dVH/RALH First bm | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-31-2011, 01:28 PM
First bm

Ok so I had davinci on the 27th.....how long is the norm for the first bm...i have not had one as of yet and have been taking stool softeners......im afraid of the end result of waiting too long ......yeeouch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Re: First bm

There are a number of natural things you can try such as coffee, prune juice, prunes, dried apricots, kiwis, smooth move tea and mixing prune juice in warm applesauce. Ask your doctor if you can double up on your stool softeners, take a suppository or an enema if you really get into trouble. For me, I did take a suppository that my doctor had prescribed on the third night post-op while I was still at the castle. I hope one of those things work for you.
Unread 12-31-2011, 03:27 PM

Good advice Danni! I have, if anything, the opposite problem but we are all different with our bodies, including with BMs. Do you normally have one daily?

I am having 2-3 a day (I've always been like that) and am drinking at least 64 oz of fluids daily -- half decaffeinated coffee in the morning, a lot of herbal teas, yogurt with probiotics, prunes or prune juice.

When it does decide to show up, try to stay relaxed and don't force anything. I had some pretty wicked cramps but that's just the colon being a little too exuberant and once it did its thing, the pain passed. Breathing slowly in thru your nose, out thru your mouth, and consciously keeping your whole body relaxed helps your body to do what it needs to do and not force anything or make any pain worse.

I did take one laxative dose to keep things going when I was afraid they were going to stop -- that was a mistake b/c I'd meant to be taking a stool softener. Absolutely check with your doc about what to do, such as taking a suppository, if nothing continues to happen and you're anxious about it. Hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2011, 08:33 PM

I had my hyst Dec. 27th and had my first (slight) BM 2 days later. The doctor had my start Colace while I was in the hospital and stressed the importance of taking it for a while once I was home. I've also been drinking plenty of water to help things along and trying to get plenty of fiber. This may be TMI but this morning I had shredded wheat (great source of fiber) and felt much better by this evening. I hope things happen for you soon!
Unread 01-01-2012, 03:22 AM

So jealous of all you poopers..LOL. Had surgery on the 28th. Still tryin to pass gas. All night I've had gassy pain pings. Been taking stool softener , drinking tons of water, had some coffee yesterday, and eating ruffage. ( very little cause I seem to have no appetite) and I've walking around. I can hear things moving around in there but wants to stay for a longer visit. So it's off to make some coffee or green tea. And RELAX. And hopefully it will flow. LOL. Happy New Year!!!
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:36 AM

Bassmanwife - I was right where you are my first week! They wouldn't release me from the hospital until I passed gas or pooped. It didn't happen until day 4. And I had severe pains for first two weeks. Then I started every other morning drinking 8 ounces of prune juice and then brewing coffee and maybe eating a piece of toast. It has worked great for me. No more cramps. And now 21 days post-op, I think I'm starting to get back to normal (no need for prune juice).
Unread 01-03-2012, 02:30 PM

My surgery was Dec 27 too. I have been having bm's since the day after. I had a small one Dec 28 partly because I ate soup the night before surgery even though I was supposed to be on a clear liquid diet (bowel prep.) My doc said it was ok and a soft food/liquid diet would be better maintaining my sugar (diabetic.) I also had soup and a milkshake (this princess deserved a treat even though my sugar was whack for a few hours)after surgery so that might have helped too. On the 29th I was pooping like a champ. I'm on colace and taking it easy not to strain though. I don't want to end up hurting myself or causing me any pain.
Unread 01-03-2012, 03:59 PM
First bm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcreporter View Post
Bassmanwife - I was right where you are my first week! They wouldn't release me from the hospital until I passed gas or pooped. It didn't happen until day 4. And I had severe pains for first two weeks. Then I started every other morning drinking 8 ounces of prune juice and then brewing coffee and maybe eating a piece of toast. It has worked great for me. No more cramps. And now 21 days post-op, I think I'm starting to get back to normal (no need for prune juice).
I wish they would of kept me in till I had a BM. Will be doing a lot of writing on the survey when I get it.
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:13 AM

Bassman - I have been hoping I get a survey! Have a lot to unload!
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:28 AM

I had my surgery on 12/28, and didn't have my first one until the morning of 1/2. I had been burping and tooting up a storm. Things are moving slowly, I've only had 2, but I keep taking my stool softeners to make it easier. I'm hoping I can convince my oldest to bring me home a cappucino, those usually go right through me and I can try again today!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register