Did anyone else watch Dr Oz today? - Page 3 | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did anyone else watch Dr Oz today? Did anyone else watch Dr Oz today?

Unread 07-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Re: Did anyone else watch Dr Oz today?

I feel like he gave a good view of what alternatives are available, but he also scared so many women facing the surgery. I think we all need to have confidence in our own doctors to make the right choice for our treatment. I had been diagnosed with cervical cancer so I only had 2 choices, one was radical hysterectomy the other, chemo and radiation. I feel like I made the best choice for my self. We are all just trying to do the right thing. Bad things can happen in any situation. Risks are taken everyday. I pray and I go from there. I trust in the Lord to help me in every situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2010, 07:32 PM

I didn't see the show, but I've seen him present one-sided arguments on Oprah. For instance, the show on diabetes. There was no distinction between Type I and II. He pretty much insinuated that if you had diabetes, you did it to yourself by being fat and out of shape. Then there was the time he said if you were taking narcotics longer than 2 weeks, you were addicted and should check into rehab. It would be nice if they presented opposing views (e.g. someone with Type I; someone with chronic pain, etc.)

He's good for entertainment value, but that's about it, IMO.
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:50 PM

Ironicly my husband was watching the show as I was looking through hystersisters LOL....My husband was telling me what was going on and I said a few choice words! As far as him just trying to inform people....My personal opinion is that it is our job to inform ourselves, and to ask our own personal doctors! For someone to say that hyster's are being performed too much they don't know what it is that we women are going through! In my case I started my period at 9 and from that day on had terrible periods...and after having my DD 2 1/2 years ago I was unable to do anything I tried every approach before my hyster....At 24 I even went as far as to take the lupron shot which doesn't even work for adenomyosis.....I stand by mine and my doctors decision of having a hyster! Its comments like this that really annoy me and anger me! Its my body and I know what I am going through! ....Ok ok venting is over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2010, 08:00 PM

I don't watch Dr. Oz. Although, my recovery wasn't without problems, I am glad to be done with the bleeding everyday and pain caused by my large fibroids. Look forward to when everything is better.
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:44 PM

OMG! I totally saw this and burst into tears...like I wasn't feeling bad enough about it a;ready! but after watching I think he was just trying to promote the idea of make sure you got all the information. For me, I don't regret the decision and am so looking forwrad to my "new life" when I heal.
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:02 PM

I watched this very one sided episode of Dr. Oz back when it originally aired back in Feb. I remember because it was the day that I had my endometrial ablation. I was at a point then when I was trying what I could to avoid major surgery. That procedure made my problems so much worse. I began to pass out from the blood clots after that, I could no longer drive as a result, and my quality of life was zilch! I made an informed decision after doing my own research which is what we all have done. Making the decision to have my hysterectomy was the best thing that I've ever done for myself! I have NO REGRETS!! It's been 7 weeks for me and I can't wait to feel completely back to me again. I know it will take time.
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:08 PM

I saw it on my 12 week anniversary. I saw my gyn today (sse my post "scary day at 12 weeks" and told her about it. I had my because of adenomyosis and bleeding - the Dr said no one's ever needed a hyster more than me.
I thought he'd talk about ablation, IUD's etc.
As for the high numbers, I feel like the insurance companies moniter the numbers, since it costs them money.
It's the first time I ever watched Dr. Oz, and will probably be the last.
Holly
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:20 PM

I watched it and I have NO regrets about having my hysterectomy 2 weeks ago.

I wish that I had pushed my regular ob/gyn doc to have it 5 years ago when I had the endometrial ablation.

I took birth control pills for several years to try and lessen the horrible bleeding and clots I had, and developed several blood clots in my lungs after having an undiagnosed DVT, so after I couldn't take the pill any more, I started having to wear Depends every month when I had my period so I wouldn't bleed on my clothes at work.

My ob/gyn, who I love, told me about ablation and said it would solve my problem, since I couldn't take the pill any more. I remember saying to her "Why don't we just take my uterus out once and for all so I won't have to worry about it any more?" She answered me that I was so high risk (obesity, previous history of PE's & DVT's, hypertension, sleep apnea) that this would be better and I wouldn't be put at as much risk than if we did the hysterectomy. So I took her advice and had the ablation. It did work in that I didn't have a period for the last 5 years at all, which has been great, but when I started having the SEVERE pelvic pain and nausea and vomiting each month, I had to go to about 6 doctors before I finally found one who correctly diagnosed me and took the chance to do a hysterectomy on me, even though I am a high risk patient.

I pray that having the hysterectomy solves my severe pain and nausea problem. The surgeon told me the only way we're going to know for sure is to wait -- time will tell.

Thanks,

Dana B. in Houston, TX
1992 - Endometriosis & D & C
2005 - Novasure Endometrial Ablation for heavy bleeding
7/16/2010 - da Vinci assisted laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy for fibroids, severe pelvic pain & nausea/vomiting (kept ovaries)
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:32 AM

When Dr. Oz feels compelled to walk around in public holding his lower left side to try to control the pain, and when he is so drained his color is palor and when he is in fear of staining his clothes during a work day... then and only then can he say there are too many, wasn't going to take the lupro, wasn't going for a myomectomy and then have to have a hyster later down the line, just do it and let me live and I did and I am. Maybe the numbers are high, but there are a lot of women in this country and we want quality AND quantity of life.
Prostate cancer is epidemic and men should be willing to take whatever steps is necessary to live and live happily for whatever time we have left.
Done ranting now, going to go run errands as I feel good.
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:48 AM

Dr.Oz was great .Enjoyed the show yesterday

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register