1 month post hysterectomy swellybelly - postop panty? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 month post hysterectomy swellybelly - postop panty? 1 month post hysterectomy swellybelly - postop panty?

Unread 08-20-2016, 05:19 PM
1 month post hysterectomy swellybelly - postop panty?

DvH 7/20, still getting some swellybelly. It's mildy uncomfortable, but mostly I want my clothes to fit better without having to go buy new clothes (need to be business casual at times). Considering trying a pair of PostOp panties to see if that helps. Any experience /success with those? Just a waste of money? Uncomfortable?
thanks sisters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2016, 09:07 PM
Re: swellybelly - postop panty?

Hello there

I so understand you wanting to have your wardrobe fit however you also have to take into consideration your surgically invaded body. It has been a month. You are still healing in alot of ways. Will Post Op panties work....? They might however that is something you will have to try. Yet please keep in mind that restricting clothes will only make you feel even more uncomfortable. A black pair of yoga pants can easily be doctored up to go business casual or even a dress that you can wear a short sleeve sweater with. At least until you are able to get back into your normal attire.
You will get there.
Unread 08-21-2016, 06:30 AM
Re: 1 month post hysterectomy swellybelly - postop panty?

I got my surgery back in December. I life in sweets due to the long cut for hip to hip scar. I bought a binder for HysterSisters and I bag ice in sandwich bags. I had shoulder surgery years before the hysterectomy so I knew how to brake ice in a bag or just put water in a sandwich bag in place it in the freezer.

If you can take anti - inflammatory pills and use an ice pack.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2016, 09:47 AM

Same surgery and date here. Also getting some swelly belly most days (because I can't sit still). I have a closet full of business casual clothes that I'm not even going to try and get on my body yet. I ended up back at work at week 2 but due to a few circumstances am now out again until Sept 6 (they were unrelated to surgery), which is a blessing, to be honest. Dresses are my best friend and I invested in a few flattering pieces that are designed to fall loosely in the front- it's the style right now anyway!!!! I'll add light sweaters or Blazers as needed once the weather turns. I have zero desire to try those post-op panties as I can't handle anything pressing on my belly quite yet.
Unread 08-21-2016, 07:56 PM

Oh, the dreaded swelly belly.. It has a mind of its own. It tends go swell as the day progresses. Its a matter of finding your comfort zone bc everyone is different.

I wore an ab binder to week 8, then on & off as needed. I wore a tank top, binder over. Consider placing a cold pack slipped inside the binder bc it will hold the pack in place. Adjust as needed thru the day. Take xtra cold packs with you & if you can take ibrophrophen bc antinflammatory. Especially if you get some aches at work.

Ive found yoga pants the most comfortable. Dresses, skirts or anything that wont grab at the waist. Ive worn some control panties when Im dressed up & it smooths, Im not certain if it prevents the feeling of waist band grabbing. I hear ya about not wanting to buy new clothes just to get thru this swelly. I was considering a pair of maternity pants if needed.
Unread 08-21-2016, 10:00 PM

I have a couple of the long knit skirts - they are going to me my favorite things ever when I go back to work. I got 1 on clearance just before my surgery - might have to go shopping for a few more!

Another option is second hand stores - maybe buy some pants/skirts in a larger size. I don't want to buy bigger clothes, but if they were cheap enough, and don't squish my belly, I would!

I have some compression type panties from before surgery - they weren't that comfortable before, not sure I want to try them soon....
Unread 08-22-2016, 11:49 AM

The key is finding the right amount of support. My favorite yoga pants gave a fold down waist, but I leave it up and my tummy feels like it's getting a gentle hug of support. At night, I sleep in a Flexees longer length tank top that has a built in tummy control panel. I wear it inside out so the seams don't irritate my sides. I bought elastic waist comfort pants for when I venture out in public. Dresses and loose fitting tops are great too. I am 5&1/2 weeks post op, and have NOT worn jeans yet. Last night I dreamed I went back to work and didn't wear a bra because my favorite thing about recovery at home is going braless. So, my attire desires are manifesting themselves in my dreams. However, my reality will always be bra on in public! Hugs, health and healing on your recovery!
Unread 08-22-2016, 12:55 PM

I have Swelly Belly 12 weeks post op of Laparoscopic Hysterectomy with removal of my uterus and Cervix and sometimes after sex or the next day I have light red blood when I wipe after peeing. Is this normal? I cannot wear jeans or anything with an elastic waist. pleaser respond if anyone else experienced this 3 months after surgery.
Unread 08-22-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LailaStar View Post
Oh, the dreaded swelly belly.. It has a mind of its own. It tends go swell as the day progresses. Its a matter of finding your comfort zone bc everyone is different.

I wore an ab binder to week 8, then on & off as needed. I wore a tank top, binder over. Consider placing a cold pack slipped inside the binder bc it will hold the pack in place. Adjust as needed thru the day. Take xtra cold packs with you & if you can take ibrophrophen bc antinflammatory. Especially if you get some aches at work.

Ive found yoga pants the most comfortable. Dresses, skirts or anything that wont grab at the waist. Ive worn some control panties when Im dressed up & it smooths, Im not certain if it prevents the feeling of waist band grabbing. I hear ya about not wanting to buy new clothes just to get thru this swelly. I was considering a pair of maternity pants if needed.
I was just going to post a clarification about my swellybelly b/c many people are stating for them it's a sign of over-doing. I currently am working half-time, light-duty (desk work) and still get the swellybelly. I return to my very physical job 9/15, starting with 1/2 time full-duty for the first week 75% the second week, then 100% the third week. It remains to be seen if the remaining time will be light-duty or if I will still be working part-time until that final third week of ramping up to full-duty full-time work. Fatigue is still an issue. I know I am still healing as I'm approaching the 5 week mark this week, but I am a bit anxious about returning to my full duty work will be like in terms of swellybelly and fatigue.
Unread 08-22-2016, 07:26 PM
1 month post hysterectomy swellybelly - postop panty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havana38 View Post
I have Swelly Belly 12 weeks post op of Laparoscopic Hysterectomy with removal of my uterus and Cervix and sometimes after sex or the next day I have light red blood when I wipe after peeing. Is this normal? I cannot wear jeans or anything with an elastic waist. pleaser respond if anyone else experienced this 3 months after surgery.
The body is still healing so yes, swelling may continue & the same for after sex as many sisters have reported. Spotting can occur too. I was able to get into my jeans 2 weeks post op but found them uncomfortable after a bit. The waist band was annoying. Recently, I was doing pretty good with the swelly belly going down. Bam! Today, its back! Its frustrating. I was more active the past 3 days & I guess my belly is retaliating. This happened bf & it went down.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register