How is Adenomyosis diagnosed? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How is Adenomyosis diagnosed? How is Adenomyosis diagnosed?

Unread 06-27-2006, 05:51 PM
How is Adenomyosis diagnosed?

I have all the symptoms of this.. and I was wondering how they find out a person sufers with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2006, 08:04 PM

Based on the research that I did, the only way for sure to diagnoise is when they remove it and biopsy it. However, they can get indications of it through ultrasound, sonohystogram and the most effective of all, an MRI.

I suspected that I had adenmyosis (sp?) and first had an ultrasound, then sonohystogram and finally an MRI. I had to push for an MRI, because it's expensive to the insurance company. But my doctors were 99% sure after seeing the results that I most likely had it. Biopsy after the hysterectomy confirmed it. They told me that the only solution for it was a hysterectomy.

Now, on the other side, I can tell you that I feel 1000% better (I'm almots 7 weeks out). Hope this helps.

Firefly123
Unread 06-27-2006, 08:51 PM

Here is the link to the section of our resource database dealing with adenomyosis (adeno): https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...o=browse&cid=6.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2006, 06:47 AM

According to my Dr., and everything else that I have read, Adenomyosis can only be SUSPECTED on ultrasound, exam, symptoms. The only TRUE diagnosis can only be made by examination of the uterus AFTER it is removed. It was highly suspected on my ultrasound, and this was found to be the final diagnosis after my surgery. My dr. also says hyst. is the ONLY cure for adenomyosis.
Unread 06-28-2006, 07:07 AM

I also have suspected Adenomyosis with an enlarged boggy uterus. This showed up on ultrasound but my consultant also ordered an MRI scan. Funnily enough, the MRI scan wasn't conclusive and so it was decided that I would have an endometrial ablation in Jan 2006 to see if this would cure my problems of heavy clotting and periods. Since then the ablation hasn't made any difference to me and so my consultant has scheduled me for a hyst in September. He said that the main cause of a failed ablation was Adenomyosis as removing the lining of the womb won't have any effect on tissues in the muscle wall of the uterus. The only way to tell for sure that you have Adenomyosis is diagnosis after hysterectomy.
Unread 06-28-2006, 07:47 AM

OH thank you! So, when I ahve the ablation, from what I ahve read here and on other sites, if I do have it, I wil end up havibng the hysterectomy anyway. Which will be fine.. thats what I ahve already discussed with my OB/GYN anyway.
Thank you ladies!
Unread 07-02-2006, 11:56 AM

Hi Ladies -

I went in for my third opinion, and am certain enough now that I have adenomyosis.

Opinion #1 - dx: fibroids and/or adenomyosis. Tx: hysterectomy

Opinion #2 - dx: to be determined with MRI. First choice treatment if fibroids to be uterine fibroid embolization. Only 50% effective for adenomyosis.

Opinion #3 - dx: no fibroids, 99.9% sure that it is adenomyosis. Physical exam showed no fibroids (unlike physical exam #1) and ultasound showed cysts from adenomyosis all the way to the uterine wall. MRI not required. Tx: LAVH.

I am going with #3. This doc only does endo treatments and surgery and is at the height of his career. I am totally comfortable with his diagnosis and although I would have prefered that I had fibroids so I could have tried the UFE (uterine fibroid embolization) or ablation first, there really is no first step or treatment of choice for adenomyosis.

As I sit here on day one of my current menstrual cycle, I am wishing that I could have the hyst tomorrow!

Best wishes,
Unread 07-08-2006, 07:49 AM

Your doc should be doing a hysteroscopy to rule our uterine cancer before your ablation. Ablation is never suggested where cancer is envolved. At that hysteroscopy a biopsy can be taken, sometimes Adenomyosis can be diagnoised with this tissue sample. The only other non surgical way is an MRI.
I had the Ablation, two months after the bleeding is worse. Surgery two months after that. Adenomyosis & Endrometriosis was found, so it was a good thing I pushed to have that uterus removed. I suffered a small heart attack in Oct of last yr and the anemia is causing me all kinds of problems that the Cardioligist wanted put to an end, so surgical hyst for me 6/28. Doing great, feel fine, staples out last Thurs.
Your on the right track. Although, I believe besides your uterus being enlarged (by the way can be due to prior pregnancy) I think you need to have the walls of the Uterus thickening. Did anyone tell you that the walls were thickening? My last ultrasound showed that.
dmgbp
Unread 07-10-2006, 07:40 AM

Yes, I had a very think uterine wall they said.. and yes they did tell me my uterus is enlarged possibly due to prior pregnancies..
Unread 07-11-2006, 02:48 PM

What, exactly, IS adenomyosis? -Cindy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register