thyroid disease and removing ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

thyroid disease and removing ovaries thyroid disease and removing ovaries

Unread 02-19-2005, 04:16 PM
thyroid disease and removing ovaries

I am 49 and scheduled for TAH next week. I am also hypothyroid and have been taking synthroid for 17 years. I am wondering if removing my ovaries will have any adverse effect on my body because I am already taking the synthroid. I have no history of cancer and no cysts on the ovaries. I can't decide if I want to remove the ovaries which will require an estrogen patch because I am not in menopause or do I want to remove the ovaries and be done with the bloat, discomfort and irritability that goes along with ovulation. I also don't know if estrogen conteracts with synthroid. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2005, 04:59 PM

Hello Popco,

I am also hypothyroid (Hashimotos). I am scheduled for my TAH/BSO on Monday. My gyn & regular doc told me that it might make things easier for me. I've been on synthroid for a year and I am not level yet and the hormonal changes every month were messing my levels up even worse...I would experience a thyroid flare-up every time I ovulate -- not fun. Since I won't be having any of the hormonal fluctuations (sp?)every month, they said that I will finally be able to get my thyroid under control. As far as I know, there isn't any problem with taking estrogen along with synthroid (just take at different times of the day).
That being said, I have to remove my ovaries (too many large cysts) so I don't have a choice. It might be best to discuss all your concerns with your doc/gyn/endo since it could be different for everyone.
Jewelz
Unread 02-19-2005, 05:49 PM

Hi!

I also have Hashimoto's. My surgery was 3 years ago (TAH/BSO) My ERT hasn't had any effect on my Levoxyl or TSH levels. I have it checked at least once a year, the last two years it's been more frequently cause I have high cholesterol also. I take my Levoxy at the same time as my Estrace and Lipitor, cause otherwise I forget the ones I wait til later to take. Neither my regular DR or GYN has been concerned that I take all three together.

Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2005, 09:53 PM

Hello,

I am hypothyroid as well. I have been on synthroid for 14 years. I had a TAH/RSO on 1/24/05. I was expecting to keep both ovaries but due to scar tissue from a previous surgery years ago.. the right one had to be removed. I will be 46 next month so I was concerned much like yourself.

I had quite a few hot flashes during the first 2 weeks of recovery. I phoned my Dr and was told that my body was adjusting and that the hormones would balance out eventually. Well, I am happy to report....no hot flashes in over 10 days. I hope that everything works out where I don't need any type of estrogen.

I was pretty fatigued the first 3 weeks but I feel like my energy level is perking up somewhat.

Good luck with your surgery and I wish you a speedy and great recovery.

Peace and Blessings, MzTumari
Unread 02-19-2005, 10:14 PM

Originally, I had a hyperactive thyroid which the drs killed off using radioactive iodine.

Now, I take synthroid and have for 22 years.

I had SAH/BSO with reconstructive surgery of the right side due to endo, scar tissue and what turned out to be firboids. The right kidney and uerter(spelling) were sutured in place and the abdominal walls had to be burned clean. (At 4 weeks, I still have pain on this side that my Dr says is perfectly normal. He is still prescribing pain meds. It DOES get better daily and I have decreased the number of pain killers I take.)

Monday is my 4 week post-op mark. YEAH!!!! I have been told that by taking hormones, my thyroid function may decrease. I am having a T3, T4 and T7 run on Tuesday along with some other blood work. My family Dr is good at keeping an eye on things like this. I'll let you know when I get the results.

My gyn/onc has me taking cenestin (0.625 mg), a plant based estrogen and prometrium (100 mg) of progesterone. He said since the endo was so bad, he could not justify only using estrogen. Estrogen is what feeds endo. Although he was very thorough--a perfectionist thru and thru--he said any microscopic endo left behind could grow. The progestrone will stop that from happening---or so I was informed. He did tell me to have my thyroid level tested more frequently and to have the "old fashioned tests" T3, T4 and T7 all done as opposed to the newer test which shows everthing together. Sometimes the new test gives you a reading of being within the normal range even though one of the subparts is not.

Sounds like for many of you sisters, there was no change in your thyroid levels. That is really good to know.

Thanks for sharing.

Katie
Unread 02-19-2005, 10:15 PM

Hi...This was also a concern I had as far as removng my ovaries and being hypothyroid. I think I feared the unknown. I am happy to report I was put on the Climara .1 mg patch immediately following surgery and have had NO problems whatsoever. NO hot flashes, not mood swings, nothing. It has not interferred with my synthroid, either. SO...try to put this fear at rest, if you can. There are so many things we worry about prior to surgery, but I hope I can help ease yout mind about this one.
s to you and my prayers are with you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register