Intercourse for 1st time since surgery..help | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Intercourse for 1st time since surgery..help Intercourse for 1st time since surgery..help

Unread 08-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Intercourse for 1st time since surgery..help

Well, went to the doctor yesterday for my 6 week post op check up. Doctor said everything looked good, healed well and such. Doctor said that my husband and I could have sex, but to take it easy and missionary position only. Of course, I was a little scared and such. Thinking will it hurt, feel different, will I be dry, should we use something to help.
Well, we finally did have sex and it did fell different and it was uncomfortable. There was no real pain, just uncomfortable. After I went to the bathroom and noticed some red discharge. I wouldn't call it heavy or even bright red, more of a pink color. So, know I'm a bit freaked out, thinking that somethings wrong. Any ladies out there have any insight to this, is this normal for the first time since LAVH????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Re: Intercourse for 1st time since surgery..help

Nope... that pinkish discharge is normal. Use a water based lube (KY, KY Silk-E, Astroglide, etc) next time. Might not stop that bit of discharge, but it can't hurt.

Nope... the "uncomfortable" feeling is normal. It was probably exacerbated by the fact you were scared and tense. Try to relax a bit more next time.

Everything's been discombobulated down there, just remember that next time and relax... try a glass of wine or warm soak (if allowed) before getting down to business. It might take a few tries to get used to the "new you!"
Unread 08-11-2010, 09:18 PM

kt -

Not exactly sure why your Dr. might say missionary only so you might ask that. For many they start with or do lady on top so you can control the depth and level of thrust.

Please take it easy on yourself. It does take awhile for everything to adjust.

G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2010, 09:34 PM

I had a TAH, so no trauma to the vagina other than the vaginal cuff....even so, after the first time I did have pinkish discharge.....then, the second time I had some pinkish discharge as well...

I would guess that things will get better as things continue to heal and toughen up, so to speak.....i have told my hubby that I need about 3 days in between, just to kind of recover a bit...
Unread 08-11-2010, 09:40 PM

I agree... don't know why DR said missionary...but I found being on top much better (my DR suggested this,as well as the sisters on here)...no pain or discharge!!! Actually didn't have a problem with dryness either-Yay!!! I do recommend the water based lube just in case it is needed. It does take time to get the "bugs" worked out so to speak...

The only difference for me was the pain from before the hyster was gone and I could truly enjoy it!!! Hope this helps you some!!! I actually no longer have my migraines since the hyster...that is great!!!

Be sure and ask your DR about the different position!!! Sending prayers that everything works out for you!!! I am 9 mos post-op and it was the best decision I have ever made...I have my life back!!!
Unread 08-12-2010, 04:40 AM

I still have about 3 1/2 weeks before I'm released to work, sex etc. I'm so glad to read these responses and have an idea of what to expect. I would have been scared had I noticed the pink discharge and not known it was normal. Thankful for a place to get these answers.
Unread 08-12-2010, 09:28 AM

Missionary position?? My Dr said guy on top only to start out with.
He said MP would be too deep and cause discomfort. But I did have Vag Hyst, not abdominal. That might be why.
Just like we are all different with our healing, so are doctors and their instructions.

I was telling a Sister yesterday to just concentrate on getting past the entry and relaxation part first. It will take a few times for that to happen. The "O"s can come later on.
Our bodies have been thru alot! It's gonna take time to get back to where we were before surgery, with our sex lives.

First priority is to heal well first. I KNEW I wasn't ready at 6 weeks. Waited til 8. All went well.

Take care of you first Sister!!

Happy and continued healing to all.............

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register