issues.

I've noticed that since I've had the surgery, I've become more and more confused. I seriously feel like I'm losing my mind. Before, the last thing anyone would say about me was that I was 'flighty', now, it's the only word I can think to describe myself. I find that I have to think really hard to remember common words that I use on a daily basis- I can't remember times or dates, I can barely remember what day it is that day. My husband will SWEAR he told me something, and I won't remember a single bit of what he told me. This is getting progressively worse and worse.

Has anyone else had this experience and did the HRT help at all? Was yours related to menopause? Or may there be something else going on with me?

My doctor also prescribed Ambien to help me sleep, and I've had to use it since the surgery. I notice if I stay up at all after I take it, it makes me feel the same way- confused and like my brain is working 10 times slower then normal. Could it be the Ambien causing this?

Anyone with any experience with either of these things, I'd appreciate it so much. I'm at an absolute loss right now and I feel like I'm losing my mind.. I have an appointment with my doctor this week to discuss the horrible depression I've had (I know that's related to the hormones) but I definitely want to talk to him about this too. But I'd like to go in there knowing if this is common for post op patients or not?

Thank you all so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Re: 1 month post op- losing my mind?

I am sorry to hear that you are going through this. I know that after a hysterectomy your hormones change a lot. There are a lot of women here that can help you!!!!
Unread 01-04-2010, 02:34 PM

Beats me too! I put milk in the cabinent, stuff like that, feel scattered but don't think my episodes are as sever as yours. I am also taking Ambien because I cannot sleep without it. I never had problems before and I cannot take HRT because of family cancer history. I've gotten a little better as time as passed. I am three months out now but still very tired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2010, 06:34 PM

I am 10 weeks post op and doing alot of the same things you are. I've been having the memory problems for a lil over a year now but since my surgery it is really bad. I haven't asked my doc about it yet but I'm with you. I think it is lack of estrogen and I can't have any hormones yet either because of endo. My doc wants me to wait at least 6 months. but I'm having horrible migraines now and I don't know if I can wait another 4 months or not! Let me know what you find out when you go to the doctor.
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:35 PM

You are not losing your mind. There is a really good article on this site about "Brain Fog". I'm posting it here, hopefully it will work. I fnot it is called, "Is Brain Fog Real", just look it up on the site. Good luck, and don't worry you are not losing your mind!!

Well, it won't let me post the link, so try putting the title in the search engine on this site.
Unread 01-04-2010, 09:41 PM

I don't know about the ambien effects. I'd do a google on that. But as far as not having hormones because of endo, I've heard that a lot on this site. I've also seen a lot of women here who have had relief from taking an antidepressant when they could not take hormones.

Hang in there,

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register