Hysterectomy recovery can be so hard and frustrating... for so many reasons! - Page 4 | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy recovery can be so hard and frustrating... for so many reasons! Hysterectomy recovery can be so hard and frustrating... for so many reasons!

Unread 08-18-2016, 08:19 PM
Re: Hysterectomy recovery can be so hard and frustrating... for so many reasons!

Day 8. This is harder than I thought it would be. The constipation nearly killed me but got through it.

I've been trying to do some light exercise coupled with rest. I will feel well and then BAM - exhausted. Not a day goes by where I'm not nauseous.

I know it's only 8 days - just surprised at how I feel sick - not pain - just sick.

Like I said - harder than I thought.
Cate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2016, 08:33 PM
Hysterectomy recovery can be so hard and frustrating... for so many reasons!

Your post made me feel so much better, I did have to have a good cry this evening. I'm at 4 weeks and totally overdid it today. Very good to know I'm not alone... Thank you!
Unread 08-19-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateK View Post
Day 8. This is harder than I thought it would be. The constipation nearly killed me but got through it.

I've been trying to do some light exercise coupled with rest. I will feel well and then BAM - exhausted. Not a day goes by where I'm not nauseous.

I know it's only 8 days - just surprised at how I feel sick - not pain - just sick.

Like I said - harder than I thought.
Cate
Hi.there. I'm felt the same way. I couldn't believe how awful I felt. Feeling sick was mine it lasted about 14 days. Every time I went in the car it got worse. . Feeling exhausted I still feel like that to after 6wks post op i had a (TAH) . I couldnt stop crying so i hat to go back to doctors cos i was really not coping with that. I'm just starting to feel a bit normal. Please just listen to your doctor and your body. .The hardest operation I have ever had . But you will get there. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2016, 02:51 AM

Yes there was no way I could have known what to expect recovery wise. I'm at 6 weeks.. I can't believe it... I feel like my head has just suddenly popped up above water! I did have a urinary infection that made me feel pretty ill.I didn't expect the extent of the pain and being so utterly tired and wiped out.It certainly is a longer recovery period than what I expected. I told my employer I would be back after 4-6 weeks. That sure didn't happen! I honestly think it will be another 4 weeks before I can go back to my active community service job.
Unread 08-19-2016, 05:52 AM
Re: Hysterectomy recovery can be so hard and frustrating... for so many reasons!

I'm at 10 days and still in bed. I live in a three story house and I've been stuck on the third floor. I had a really bad infection and then had an allergic reaction (thick red rash that covered my face and chest) while at the hospital. I stayed two extra days there than planned. I am trying to get off Percocet and just use ibuprofen, but it's so hard to sleep with this horrible wierd stretchy pain. When I had my kids it was easier than this. Or maybe they were super cute and I didn't care about the pain? LOL so glad I had the TVH but thought I'd be back to me. Doctor kept saying how minimally invasive it was, which it was but still very painful. I have been walking to my daughters room to help her pick out clothes for school every morning and walking to the bathroom to shower, etcetera everyday. Recovery is really slow but I'm determined to take it easy so I heal right.
Unread 08-19-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidase View Post
Yes there was no way I could have known what to expect recovery wise. I'm at 6 weeks.. I can't believe it... I feel like my head has just suddenly popped up above water! I did have a urinary infection that made me feel pretty ill.I didn't expect the extent of the pain and being so utterly tired and wiped out.It certainly is a longer recovery period than what I expected. I told my employer I would be back after 4-6 weeks. That sure didn't happen! I honestly think it will be another 4 weeks before I can go back to my active community service job.
I'm 6 weeks and 2 days today, I had a UTI and wounds infection following surgery and now I have a kidney infection, set back upon set back! And yet more antibiotics! Added to the fact that I HAVE to go back to work Monday, I've no choice but I am so not ready!my GP thinks I should have longer, she saying anything up to 12 weeks but it's not an option! Everything still hurts, possible due to the infection, but I can't lift, bending, stretching all hurts and I've not been signed off yet to drive! Nightmare and far worse recovery than I ever anticipated. I'm so glad I wrote the post now, I was seeing that so many ladies had surely after I had but seemed to be doing so much better, I've since learned it's crucial to remember that we all had surgery for differ at reasons and everyone recovers at a different speed. I hope that you are recovering well and fe feeling ok today.
Unread 08-19-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell2016 View Post
I'm 6 weeks and 2 days today, I had a UTI and wounds infection following surgery and now I have a kidney infection, set back upon set back! And yet more antibiotics! Added to the fact that I HAVE to go back to work Monday, I've no choice but I am so not ready!my GP thinks I should have longer, she saying anything up to 12 weeks but it's not an option! Everything still hurts, possible due to the infection, but I can't lift, bending, stretching all hurts and I've not been signed off yet to drive! Nightmare and far worse recovery than I ever anticipated. I'm so glad I wrote the post now, I was seeing that so many ladies had surely after I had but seemed to be doing so much better, I've since learned it's crucial to remember that we all had surgery for differ at reasons and everyone recovers at a different speed. I hope that you are recovering well and fe feeling ok today.
Monday?! That seems a bit harsh. Do you need to return to work because you will get fired or need the money to survive? I'm in a similar situation. I am supposed to return Monday after 13 days post surgery. The owner of the company I work for read on the internet that I could return that quickly. I've had an infection and allergic reaction to antibiotics that landed me two extra days in the hospital last week. I really need the money or my husband is going to start Uber driving. I hate my job and the owner, so no love lost there. But a job is a job and I'm not a quitter. I actually like the work I do, just not the environment, etc. That said, I've been through it the past 20 years. It's hard to keep a job when your cancer keeps coming back. Bills keep stacking up. I claimed bankruptcy before I was 25. Maybe it's the first time in almost two weeks without Percocet clouding my mind to see, but I'm going to let it all fall where it does. My health is too important. My family is too important. My husband sat in our bedroom on the floor in tears after I came home, saying he was so glad that I was okay. He was afraid of losing me. I would like to say that this is first time we'd had this conversation, but it's not. I'm tired of my body not being my own my life not being my own, and for the first time in 20 years I feel like with this hysterectomy I have some sort of control back. I'm not going to screw up this new chance, by letting anyone tell me how I should feel or how I should heal. It's not easy. I'll pray for you and your situation.
Unread 08-19-2016, 01:51 PM

This post really hit home. Feel all your pain. My op date was 9th August. Ive never been in hospital before so nearly ran out the night before. I had my uterus removed only by laparascopic means.
I have beem signed off for 6 weeks. Up and down days. Agree with the fact people think you look okay but they dont know what is really going on !
I am fortunate to work in the National Health Service as a Nurse. They leave you in peace.
I got a fright doing pelvic floor exercises last Monday. I then started getting spasms later in the day. Would that be because of that ?
Thanks
Unread 08-19-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulineharley View Post
This post really hit home. Feel all your pain. My op date was 9th August. Ive never been in hospital before so nearly ran out the night before. I had my uterus removed only by laparascopic means.
I have beem signed off for 6 weeks. Up and down days. Agree with the fact people think you look okay but they dont know what is really going on !
I am fortunate to work in the National Health Service as a Nurse. They leave you in peace.
I got a fright doing pelvic floor exercises last Monday. I then started getting spasms later in the day. Would that be because of that ?
Thanks
You will need the 6 weeks and possibly more besides! I'm going back Monday but only because I'm not being paid and have no significant other to support me, plus my cover has left... And there is no one else to do it but, if come Monday I get there and I'm not up to it regardless of the consequences I will be going back off sick until I'm fit. People keep telling me I've never looked better and whilst I do agree, who wouldn't when the agonising endo/adeno pain is no longer and not bleeding all the time, but I don't feel as well as I'm obviously looking and people don't get it!
Re the pelvic floor exercises, I must confess to starting them later than they said because of infection, and when I do them I was left in pain and it intensified my throbbing so I gave up on them! I've tired since and they leave me in pain and uncomfortable! So I'd day yes, they probably caused the spams. Hope you are feeling ok as can be.
Unread 08-20-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell2016 View Post
You will need the 6 weeks and possibly more besides! I'm going back Monday but only because I'm not being paid and have no significant other to support me, plus my cover has left... And there is no one else to do it but, if come Monday I get there and I'm not up to it regardless of the consequences I will be going back off sick until I'm fit. People keep telling me I've never looked better and whilst I do agree, who wouldn't when the agonising endo/adeno pain is no longer and not bleeding all the time, but I don't feel as well as I'm obviously looking and people don't get it!
Re the pelvic floor exercises, I must confess to starting them later than they said because of infection, and when I do them I was left in pain and it intensified my throbbing so I gave up on them! I've tired since and they leave me in pain and uncomfortable! So I'd day yes, they probably caused the spams. Hope you are feeling ok as can be.
Thanks for your reply. I am trying to stay positives, emotional or what ? Yes think I will wait until next week before going near the pelvic floor exercises xx

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register