TVH How long does urinary retention last? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long does urinary retention last? How long does urinary retention last?

Unread 11-17-2013, 12:37 PM
How long does urinary retention last?

I had a TVH on 11/7 due to severe uterine/cystocele/rectal prolapse. Spent two nights in hospital - first night I was still catheterized but I kept telling the night nurse it wasn't draining. She'd look and say it was fine and that the feeling like I needed to pee was normal. Finally hours later I told her I was in a lot of pain and was practically in tears telling her the catheter wasn't working. They messed around with my catheter and ended up draining 1400 mL (that is not an exaggeration). I felt much better but my bladder literally hurt and was sore all night. At the same time my entire left side from butt down had been numb and was in a lot of pain since the surgery. When they went to release me I wasn't able to pee on my own so they put in a foley and sent me on my way. Two days later I went back to my doctor and they removed the Foley and taught me to self-catheterize. On day 8 post-op they had to do another surgery to remove the sutures which were apparently sitting on the nerve causing the pain on my left side. So now here I am at home, finally getting some feeling back in my leg but still unable to pee. I try Nd try but it's like my body just doesn't know what to do. How long does this last? I really hate catheters, I have a very narrow urethra and they're always so uncomfortable. Also I think I'm having bladder spasms sometimes while using the catheter and it hurts so bad. Of course I got a UTI from all this so I'm on antibiotics now but no pain killers as I broke into head to toe hives from any of the ones they tried to give me. Any suggestions on jump starting my bladder? I'm so depressed and frustrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Re: How long does urinary retention last?

It depends on what is causing the urinary retention. What does your doctor say?

I had a very similar experience after my TVH with A&P repairs. I had 1500 mL drain out after they finally re-inserted the Foley when I'd tried all day to urinate and couldn't. I was told that the problem was the swelling in that region, which was pinching the urethra shut so nothing could pass; it wasn't actually the bladder at all. I was sent home with the Foley for a week, after which I removed it myself (they'd shown me how) at home and was able to urinate fine, though I had to retrain myself to go longer between visits to the bathroom at first.

If your situation is like mine was, time will allow the swelling to go down, and it's important not to overdo it because that can cause the swelling to last longer.

(((hugs))),
-Linda
Unread 11-17-2013, 01:05 PM
How long does urinary retention last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdaug View Post
Any suggestions on jump starting my bladder? I'm so depressed and frustrated.
Unfortunately, I haven't experienced the same thing your going through but I do know running the faucet after I had my catheter taken out was the only thing that would let me relax & go for the first several times. I also struggled with the catheter straight out of surgery but I'm lucky to be home & going ok now.

I wish you luck as you figure this out & in sending positive thoughts your way for a better recovery!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2013, 01:48 PM

I am only 3 days post-op TAH but am currently dealing with the same thing. Catheter removed early morning day 1 & after a few hours and many unsuccessful attempts to pee on my own the nurses did an in&out catheter and drained over 1200mL urine. This was repeated a second time before a Foley catheter was re-inserted for the night. Yesterday was a repeat of the previous day and ended with a Foley being put back in for the night. So far today I've had one in&out catheter and my bladder has to be scanned after every time I pee. The on-call gyne said that between the bladder not liking being handled, being that over distended a few times and the pain meds it all adds up to my bladder needing time to heal and I may be going home tomorrow with a catheter for a week.
Hope you can get your bladder working soon and don't need to keep self-cathing.
Unread 11-17-2013, 03:57 PM

I'm 3 weeks out and still having peeing issues. But I have IC as well. It can take awhile. One thing I have found to help with bladder spasms is to lie down on your side and put a heating pad (I have one I microwave) on your bladder. This has helped me a ton. Helps with that "I gotta go" feeling. I haven't found anything else that helps with this.

It is very frustrating - I am so frustrated myself. It really slows down healing and resuming any normal activity a ton. I keep telling myself that this too shall pass. It is from surgery, I will recover. I pray for recovery for all of us.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register