Not Scheduled went to the doctor today! need advice? Experiences with daVinci hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

went to the doctor today! need advice? Experiences with daVinci hysterectomy? went to the doctor today! need advice? Experiences with daVinci hysterectomy?

Unread 12-03-2014, 04:17 PM
went to the doctor today! need advice? Experiences with daVinci hysterectomy?

She said I have to schedule for January but it will be the Davinci that will be done! Can I get a couple of your experiences had the endometroal ablation July 25,2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2014, 07:44 PM
Re: went to the doctor today! need advice? Experiences with Davinci?

Hi tristaf75 -

I know this is such an overwhelming experience that you just do not know where to start.

Recovery is different for everyone, but it still takes time. Think weeks and not days. You will need time off work - how long depends on how quick you recover and what you job duties entails. Again, think weeks and not days. You will also need help around the house with cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, and driving. You will also be VERY TIRED for a few weeks as you recover. You will also be doing lots brief and frequent walks. It helps you heal.

I did not have a DaVinci surgery, but had an open abdominal surgery. Everything was removed. I went back to work to a moderate stress desk job after 3 weeks. I could only handle part time work for another 4 weeks. I slowly moved back into my life from there. Lots of household chores went undone for some time.

Ask whatever questions you may have. We will try to answer them. Above all, know that you are not alone. We are here for you.

Unread 12-03-2014, 09:55 PM

I am also doing the Davinci. It is supposed to be a better recovery. My doc said if I am doing well I may not even have to spend the night at the hospital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2014, 10:27 PM

I just had the Da Vince Robotic Assisted Hysterectomy 2 weeks ago and I am very happy with the outcome. I read a lot of other people's stories and found some really helpful advice here. Everyone's stories are different and yours will be too, but it does help to hear from our sisters here.

I did what I could to prepare my home and responsibilities so that I could really rest when I came home from the hospital. I had all the shopping done for a few weeks, had some food in the freezer and everything organized for the Thanksgiving meal my family was going to prepare without me helping.
I went in for surgery early Monday morning and was released from the hospital Tuesday around 6 pm. (There was a delay since my bladder wouldn't empty properly after the removed the catheter.)
They gave me a pain pump through my IV that managed the pain very well through the night before they switched to pain pills in the early morning hours. Those worked well, too.
I was very sore riding home from the hospital (we live 2 hours away so it was a long drive). I spent most of the first couple days in bed or on the couch completely resting, except for trips to the bathroom, which I was able to do easily on my own. I felt well enough to shower every day, but it did feel like a huge accomplishment so I would rest for hours after I took a shower.
I did have pain after surgery, but for many of us that is very normal and as long as I took my meds, I could manage with it. I gradually increased my time being up and around so that now I am able to do a lot of light housework as long as I rest in between. I started driving again this week as well. I am still sore, but that is to be expected since it was major surgery. I had a total hysterectomy, my tubes removed, as well as a big fibroid tumor.
It helped me very much to keep hearing women say to listen to your body as you heal. I want my recovery to be a quick as possible, so I decided ahead of time I would lower my expectations and be ok if dishes are left in the sink, if the floor doesn't get swept as often as I would like, the laundry doesn't get folded for a few days, etc. Adjusting my mindset has been a great help and I know that as I feel better and better each week, I will be able to get back to all the chores waiting for me.
I hope you will find some helpful stories as you prepare for your surgery. You came to the right place as there are some awesome people on here showing a lot of kindness and support! Good luck with your surgery and keep posting how you are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristaf75 View Post
She said I have to schedule for January but it will be the Davinci that will be done! Can I get a couple of your experiences had the endometroal ablation July 25,2014
Unread 12-04-2014, 05:45 PM

I had the daVinci surgery 5 1/2 weeks ago. I think it went really well! My recovery has been smooth with just a few little blips here and there. With the daVinci, I think we tend to overdo it more often because we only have these little tiny incisions to remind us that we had major surgery. Take your time with recovery!

I went back to work after two weeks, but took my sweet time getting back into the groove of things. There are some great suggestions on this site, including what lovesherfam wrote. This site has been a God send, your family has just multiplied!!!

Good luck to you, sending positive thoughts your way!
Unread 12-04-2014, 05:54 PM

Had the da Vinci nine days ago. Just went for a 1.5 km walk (1 mile). Feeling really well today. I know plenty of women have left the hospital on the same day of surgery, but I think an overnight stay is more appropriate. Also, try to avoid looking at lots of images of the robot - it looks very scary and I ended up feeling terrified at the thought of it. Once you are under, they could be doing anything and you will remain blissfully unaware.
Cathy
Unread 12-04-2014, 07:18 PM

Thanks all of you I got my date January 14,2015.
Unread 12-04-2014, 07:42 PM

I had DaVinci two weeks ago today. It was a Thursday, came home Friday, was hurting but by Saturday I felt great. Only took ibuprofen once that day. Sunday I felt like my old, normal self. Haven't taken anything since then! As far as looking at the robot-I did not! I just don't even want to know, ha! Best of luck to you!!!

I should add that I did not have ovaries removed-I am sure there is more to recover from when that is done too bc of hormones
Unread 12-08-2014, 05:08 AM

I had the daVinci surgery in October (it was supposed to be TAH but they were able to do the daVinci, yay!), and it was SO much better than anticipated! Word of warning: You hear everywhere that you are going to be tired and sore, and if you aren't as much as you thought, beware! The pain medicine stays in your system for the first couple of days, so don't overdo it! You will probably have moments during the first couple of weeks that you feel particularly good, so celebrate by relaxing and don't jinx it! I tried to do laundry on day 3 and tore an incision. Even so, I was back to work at the end of two weeks (but still walking slowly until week 4). I had an abdominal binder and it helped a TON! It made getting up and moving so much more bearable. If you don't already have one, it is definitely worth the investment.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register