3 weeks post op- skin folds over incision is this due to swelling? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 weeks post op- skin folds over incision is this due to swelling? 3 weeks post op- skin folds over incision is this due to swelling?

Unread 09-19-2011, 11:35 AM
3 weeks post op- skin folds over incision is this due to swelling?

Hi,
I am a 27 year old mother of 3 boys 3 years and under. I am 4 days away from being 4 weeks post abdominal hysterectomy. I don't have my ovaries and other than not being able to keep my Climara patch on for the full week I feel better than I thought I would. It has been a challenge caring for my boys especially my six month old since I can not lift him and I struggled with fecal impaction caused by chronic constipation which was horrible!! Due to this I am not taking any pain pills because they cause constipation, but all and all I really just am not experiencing much pain that would warrant taking anything. I still have some swelling and there is like a lip where the skin folds over my incision... will this always be there? Or is it due to the swelling? I don't like it, I want my tummy to be flat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Re: 3 weeks post op- skin folds over incision is this due to swelling?

I am 6 weeks post op and have the same thing going on. My tummy did not look like this before surgery. I was told that the cause is from swelling the fact that our organs bladder and bowel have shifted down to fill in the space. I was told that once the swelling goes away it will look better but not gone. I hope everyone is wrong.
Unread 09-19-2011, 06:19 PM

I hope they are wrong too!!! I have always had a flat tummy and although I just had a baby 6 months ago and had all my boys close together (all 15 months apart) my tummy always went back to being flat after delivering them. So this skin fold is not something that is welcomed at all!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2011, 06:57 PM

There is hope. My skin fold/shelf/overhang/whatever you want to call it... is 98% gone on one side (just a little indentation at the scar) and about 95% gone on the other (more swelling really, not a fold) and I did have a definite fold after surgery. I was horrified to discover what my tummy looked like after post-op. Both my doctors, PCP and surgeon told me that it should go away. Does my tummy look like it did prior to surgery... well no but it is something I can live with now. Right after surgery, I was heading for the plastic surgeon if it had stayed looking like that. I am eating well and exercising to help things along. I am down 10 lbs from the morning of surgery so my eating well and exercising is working. I think that massaging the incision once it was healed helped too. Just realize that it takes months and months for it to get better. If you are younger than me, your skin is probably more resilient than mine and should go back faster. I hope this helps.
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:14 PM

Thanks Danni for giving me some hope I eat really healthy (organic all natural foods without artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives) and I plan on exercising when I am in the clear to do so. Before my surgery I weighed 143 and now almost 4 weeks after I weigh 135. I didn't know those organs weighed so much lol I also think the detox drink they had me drink before surgery aided in getting rid of a lot of waste that was weighing me down. Anyway, thanks so much for shedding some light on the subject.
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:20 PM

I was similar to you about the initial weight loss. I went into surgery weighing 155 and a few days after surgery, I was down to 148. I gained that back by the end of 6 weeks because of my limited exercise and the good food my hubby made for me (he is a gourmet cook). I am now down to 145 through careful eating and the walking (I do a daily 10 to 12 km brisk walk). Good luck you!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register