Painful bowel movements | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Painful bowel movements Painful bowel movements

Unread 09-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Painful bowel movements

I had my surgery last Wednesday. I'm feel ok as long as I'm on pain killers. My main problem is very painful bowel movements. I'm not really constipated but when I comes, I get scared. Last night I felt like a gave birth out of there. Is this just me, why is this happening? We did not have surgery there..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Re: Painful bowel movements

Hello,

I had pain the first time too, and it's probably because all those parts are very close together there. When the stool comes through it probably puts pressure on the vaginal cuff, and it hurts. I even have a little spotting when I go.

I expect that it is normal, but it's one of the things I plan to ask when I go in for my post-op visit tomorrow. Hope it gets better for you soon!
Unread 09-19-2011, 01:48 PM

I had a TAH and my bowel movements were quite painful at first too. I think it must be from the general trauma from the surgery to the insides there. I remember doing my "birth" breathing a few times....hang in there, it should get better with time....

Try to relax, my doc told me to stay on stool softeners for a few weeks while things got settled again, and it did help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2011, 01:49 PM

Having some pain or discomfort with a bm is normal, especially early in recovery. I'm 5 weeks out today and still have slight discomfort. It does get better.
Unread 09-19-2011, 03:13 PM

The reason the pain most likely happens is because there was a lot of manipulation done during surgery -- they usually have to move at least a portion of your intestines out of the way no matter what kind of surgery you had. Also, another factor is that when you are put under general anesthesia, several of your body's systems slow waaaaaaaay down -- that's why they intubate you to keep you breathing! Peristalsis, which is the wave-like motion through your intestines that keeps things moving, stops when you're under general anesthetic, which is why it is SUCH a big deal to find out when you're passing gas and when you have your first BM post-op again. That could account for the pain, too . . . getting re-started isn't always an easy process. So even though we didn't have surgery "there", it was still affected quite a bit.

I hope things ease up for you soon! Have you been drinking a lot of water? I've been drinking tons since my surgery, and even though my first BM wasn't until today (post-op day 5) I haven't had any pain or discomfort with it at all.

Best wishes!!
Unread 09-20-2011, 12:13 AM

Wow! Thank you all for your support. I'm so happy to have received so much love and advise. I'm going to my doctor tomorrow. Take care my sisters ...

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register