Ablation or Hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ablation or Hysterectomy? Ablation or Hysterectomy?

Unread 03-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Ablation or Hysterectomy?

I am 46 and have had really bad periods ever since I had my first one. I have been on iron for the past 7 years for anemia and since the iron makes me so sick at my stomach my potassium occasionally gets low and I have to take that too! My gyno that I had forever (who told me to just take vitamins and exercise through all this) moved and I found another one. He is younger and has taken a much more proactive approach. So far he has done a hysteroscopy with D & C and determined that my uterine lining is very thick. It did nothing to help my bleeding problem though. So, he put me on Lysteda but that made my legs swell so I couldn't take it. Now, he has given me the the options of trying an ablation or going ahead with a hysterectomy. My PCP told me years ago that I needed a hysterectomy so this is sort of like a 2nd opinion. Honestly, I'm leaning that way since I've already had one surgery that didn't work. Thoughts anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2014, 09:44 AM
Re: Ablation or Hysterectomy?

I don't want to sway you in any way, but I had the ablation done for severe painful periods. The Ablation worked good for me for about a year and a half and had no more periods. After that I started having a severe pain every month when I would have been having my period. I switched dr.s and had a Hysterectomy just 12 days ago.... I ended up with a full hysterectomy because of severe endometriosis that I didn't even know I had. SO, I can't tell you how that is working yet, because it hasn't been long enough and to my understanding so far everyone does different with the hysterectomy.... But I don't recommend the Ablation myself. It's a big ? If it will work or not or for how long, but I don't believe it is a permanent fix. I hoped this helped, it's so hard to figure out the right thing to do sometimes! Wishing you the best and I pray God will direct you on your decision. Hugs!!!
Unread 03-12-2014, 09:51 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience! What you said is EXACTLY what I'm thinking. I also have pretty bad cramps and my doctor says that with the ablation I will still have those so if I'm going to end up having the hysterectomy anyway I may as well skip the ablation and just get on with it. I am just scared...that's my hang up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2014, 10:10 AM

Your welcome! Goodluck to you!
Unread 03-12-2014, 10:21 AM
Ablation or Hysterectomy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deve View Post
I am 46 and have had really bad periods ever since I had my first one. I have been on iron for the past 7 years for anemia and since the iron makes me so sick at my stomach my potassium occasionally gets low and I have to take that too! My gyno that I had forever (who told me to just take vitamins and exercise through all this) moved and I found another one. He is younger and has taken a much more proactive approach. So far he has done a hysteroscopy with D & C and determined that my uterine lining is very thick. It did nothing to help my bleeding problem though. So, he put me on Lysteda but that made my legs swell so I couldn't take it. Now, he has given me the the options of trying an ablation or going ahead with a hysterectomy. My PCP told me years ago that I needed a hysterectomy so this is sort of like a 2nd opinion. Honestly, I'm leaning that way since I've already had one surgery that didn't work. Thoughts anyone?
I have had both... If no endo/cancer it would go with the ablation. So easy, quick..I had light periods then after a year never even had to buy tampons or pads..however I was lucky.. I have had endo now for at least 12 years and it grew back so I just said get rid of it.

Hope this helps
Unread 03-12-2014, 10:29 AM

I just had a hysteroscopy and D&C. My gyno said it was so that they could test the thickened lining for precancerous or cancerous changes. (I had already had a couple of ultrasounds and a couple of biopsies). They didn't think it would change my bleeding problem. In my case, the lab results haven't come back yet (my procedure was Monday) but my gyno said the tissue she removed looked like it was precancerous at the least but it was probably cancer and I will most likely need a hysterectomy.

If your hysteroscopy and D & C ruled out precancerous changes, then it wasn't a surgery that didn't work, it was just a part of the process of diagnosing and treating you.

I have friends who've had the ablation...some say it helps for a couple of years and some say it's a life changer.

I've only been anemic since December, I can't imagine dealing with it for 7 years. When I have nausea from the iron pills, I take a ginger capsule. It helps more than you'd think it might.
Unread 03-12-2014, 06:35 PM

Does your uterus show to be enlarged on sono ? Mine was enlarged and adeno was suspected, uterine lining was very thick . Path showed extensive adeno, and multiple fibroids, my pain was daily w contraction like pains during period. Bloating and a 'lead ball' feel to my uterus. I started charting my symptoms, also had large clots on cycle and 4-5 month prego look at days end and I'm small. It hurt to wear my jeans. My pain went from 10 days a month to nearly every day with the least pain right after period. I started buying bigger clothes. Ask alot of questions. Ablation doesn't help adeno, because the endometrium embeds itself into uterine wall, hence blood gets trapped and can go nowhere and that causes alot of pain. Ablation only gets the uterine lining.
Unread 03-12-2014, 10:18 PM

I had a D&C in 2012 with removal of fibroids, and had super thickened endometrium in 2013, hence my surgery. My doc also said that I could do ablation, but she also said (and I quote) :"It's not a matter of IF you will get uterine cancer, but WHEN." My Mom had the exact issues I did, and her 3rd year was when she had cancer. So my doc left the decision to me, but said that with my personal and family history, the surgery would be a good step for me.

So talk to your doc about the pros and cons of each decision, as your own situation may be different. Be sure that you know the risks of each procedure, so that you can be comfortable with your own decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register