Green light for intercourse???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Green light for intercourse???? Green light for intercourse????

Unread 08-19-2016, 12:01 AM
Green light for intercourse????

Hi there, I am 5 weeks post of from a vaginal hysterectomy. I had my cervix and Fallopian tubes taken and am left with just my ovaries. My surgeon had said the "nothing in the vagina for 6 weeks" speech to me which I am following. However, I don't have an appointment with her again until I am at 8 weeks... How do I know that on the day of the 6th week I am ok to try???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2016, 02:10 AM
Re: Green light for intercourse????

Unfortunately you don't. I didn't have a follow up appointment after my surgery but my registrar advised to wait 2 full weeks after any spotting/bleeding had stopped. I was fine, however I was almost 9 weeks out by then. If you can manage to wait the 8 weeks it might be safer. You don't want to risk an infection- it will just set you back in your recovery.
Unread 08-19-2016, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramedic911 View Post
Hi there, I am 5 weeks post of from a vaginal hysterectomy. I had my cervix and Fallopian tubes taken and am left with just my ovaries. My surgeon had said the "nothing in the vagina for 6 weeks" speech to me which I am following. However, I don't have an appointment with her again until I am at 8 weeks... How do I know that on the day of the 6th week I am ok to try???
I agree with 54kgx2. You don't. You have no idea if you still have stitches, have not healed enough or have granulation. 6-8 weeks is the general guideline, but more than that, it's your doctor's clearance that counts. The best thing to do is wait for your appointment.

Patience, dear Sister! A rupture or infection would set you back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2016, 07:36 AM

Hi there! At my 5 week first and final expected post-op, my doc gave me the all clear with the exception of sex, which was at 6 weeks. My spouse and I didn't even try until the discharge was pretty much gone. The way we looked at it was that there was likely still healing going on if there was still discharge. My doc had told me that the stitches he used on me had barbs of some type on it. I thought he was joking, but he was not! Needless to say my spouse was not interested in getting poked back.

I'm in with the others on waiting until your 8-week post-op since you are seeing your doc to play it on the safe side.
Unread 08-20-2016, 05:27 PM

I am 3 weeks post-op, have had no discharge or bleeding. My husband and I are waiting the full 8 weeks for intercourse, but I am still concerned about discomfort and pain even at that point. Has anyone experienced or discussed with their dr. any pain after the 8 weeks???
Unread 08-21-2016, 06:49 AM

I waited 12 weeks I was scared. I was reading too many post on here about women having problem after sex. I stop reading them and dive in.

You will know when to have sex. Take your time when you do and relax.
Unread 08-21-2016, 07:56 AM

5 weeks is much too early. My doctor said to wait 6-8 weeks, many doctors are saying 12 weeks.

I waited until 14 weeks and it was still tender/a little uncomfortable the first few times. Also had light spotting.

You don't want your cuff to tear! Just hang in there, you only have one chance to heal!

Maybe do outercourse instead.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register