Help! I'm confused!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help! I'm confused!! Help! I'm confused!!

Unread 05-25-2001, 04:02 PM
Help! I'm confused!!

I am having a vag. hyst. in 6 days and am confused on a few things. Let me start on why I am having this done. After our 3rd baby I had a tubal done. (Dec. 99) Ever since then I have had really painful and heavy periods. It would get soo bad my hubby would have to stay home and take care of the kids for the first few days. (he owns his business, which really helped!) My previous doctor put me on different birth control pills and pain meds - nothing helped. My mother told me to go to the dr who done her hyst. He examined me and found nothing really wrong. He did know how hard it was on me since he said my mom had the same things going on. He gave me a depo provera shot and said this should help since I should not have any more bleeding - maybe some spotting. Two weeks after that I was occasionally spotting (dead, brown blood) but I would be cramping badly when nothing was going on. I went back and he said it might get better and I could wait or we could sched. surgery now. Of course I opted for the surgery. That was in the beginning of May. Since then I was doing the same thing, spotting brown blood and cramping. Dr prescribed a pill called Medroxyprogesterone and said this should end it. This last week I started really bleeding bright red - almost like a light period and the pain is horrible. He prescribed the same thing and it is doing nothing - but I feel it is too close to do anything more.

I had never heard of the vag. hyst. He said it would work good because of the children I have had. He said he will leave one ovary in for the hormones. I don't understand this very well - what is the difference between leaving both and taking one? He said prior to surgery that morning I will recieve a shot in my abdomen to thin my blood out so I have no clots. I have never heard of that either. Is there anyone out there who can help me understand this a little better? Anything would be helpful! Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2001, 04:19 PM
Vaginal Hysterectomy

Hi Mary -

I am 10 days post-op and had a laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy. The vaginal hysterectomy is much less invasive than the one with an abdominal incision. The stitches are mostly on the inside with a vaginal and you won't have a big scar on your belly to deal with.

I didn't realize I would be having a shot in my abdomen to prevent blood clots either, but I think it's pretty standard before surgeries. It didn't even hurt.

Not sure why he would take one ovary and leave the other one unless you have cysts on one of them and the other one is OK. You should really sit down and discuss the reasons with your doctor. I'm sure he would be happy to answer your questions.

It sounds like you have had a terribly rough time the past couple of years. I'm glad that you finally found a doctor who will help you. Be sure to let us know how you are doing.
Unread 05-25-2001, 04:19 PM
Help! I'm confused!!

Mary:
I never heard of a Vaginal Hysterectomy until my suggested it to me. Well, I am now 4 weeks post-op today and feeling pretty good . Well, I can't answer your question about the injection for blood clots because I didn't need it but a vaginal hysterectomy is just what is sounds like. In the operating room I had an IV in one arm and a blood pressure cuff on the other arm and I could see that they were to be putting my legs in these hanging stir-ups that were at waist level (I was put to sleep so I don't remember any of the surgery) and during the surgery the (this is what mine told me) puts a protractor in your vagina to open you up and actually removes the uterus and cervix (and ovaries in your case) and actually pulls them out through the vagina than they staple everything up inside (with dissolvable staples), they also insert a cathetar to catch your urine.
My doctor said a TVH is usually less painful because you don't have the abdominal stitches. I can honestly say I have experienced a lot less pain than anticipated -but remember this is my experience and everyones elses is different. I hope this helps.

Robyn Das
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2001, 04:21 PM
Help! I'm confused!!

Hi Mary,

I too am scheduled for a Vag hyst and hope to keep one ovary. Keeping one ovary will allow you to still produce hormones so you don't go into menopause. One can do the work of two.

The shot in your stomach sounds like Heparin. It is a blood thinner. I have not heard many ladies here say they had that before surgery. I will have that shot because I have a clottin disorder and am prone to developing blood clots.

Hope this helps

Kim
Unread 05-25-2001, 04:30 PM
TVH

Hi I had my surgery Tuesday 5/22 and was home Thursday. The only problem I'm having so far is the gas pains. The ladies talked about that but I had/have sever gas pains. I don't even remember going into the surgery room, next thing I'm in room with DH. I'm really tired alot but other than that I don't feel like I've had surgery. That doesn't mean I don't take it easy! I'm not messing up and have to do this again! I didn't have that shot your talking about but we're all different.
All in all just relax its not that bad. I lost my uteris, cervix and kept ovaries. Above all RELAX after surgery. Good Luck
Unread 05-25-2001, 06:24 PM
Help! I'm confused!!

I am 6 weeks post-op from vaginal hyster and kept one ovary although the doctor wanted both out, one refused to cooperate. I believe I am a best case scenario but I had virtually no pain when I came home. I used Tylenol PM's over the counter stuff for 3-4 nites to sleep then nothing. I didn't even need the Rx stuff the Dr. prescribed. You will experience tiredness just as much as a TAH would. It can be a bit tender to sit on something hard such as a dining chair or computer chair.
I had a mild discharge for 10 days. I have to take iron supplements because I was anemic after the surgery.

All in all, not a big deal. Remember you have one chance to heal correctly, don't screw it up. Observe your weight lifting restrictions (same as for TAH) somewhere between 7-15 lbs for probably a month. No vacuuming cleaning as it has the same effect as lifting. Get lots of rest. I was able to drive after one week (as long as you are not on pain meds.) and if I was doing an activity one day, I was home the next resting. You will need your full time to rest just as the TAH ladies.
I returned to work full time this week. First 3 days were tiring and I was in bed by 7:30 each night. Tonight I feel fine.
Best of luck to you and big hugs,
Miranda
Unread 05-25-2001, 07:07 PM
Help! I'm confused!!

Hi Mary, I remember how confusing it was--trying to listen to every word the doctor said. Regarding the ovaries, could he have said he'd like to leave at least one...meaning that if he could he would leave two, but at least one? One ovary can take over and do just as well as two.

Even though you'll be having a TVH, recovery time will be just as long as if you had a TAH. That's because there's the same cutting and stitching done inside for both methods. Make sure you are clear on the discharge directions. Mine said no lifting anything over 5 lbs., no vacuuming, stairs no more than twice a day and nothing in vagina until your 6- weeks checkup.

Remember, this is major surgery whichever type you have. We all heal at different rates, but even if you feel great, you still need to take it easy. We usually say 6 weeks is needed to recover, but in reality it takes 6 months to a year to completely heal.

Best wishes,
Unread 05-26-2001, 06:55 PM
Hi....

I would like to add to Catherine's post--always, ALWAYS do what YOUR doctor says. Everybody heals differently, and I had a very positive attitude with my TAH but took the full six weeks off! (And, I have a very supportive DH and housecleaning once a week).

Best,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register