New Surgical Pain Control: ON-Q | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

New Surgical Pain Control: ON-Q New Surgical Pain Control: ON-Q

Unread 12-11-2003, 10:54 PM
New Surgical Pain Control: ON-Q

Dear Hyster Sisters:

I've been reading another thread in the Pre-Op section about waking from general anesthesia https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...0&pagenumber=1 and a contribution was made to that thread about a new surgical pain control system: ON-Q. I thought it was important enough to start this new thread with a new subject line in the Pre-Op section since this is a separate subject from waking up from general anesthesia.

Has anyone used this new pain relief system? How was it? Where did you learn about it?

More information may be obtained at the link:
http://www.askyoursurgeon.com/onqsolution.php

The December 2003, issue of Reader's Digest has an article on "Life Without Pain," and also briefly mentions the ON-Q pain relief system.

You may wish to discuss this with your surgeon. Many hospitals around the nation are already using the ON-Q system.

May you have an uneventful (and painless) surgery and recovery.

Aloha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2003, 07:29 PM

Here are some additonal articles about the ON-Q pain relief system:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...-05-pain_x.htm

http://www.annieappleseedproject.org/painrelbalaf.html

http://www.ahsmidwest.org/todaysNews.asp?ID=677

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...th/4949910.htm
Unread 12-12-2003, 09:03 PM

I used the ON-Q and would recommend it to everyone!! I found out about it by searching the web. I was also fortunate enough to have an open-minded doctor who was willing to do some research herself and to give me a chance to try something new.
It never hurts to ask your doctor. Although I have a medically savvy doctor, there are a lot of ol' fuddy-duddys who won't travel off the beaten path to try something new.
It is our body and we do have a say as to what goes into it!!
The only person who won't be excited about it is the anesthesiologist because he won't make any money off attaching it. They get paid to connect the PCA pumps and because the surgeon attaches the ON-Q, the Anesthesiologist doesn't get paid for it. I had a rather nasty Anesthesiologist who laughed at me and told me that I would be begging him for post-op drugs but I got the last laugh- I never had any and to this day haven't needed any.
The benefits far outweigh the negatives and because the medication (marcaine) in the ON-Q is a local anesthetic and not systemic like the opioids, you don't have any of the bad side effects.
I know of only one other person here who has used the ON-Q. Valpal has also said she used it too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2003, 09:14 PM

Here's a link to valpal's thread about ON-Q:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=103168

Sounds like a great option for those who are able to use it.

-Linda
Unread 12-12-2003, 09:51 PM

OH this is so cool. I just checked out the second link in the first post and was looking through the site. And found the section where you can check which hospitals use it. And my hospital is listed I can't wait to ask my doc about this. I really really hope he lets me used this method. I swear I'm allergic to pain.

Thank you so much for posting about this. Reading about this option makes me feel so much better. Waking up in pain is one of my biggest concerns, 2nd only to not waking up at all.

's to ALL
Unread 12-12-2003, 10:06 PM

Hi Ladies, Valpal here, it was so funny to see my name mentioned!!!!!

I have been trying to get the word out on this since my surgery in May. It is such a cool thing. If, after you have read all those posts and researched all those sites , you still have questions about this device (not that I am an expert) please feel free to contact me personally......or here. I think everyone who is having an abdominal surgery should have the opportunity to have this type of pain management. I just can't say enough about it.

Val
Unread 12-13-2003, 01:02 PM

(((Linda, aka Suferbabe))):

Is there anyway this subject matter can be posted in the PRE-OP ARTICLES section so that LIW can at least be informed about the ON-Q pain relief as an option? Otherwise, finding it is a hit or miss mission while searching through the discussions.

I did not find Hyster Sisters until after my hysterectomy and while I did not have any pain after the surgery, I would have liked to have known about the option.

Aloha
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register