Numbness/Pain in left leg | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Numbness/Pain in left leg Numbness/Pain in left leg

Unread 07-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Numbness/Pain in left leg

My left thigh has been numb and painful to touch since my TAH 3 weeks ago...has anyone else had this occur?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Re: Numbness/Pain in left leg

My Right thigh has been numb and painful to touch since my complete hysterectomy for endometrial cancer 3 weeks ago tomorrow. The Dr. said it was probably the result of removing one or more of the lymph nodes on that side. That can affect the nerves in the legs somehow. I did have a visable bruise there. That's gone now, but the numbness and pain are still there.
Perfect Waves
Unread 07-08-2010, 07:11 PM

SMayhew -

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this.

However, it is not unusual to experience numbness due to nerves being messed with during the surgery.

In most instances it will decrease over several weeks. There are a few instances where it lingers long-term.

You are not even 4 weeks post-op yet so you have time. Initial recovery happens for 4 to 8 weeks; full recovery takes 6 months to a year.

G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2010, 02:05 PM

Hi Ladies,
I experienced the same thing in my right thigh. Dr said she thought mine was a peripheral nerve that hadn't fully woke up yet. It went away completely by week 5. It's different for all of us. Give it time, it should get better. I'm 9wks 2days post op and feel pretty good. Rest! Rest! Rest!

xoxo
Kristi
tvh/bso w/repairs 5/5/10
Unread 07-14-2010, 02:33 PM

Thanks...ladies!! I can't wait to keep sharing this journey with all of you!!
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:25 PM

I've been having the same problem. I had a TAH plus (for cancer staging had to have lymph nodes removed, etc...) and am still experiencing swelling, numbness, and occassional horrible jolting-electrical-like pain in my right thigh. My doctor has also told me it should go away after a while, except it has been over 6 weeks now and it is still there. I've done some research now and while I am still hoping it does go away, have figured out that the pain is likely being caused by inflamation or damage to the obturator nerve, which is nerve that runs from the spinal cord down through the pelvis to the thigh. During surgeries like ours (particularly when lymph nodes are being removed), this particular nerve (along with a major artery and vein) often times must be manipulated/pushed out of the way by the doctor. Here is a web site about the nerve:
www. wisegeek. com/what-is-the-obturator-nerve. htm
(When copying the link to your browser, delete the spaces before the word "wise" and "com" and "htm").
I'm guessing that this is probably the root of our thigh problems, but I'm not a doctor, so don't take my word for it!
Hope everyone feels better soon though!
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:28 PM

I haven't had this problem but I did wake up from my surgery with a numb right hand and inner arm. Since then, I have realized that I have no strength in any of my right arm.
Within the last 3 weeks, not only have I continued to recover, I have also started seeing a neurologist, had a nerve conduction study done, and an MRI of my neck/back. Thus far, the findings are that I have a bone spur on my c5/c6 that is pressing down on my spinal chord.
The only thing I can think of that made all of this happen the same time as my hysterectomy is that being that my dr tilted me on my head to do the surgery, all of that just triggered the aggrivation of the bone spur.

I hope you get some relief soon and it is no where near as complicated as my situation.

Happy Healing
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:35 PM

Awww...thanks GA70....it's a little better, Dr. said it was nerve damage and it will take months for the nerves to heal themselves...he doesn't know if I will ever b e 100% anymore though....I hope all works out for you...
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA70 View Post
I haven't had this problem but I did wake up from my surgery with a numb right hand and inner arm. Since then, I have realized that I have no strength in any of my right arm.
Within the last 3 weeks, not only have I continued to recover, I have also started seeing a neurologist, had a nerve conduction study done, and an MRI of my neck/back. Thus far, the findings are that I have a bone spur on my c5/c6 that is pressing down on my spinal chord.
The only thing I can think of that made all of this happen the same time as my hysterectomy is that being that my dr tilted me on my head to do the surgery, all of that just triggered the aggrivation of the bone spur.

I hope you get some relief soon and it is no where near as complicated as my situation.

Happy Healing
Yikes Karen,
How terrible! I'm so sorry to hear that you ended up with a new medical condition as a result of the other. What an ordeal. Hang in there hon.

I had a cyst on my shoulder a few months before I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and was going for physical therapy for it. I had lost a lot of strength in my arm and had no faith that physical therapy would do any good. I was shocked when it actually started to help! Good luck and feel better soon.
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:42 PM

Good news for me, and maybe for some of you, too. The numbness and pain in my right thigh started showing noticable improvement just yesterday at 3 weeks and 5 days. Thanks to winter_one for the info on the obturator nerve. It's always good to be able to put a name to something.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register