Hysterectomy recovery can be so hard and frustrating... for so many reasons! - Page 5 | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy recovery can be so hard and frustrating... for so many reasons! Hysterectomy recovery can be so hard and frustrating... for so many reasons!

Unread 08-23-2016, 09:15 AM
Re: Hysterectomy recovery can be so hard and frustrating... for so many reasons!

Oh my gosh, I just wanna talk to everybody, I hope that's okay...

Tink, luvvie, I truly hope you are not at work today with your kidney infection. I know if you stay home you're not getting paid, and that's horrible, but good lord, girl, a kidney infection. It's very wrong, IMHO for your employer to guilt you over the coverage, but that's their issue, not yours.

pauline, if you're a nurse, you know the answer to your question: if you're getting spasms, slow down on the Kegels. It's not a race; slow and steady is the pace, -especially- if you're what, just today two weeks out from your surgery?! You're one tough bird, darlin'.

Kgurl75 wrote:
  Quote:
I am supposed to return Monday after 13 days post surgery. The owner of the company I work for read on the internet that I could return that quickly. I've had an infection and allergic reaction to antibiotics that landed me two extra days in the hospital last week. I really need the money or my husband is going to start Uber driving. I hate my job and the owner, so no love lost there. But a job is a job and I'm not a quitter. I actually like the work I do, just not the environment, etc. That said, I've been through it the past 20 years. It's hard to keep a job when your cancer keeps coming back. Bills keep stacking up. I claimed bankruptcy before I was 25. Maybe it's the first time in almost two weeks without Percocet clouding my mind to see, but I'm going to let it all fall where it does. My health is too important. My family is too important. Myhusband sat in our bedroom on the floor in tears after I came home, saying he was so glad that I was okay. He was afraid of losing me. I would like to say that this is first time we'd had this conversation, but it's not. I'm tired of my body not being my own my life not being my own, and for the first time in 20 years I feel like with this hysterectomy I have some sort of control back. I'm not going to screw up this new chance, by letting anyone tell me how I should feel or how I should heal. It's not easy. I'll pray for you and your situation.
Oh, Kgurl, babe. I am so, so sorry you are going through this pain and distress. I know very well the feeling of being out of control -- every time I go back to the oncologist's office for a follow-up and have to hold my breath, I know the feeling of my body not being my own. I have had long, angry internal discussions with my body and my feelings about how it's let me down, turned traitor on me. I hope the hysterectomy is the answer you need. I cannot believe a two week recovery and under no circumstances should you return if you are not ready. Go back when you're okay and let your husband take care of you. You don't have to be the strong one all the time. It's okay to admit you need downtime and to TAKE IT. Heal up, sister. Get better, truly better, then go out and kick the world's arse, Princess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2016, 10:31 AM
Re: Hysterectomy recovery can be so hard and frustrating... for so many reasons!

So I had a lap DaVinci hysterectomy but got to keep both ovaries. I am post op 11 days and I have no energy. I am still really sore and aggravated that all I can do is set. I am a very active person and I love to workout but I haven't been able to for 2 months now because I was having so much pelvic pain before the hysterectomy. It was like labor pains. Thank goodness that is gone but know I have a different kind of pain due to the surgery. Am I the only one who can not sleep in the bed yet?? I have had to sleep in my recliner since I got home from the hospital. Also somedays I feel good and not pain and then other days I have alot of pain. Like this morning I feel like I am regressing. Does anyone feel that way?? I am supposed to go on a cruise on Sept. 8th. I hope I feel alot better by then. Do you think I will???
Unread 08-23-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaZia View Post
Oh my gosh, I just wanna talk to everybody, I hope that's okay...

Tink, luvvie, I truly hope you are not at work today with your kidney infection. I know if you stay home you're not getting paid, and that's horrible, but good lord, girl, a kidney infection. It's very wrong, IMHO for your employer to guilt you over the coverage, but that's their issue, not yours.

pauline, if you're a nurse, you know the answer to your question: if you're getting spasms, slow down on the Kegels. It's not a race; slow and steady is the pace, -especially- if you're what, just today two weeks out from your surgery?! You're one tough bird, darlin'.

Kgurl75 wrote:

Oh, Kgurl, babe. I am so, so sorry you are going through this pain and distress. I know very well the feeling of being out of control -- every time I go back to the oncologist's office for a follow-up and have to hold my breath, I know the feeling of my body not being my own. I have had long, angry internal discussions with my body and my feelings about how it's let me down, turned traitor on me. I hope the hysterectomy is the answer you need. I cannot believe a two week recovery and under no circumstances should you return if you are not ready. Go back when you're okay and let your husband take care of you. You don't have to be the strong one all the time. It's okay to admit you need downtime and to TAKE IT. Heal up, sister. Get better, truly better, then go out and kick the world's arse, Princess.
Yep, I went into work Monday, it was hard!!! I did 4/5 hours then back to bed, sore, uncomfortable and totally exhausted! Not been in today but I've just had to text my boss to say whilst I will go in tomorrow and Thursday I can't manage longer than 4/5 hours! Not sure how that will have gone down... I've seen my urology nurse today (I have IC, a baller condition) and she has done me a bladder installation to calm down the infection but still showing signs of UTI hopefully the installation will settle it down. This recovery is hard, and harder at this stage as we look ok on the outside, we don't feel it inside and now have a hell of a job convincing people that we are still not 100%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2016, 05:47 PM
Hysterectomy recovery can be so hard and frustrating... for so many reasons!

I had the DaVinci also and I was tired and dizzy until about week 4, felt like I'd never have my energy back. One day I felt good and it just got better from there. I never had much pain except the incision spots, but ibuprofen kept it manageable. Hoping you are feeling better soon and the pain lessens!

QUOTE=sdscholle33;4821705]So I had a lap DaVinci hysterectomy but got to keep both ovaries. I am post op 11 days and I have no energy. I am still really sore and aggravated that all I can do is set. I am a very active person and I love to workout but I haven't been able to for 2 months now because I was having so much pelvic pain before the hysterectomy. It was like labor pains. Thank goodness that is gone but know I have a different kind of pain due to the surgery. Am I the only one who can not sleep in the bed yet?? I have had to sleep in my recliner since I got home from the hospital. Also somedays I feel good and not pain and then other days I have alot of pain. Like this morning I feel like I am regressing. Does anyone feel that way?? I am supposed to go on a cruise on Sept. 8th. I hope I feel alot better by then. Do you think I will???[/quote]
Unread 08-23-2016, 10:24 PM

I am so glad I'm not the only one! I'm 12 days post op I had a LAVH. Had my 2 week post op yesterday due to bleeding. Go back to work this Thursday!!! It took 4 weeks from my surgery in March which was a laproscopic removal of left ovary and tube. I'm in so much pain...still taking pain meds and noticing new symptoms. Told my obgyn yesterday and he didn't listen. I wish people would understand us better. Sister my thoughts are with you! We are all here walking this journey together! Peace of mind!!!!
Unread 08-24-2016, 03:19 AM

Oh goodness.... Yes I was the one who said that there is one shot at recovery and I so feel your pain! I am still struggling and it is week 8!

I have been back to teaching half days and I am getting "the look" too! It makes me furious especially when they say oh you had something like a c section! NO! Much worse!

I don't know if they are jealous because I am but working full time or what their problem is, I only know how I feel. And right now I think everyone lied to me! This is NOT the best thing that ever happened to me! What is that about!

But then I have to think how petty women can be, one upping each other and acting tough instead of being honest about how DIFFICULT recovery from this surgery is!

Exhaustion, weird rolling pain, like there are aliens in my belly. Mental and emotional exhaustion, frustration, short temper and feeling like I will never be the same are all stuff we are dealing with.

I say be honest, speak up and ignore the people with attitude that are around you! Yeah, we may physically look better, but we are far from better!

Take care everyone and keep the dialog open. It helps to know we are not alone.

Will I ever feel good again? I just want to crawl in a hole somewhere and sleep except insomnia is worse than ever!
Unread 08-24-2016, 06:42 AM

Yep I overdid it yesterday...2 week post op appointment...then 2 job interviews...one firm offer. I can barely get out of bed today. My son is home sick. He has been bullied at school and throws up in response. My internal stitches are infected, so on new stronger antibiotics. Going back in a week to see how they're doing. I texted my boss this info and he's not happy, wants to know if I can't come back to work...which is exactly what I want him to do...more graceful to quit if he's already come to this conclusion on his own. But am I ready to start a new job this Monday? I don't know. I'd be just shy one day of three weeks out. I feel like crap this morning. My husband is worried about money. In a perfect world, I would homeschool our son and not work. It just breaks my heart that he has such a hard time.
Unread 08-24-2016, 05:59 PM

Had nightmares last night. I'm a glorified lunch lady so I'll be on my feet tomorrow for a full 8 hrs. I dreamed I was at work and fell down from the same pain I've been having. A sign? I'm not being pressured to go back but my OBGYN sent my human resource dept my new release date of 8/25. Exact 2 week post op date. I over did it today with my mother in law bday shopping for my upcoming birthday. Came home and had to take another pain pill. New pains today! Sisters we aren't hero's but listen to your body. I've been ignoring mine now I'm paying the ultimate price!
Unread 08-24-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leowife77 View Post
Had nightmares last night. I'm a glorified lunch lady so I'll be on my feet tomorrow for a full 8 hrs. I dreamed I was at work and fell down from the same pain I've been having. A sign? I'm not being pressured to go back but my OBGYN sent my human resource dept my new release date of 8/25. Exact 2 week post op date. I over did it today with my mother in law bday shopping for my upcoming birthday. Came home and had to take another pain pill. New pains today! Sisters we aren't hero's but listen to your body. I've been ignoring mine now I'm paying the ultimate price!
I'm so sorry you have to go back at 2 weeks! My Gyn asked me how long I wanted (4 weeks) & wrote my paperwork for that. Hopefully your co workers will be understanding & allow you to take extra breaks & easy jobs. Going back to a fast paced job so soon will not be easy. ((Hugs))
Unread 08-25-2016, 06:27 AM

Good morning. I relate with "trying to be a Rockstar". I had my Lap Hyst on Aug 1. I kept my ovaries and had a lot of fibroids, one huge one inside my uterus. I am 48 yrs old.
This recovery is a process. As soon as I think "I've got this"...my body says "Not yet". I get random pains....or throbbing? I know.i had a LOT of stitches etc so I'm sure it's healing. I had my check up and for all.of my fears, everything was absolutely great!
My doctor didn't have a lot of instructions or anything..3 paragraphs. That's it. They said they let the patient decide what they feel comfortable doing..I can drive, I've been to the store (no real lifting. I had anything slightly heavy ..like. half gal milk in a separate bag). I'm trying to get back to being "me". I should be enjoying the peace and quiet...but I look around my house and see.things I really would love to.do. nothing crazy, organizing my dresser would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliemonty View Post
You totally took the words out of my mouth! Here I am trying to be a rockstar at 2 weeks post op tvh. I've had my gallbladder and 3 prior endometriosis surgeries and this by far has been the most challenging surgery. Even walking around the house is a challenge. Thanks for the post it opened my mind to listen to my body.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register