MIL in hospital & I'm freaking out a little.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

MIL in hospital & I'm freaking out a little.... MIL in hospital & I'm freaking out a little....

Unread 04-26-2002, 11:02 AM
MIL in hospital & I'm freaking out a little....

My MIL has been in the hospital for a week and we've been visiting her every night. The past couple of nights I felt like I needed to get out of there, fast! I've only been in the hospital 2 x in my life--to deliver my kids. Those were happy experiences and I had a private room both times.
Seeing her in the bed with the IV in her arm and a catheter bag hanging off the bed is really getting to me. Aside from the surgery itself, I'm obsessing about the IV, the catheter, having a roommate, the smells in the hospital, just ALL of it. I postponed my surgery from April to June 20th so all of this time to think is not a good thing.
I just wish it were done already. No real question here. Just needed to put this in writing somewhere.
The good news is that my neighbor will take my DD to swimming lessons in July so I don't have to worry about driving and sitting by the pond for an hour every day!
Actually I do have a question. When I get home will I be in bed much of the time? For how long?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2002, 12:08 PM

Hi!

I was in the same boat! My mother had her hyst last August, and when I found out I needed one, all I could remember was how yucky her experience was. And you know what - mine wasn't as bad. Age has something to do with it, and then so does being in the bed vs looking at the bed.

My catheter was out just 12 hours after the surgery, and the IV was out in less than 24 hours. I had an easy recovery and spent a lot of time loungin' around, but really very little actually in bed. Everyone is different and it is hard to say how easy or hard you will have it -

Waiting is truly the worst part

Dorrie
Unread 04-27-2002, 07:43 PM

I think there's something about seeing an IV and catheter hooked up to someone else that's worse than having them yourself. For one thing, if you have them, you're probably not in much position to care one way or the other. Mine were both removed about 12 hours after surgery. It felt good to have them out, but they weren't driving me crazy either.

As for recovery, everybody's different. You're not going to feel like doing a lot right away, but you probably won't want to stay in bed all the time either. If you have general anesthesia, remember it will take time for that to get out of your system.

You may feel like getting up some days and going for a walk, and there may other days you don't feel like doing much at all. The main thing is to follow your doctor's orders, and not push too hard, too soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2002, 08:39 PM

Hi, Beache -

I agree with Dorrie and Tante - it's worse seeing the catheter and iv in someone else than having it on yourself somehow. I had both of them removed the next morning after surgery.

As for recovery, I didn't spend any time at all in bed, other than sleeping - I barely spent time in bed in the hospital - I was up wandering the halls :-). I spent most of my "resting" time sitting in my recliner with pillows behind me - many use a couch. The idea is that you want to have your feet up (I also put a box under the computer table so I could sit there with my feet up. I would have felt too much like I was sick if I stayed in bed. And I did a lot of walking, mostly around the house at first (and back and forth to the bathroom - all that drinking we have to do...)

Cheers,
Unread 04-27-2002, 11:12 PM

Hi! Oh bless you. The anticipation *****!!! But hang in there. It's not so bad. I'd have to agree with a lot of what has been said already. I do feel that age has a lot to do with it and the IV really isn't so bad. Once it's in it doesn't hurt, and it sure beats having to get a shot any time you should need anything like your pain meds. As for the catheter, for me the first day after my surgery the catheter was great! I did not WANT to get out of bed! Just being propped up was enough to not make me feel like I was in a 'sick' bed. The last thing I wanted to do was to try to go to the bathroom. After the second day though, it did get a little annoying. It just felt like I had to go more than I really did. But soon after that they took it out and everything was back to normal.

Just try to remember your positive experiences with the castle and take it easy. I doubt that you'll be in bed much, but you won't be running any marathons, either! If your neighbor is offering help, TAKE IT! This is your time to be a 'pampered princess'. We're here for you. I'll be praying for you and your MIL. Take care!
Unread 04-28-2002, 04:08 AM

Hi Beache,

I'm so sorry that your MIL is in the hospital right now. I hope she is improving and will be able to go home soon. I had a TVH, like your earlier posts said you were going to have, and I didn't spend much time in bed at all. I was more comfortable in the living room on the couch, where I could watch TV, and talk to my DH when I felt like it. Since you have children at home, you may want to go to your BR occassionally just to get more rest.

I'm also glad to read that you won't be driving your DD to her swimming classes. You'll be more comfortable on your couch than at the pool!!

's

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register