6 weeks post op tomorrow - pain and swelling still - Page 3 | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 weeks post op tomorrow - pain and swelling still 6 weeks post op tomorrow - pain and swelling still

Unread 09-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Re: 6 weeks post op tomorrow - pain and swelling still

I'm reading about follow up visits and I had a 1 week then a 4 week where the doc said I was just a bit behind average for speed of healing. My biggest concern is that I've overdone it (handling a 50lb flower pot) among other things. How does a doc check for scar tissue - ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyneve View Post
Heather did you go right into surgery after that Dr. visit? Did they have to give you the general anesthesia and all? I hope that you are doing a lot better now. It is hard because before the TAH we go through pain, heavy periods, discomfort well the works and then after the TAH it is a whole lot of other stuff to go through and hope that everything goes well in the process of recovery. Well I won't bother you any further today. Happy Labor Day. I hope you can have a relaxing day. Thank you for your response you have been very helpful.
I had my doc appt on the 15th of Aug. and my surgery was the 25th of Aug. Yes I was "put under"! (I hate that!!!) I am doing much better this time around. I feel as though I can relate more to other sisters on here with there recovery. Everytime I would come on here after my hyster I would see posts from sisters that had their surgery the same time as I did (and the same one) and say, "WOW, I wish I felt like that!!" I felt as though I was always complaining, being a pain to my family, and there was never an end in sight!!!
You are not a bother! I am happy to share what ever information I can give. We are on this site for a reason....to help each other out!!!
I hope you had a wonderful Labor Day! We celebrated our daughters 5th birthday! Can already tell I did way to much yesterday!!!! Going to be a long day for me!!!!
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tettel View Post
I'm reading about follow up visits and I had a 1 week then a 4 week where the doc said I was just a bit behind average for speed of healing. My biggest concern is that I've overdone it (handling a 50lb flower pot) among other things. How does a doc check for scar tissue - ?
I am not 100% sure on how a doc checks for scar tissue. My doc found all of my scar tissue when she went in laproscopically to deal with my fallopian tube. Once she was in there she found so many more things and one of them being all the scar tissue! I hope that you are feeling well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2011, 03:30 AM

Thank you for putting me at ease, as I am now 3 weeks post op (my original date was cancelled after sitting in the bed for 4 hours!!!!!!) and I am sore, swollen and have cramps too. Think all the meds are wearing off this week as not feeling as good as I did also I'm still leaking but not heavy and not bright red, just a continual orange trickle which makes you uncomfortable. Kidneys and back are also sore, think this is normal? Will see the doctor on Wednesday so will get updates then. Wishing everyone else well
Unread 09-09-2011, 06:29 AM

Hi Sampin It is normal to feel the soreness and swelling. Good thing you are going to your Dr. make sure that you make a list of all the questions you may want to ask. everyone is different and we all recover differently. I am at 6 weeks post up going on 7 weeks and I still feel sore and swelling at times. My back is still achy especially when you over do it with house work. Try to take it easy, you need to rest. I was told to do a lot of walking but you know your body and if you feel extra tired you stop and rest. My belly swells most in the evening after a long day. I hope you have a speedy recovery.
Unread 09-10-2011, 01:19 AM

lyneve....thanks for your support. Good to know we are all normal
Unread 09-10-2011, 06:30 AM

Hi Heather,

Thanks for your support. I have one more week before I return to work. I am hoping that I am way better. I am doing a lot more around the house and at the end of the day I feel really achy, swelly belly and all. I know that recovery goes longer than the 6 - 8 weeks because our insides have to heal. I just feel like I've been slow at recovering. I do feel much better, it is just at the end of the day after you do so much you feel it all in the evening. I feel like my family probably gets tired of hearing me complain I thank God for this site and all of my hyster sisters. You have all been very helpful. I hope your daughter enjoyed her 5th birthday. Have a great weekend.
Unread 09-17-2011, 05:26 AM

I am now 6 weeks and 4 days post op and have been back at work since week 5 (only half days). I start back full time on Mon. Apart from being tired I have coped well. Still get swelly belly on and off. Went for my first big walk today at the gym. Had hoped to get to 3km's but started to feel achey at 1.8k's so slowed pace and hopped off at 2km. Not exactly a marathon, but a good start. Have been thinking about returning to swimming (maybe just 500m-1km to start) but not sure if it will be too much as I felt that familiar pulling sensation when walking today. Anyone else a swimmer? How soon did you return to it as a form of hard exercise? Hope all the sisters are taking care and remembering to rest when needed. Hugs to all.
Unread 09-17-2011, 05:44 AM

Hi Nikkig
I am happy to hear that you are recovering well. At 5 weeks I was still experiencing many symptoms. I had a set back as my incision was not closing well in the middle and got infected. I also had scar tissue in the middle. It took me a while and the doctor actually gave me clearance to start lifting and bending at 6 weeks. I am now 8 weeks on Monday and I am a lot better but I still have the swelling and achy feeling at times and I feel spasms at the incision at times. Everyone is different, some slower than others. I guess I am slow at recovering. I hope all is well at your end, have a wonderful weekend.
Unread 09-18-2011, 04:52 AM

Hi Lyneve
I felt like I took a few paces back earlier on but have been very careful and followed Dr instructions completely. All of a sudden things turned around and I started to feel better physically. I am definately clearer mentally. I keep expecting to see that I have started my period though. I guess that will take time to get used too. I did get back in the pool today but could only manage 350m as I felt that pulling sensation again. I stopped immediately and rested and feel OK now. I guess it will take longer than expected for a full recovery. Glad you are now feeling better. Hopefully the spasms stop soon. I think the aching will reduce as we get further along too. Remember to rest and take care of yourself.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register