Stitches & a surprise! | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stitches & a surprise! Stitches & a surprise!

Unread 08-23-2016, 07:09 AM
Stitches & a surprise!

So I see several of you saying that you've seen your stitches fall out. Well I look at the stitches on my belly, it is like fine fishing line. I wonder, how do any of you see that? How closely are you looking? Well this morning I sit down to pee-pee, I wipe and OOOWWWW! There is a pulling sensation. What the what??? I reach down there... It is like a tampon string hanging out of me. For a flash second I thought, Oh I better change that before I leave for work. Wait don't pull that ripcord! There is no parachute attached! That was slightly shocking but now I understand.

The big question... How long should this string be hanging out of me!?!?! I know you've all talked about it but why are we not warned these things are going to happen! Holy cow, what a surprise for a Tuesday morning.

Happy days girls!
Macie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2016, 07:23 AM
Re: Stitches & a surprise!

Hello there
soooooo at this point I am not sure you have called your doctor yet, but I might suggest a ring. Your stitches are probably dissolving yes. Just to be on the safe side they could want to see you also since it has to do with the vagina cuff.

Unread 08-23-2016, 07:40 AM

"No parachute", ! That's one way to look at it.

Yes, a call to the doc is in order. They might have you come in for a snip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2016, 07:49 AM

I just told my husband he might have to play doctor tonight and snip that for me. That's probably not the best answer. Not an answer that would surprise my real doctor at all. I think she would laugh like hell at me. But maybe I will give a jingle into her nurse and see what they might suggest before I have the old hubs glove up and go for it.

I attempt to approach every aspect in life with a laugh and a funny and rarely does anything get me down. This is just one of those where I was expecting it, but not to this level, but if I can make light of it and keep on moving, I'll do that, too. Life is too short to cry, so I just smile and keep on trucking.
Unread 08-23-2016, 07:57 AM

Definitely a story you can tell the nurse and doctor if you have to go in for that appt!
Happy Healing!
Unread 08-23-2016, 10:22 AM
Stitches & a surprise!

Hi that's GOT to be unnerving ! I admire your sense of humor. I would def call before hubs snips it , maybe he would make it too short and then the dr couldn't get ahold of it ? It is AMAZING to me how much our doctors do not tell us !!!! Plz keep us posted !!!
Unread 08-23-2016, 12:12 PM

Oh wow. I had a stitch come loose in one of my abdominal incisions--I thought there were no stitches, just glue, so I was shocked when this 1 1/2 inch white string came out when the glue peeled off. It was so weird! But in your case I would definitely call the doctor and not pull that ripcord!
Unread 08-23-2016, 12:52 PM

OK, I called. Suzy, the nurse, just busted up laughing when I said I wasn't going to pull the ripcord. She also told me not to let the hubs glove up and snip it himself. Just leave it be. I have my 6 week follow up on September 8th. It will either fully dissolve and be gone by then or the doctor will handle it. Again Suzy reminded me "No intercourse!" I said I know, you keep reminding me. I have September 22nd marked with a big red heart and we might even call in sick that day! LOL But all's well that ends well. Just part of our healing process.
Unread 08-23-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcarter1701 View Post
Oh wow. I had a stitch come loose in one of my abdominal incisions--I thought there were no stitches, just glue, so I was shocked when this 1 1/2 inch white string came out when the glue peeled off. It was so weird! But in your case I would definitely call the doctor and not pull that ripcord!
My glue fell away, rubbed off, I picked a little off (yeah, I'm one of those). But my stitches are still in my belly. As a matter of fact I can feel little edges poking out from 2 of my 4 incisions. The others seem to have completely dissolved, just these 2 are hanging on for dear life. But I haven't seen any of my stitches. I might before too long.
Unread 08-25-2016, 07:45 PM

Before the hysterectomy, I had a hysteroscopy and had two incisions that were stitched, then glued. As the glue flaked and peeled away, I could feel an end of a stitch poking through the incision and when I asked my Dr., she said it takes about eight weeks for the stitches inside to fully absorb. Definitely DO NOT pull on that end of the stitch. My incision started becoming inflamed and somewhat painful, and began oozing fluid from the hole from the stitch that had the exposed end. Only a visit to my Dr. remedied that.

I would talk to your Dr. about trimming the stitch so it goes underground as if left exposed, it allows an opening for bacteria to enter and infection to start. The incision needs to be fully sealed for healing to be successful. My stitch end was trimmed and that's when the real healing of the incision started.

Mary P.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register