Did anyone else watch Dr Oz today? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did anyone else watch Dr Oz today? Did anyone else watch Dr Oz today?

Unread 07-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Did anyone else watch Dr Oz today?

Half the show was about hysterectomys and the fact that doctors are performing to many when they are not necessary.
Not sure what to think, I guess in about 3 or 4 months, I'll know if mine was a mistake, but right now I feel so much better I think I did the right thing!
Any other thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Re: Did anyone else watch Dr Oz today?

Never really cared for Dr Oz or Dr Phil or The Doctors.
Unread 07-29-2010, 02:27 PM

Hi, I too saw this show. I think the approach was one sided. I think it caused some women to feel bad that they followed their doctor's advise. I had pelvic organ prolapse so my reasons were a little different but even I felt sad I had my surgery watching this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2010, 02:38 PM

He is a cardilogist and very knowledgable in that area, but he needs to leave this decision to the women and their personal Dr.'s.
I have NO regrets, don't miss what was causing me problems.
Unread 07-29-2010, 02:38 PM

I also saw the hysterectomy show today. I am a fan of Dr. Oz but I felt that his hysterectomy show was rather biased against having a TAH/BSO hysterectomy. I believe the intent of his show was to simply present other alternatives if you have fibroids. Unfortunately, if any pre-op patients watched it, they may have been unduly frightened. I believe Dr. Oz wants to inform women of other alternatives to having major surgery because he doesn't feel that women are fully informed (and, unfortunately, some women don't research alternatives and may not know all their options, so he does a public service in that regard). However, citing the death statistic and seeing pre-op patients cry in confusion amounts to fear-mongering, I'm afraid, and one woman said she regretted her hysterectomy, etc. He did, however, pass around fibroids for audience members to touch(!) and had some computer animations, etc., so it was generally educational. I am very GLAD that I had my TAH/BSO five weeks ago, however.
Unread 07-29-2010, 02:39 PM

I saw it too. I thought, "how ironic that this would be on when I'm home recovering from a hyst." I do NOT regret having my procedure. I am one of the fibroid persons, and could have opted for any other procedure, or just living with the problems. I went into my doc's office for my annual exam and told her I am ready to be done with this "thing." I am not looking back. I guess I also fall into the category of "some cultures" who have hysts. My mother had it, and both my sisters. No complaints from this hystersister. It's wise, nevertheless, to have information and choices, but it was my choice, and my doc did not try to push it on me; she has been my OB/GYN physician for 20 years and knows quite well all of the problems I've endured. Whew... I feel like I've said a mouthful.
Unread 07-29-2010, 02:49 PM

I saw the show as well. It was educational, but I agree with you all here, he meant to inform but he also scared alot of people. I had my TLH on 7-5-10 because of a baseball size fibroid causing major bleeding and pain and because of cervical dysplasia (history of cervical cancer in family) kept my ovaries....I too DO NOT regret my choice to have a hysterectomy and I would do it again...because if it was a choice between cervical cancer or hysterectomy I will choose hysterectomy every time!!!
Unread 07-29-2010, 03:28 PM

When this episode aired a few months ago, it did cause me to briefly question my upcoming surgery, BUT the show was definitely biased.

I am nearing 7 weeks post op and have no regrets about my decision. While my recovery has not been without some problems, I am thrilled that I will no longer battle never ending periods/pain/fibroids/anemia. I am finally liberated from it all!!! My only regret is not doing it sooner. My gyn and I had been doing a watch and wait for nearly 6 years, but my fibroids and uterus started growing at a rapid rate during the last year.
Unread 07-29-2010, 03:40 PM

Very biased and i think he did a disservice to women.
Unread 07-29-2010, 03:41 PM

I dont watch tv doctors....

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register