I'm expoding with gas, any suggestions - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm expoding with gas, any suggestions I'm expoding with gas, any suggestions

Unread 07-05-2005, 07:03 PM
I'm expoding with gas, any suggestions

To help with gas I took Beano before I ate and this helped to prevent gas pain. If I still had problems with gas I used gasX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2005, 08:59 PM

I haven't had my hyst yet, but have had irritable bowel like trouble for years. Gas-x has been my salvation -- truly. I've tried all of the different brands available and have found that Gas-x extra strength peppermint creme. I always take two at a time, and for whatever reason they seem to work best if I just let them slowly melt in my mouth rather than chew them up fast. I have taken them as often as every couple of hours when I've been in really really bad pain, and have had no ill effects. Please note, though, that the directions for use on the package is different that how I take them and you should follow the directions or your doctors advice. Just wanted to share my experience.

Also, if you have a DH or partner who can rub your lower back -- both hands starting at the spine and moving outwards. That can help alot also. Hope you're feeling much better real soon.

cjcj
Unread 07-07-2005, 03:08 PM

hi, you mentioned you have to hold your stomach to walk: Didn't they give you a belly binder? My Gyn did at the castle. It makes it so much more comfotable to walk. I had my TAH/BSO May 20. I too had gas problems and lots of water and walking really helped--once i walked with my belly binder on and it hurt to walk so I didn't walk as long--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2005, 06:39 PM

Hi, I also had my surgery on June 29th. Partial abdominal hysterectomy - kept my ovaries. I also have bad gas and am very tired. Nothing has seemed to help. I took a gentle women's laxitive on the 2nd of July and boy did I have a bm the next day. Three times in fact all within one hour. It felt great to get rid of it all, but I thought I was gonna die with the pains. I'm a little better now, but still have pains whenever I eat. I also have back pain, and I'm pretty tired. I don't know if I should reccomend a laxitive because it did cause more pain, but it also got rid of what was in there. Good Luck.
Unread 07-07-2005, 07:17 PM

pimie,

A stimulant laxative is going to cause intestinal cramps - not too pleasant following a hysterectomy. Milk of Magnesia is not a stimulant laxative. It simply draws water into the colon and I have found it to be very effective. Colace is good for softening the stool, but not so great for getting things moving.
Unread 07-07-2005, 07:24 PM

Thanks so much for the advice. Will send my DH to the store and try M of M or The Gax X. I am feeling a little better each day, but feel once I get rid of the gas, I have this recovery on a good road. ThX.
Unread 07-08-2005, 07:31 PM

Hi there, when I was in hospital (Ireland) they gave me hot water with peppermint. Worked like a dream!!!
Unread 07-08-2005, 08:08 PM

Hi, went to the store to get the Gas X this a.m., but by the time I got there I couldn't get out of the car. Soooo, decided to go home. Had a little more gas, and a BM, and then decided I would not eat again. By Noon, I was hungry, but not ready for the gas pains. Had a beer, then two, and now 5. Still no gas pains, but I will probably have a huge headache when I wake up. Sending the kids for GAS X when they have a minute to spare.....you know they are busy with sleeping and stuff.
Unread 07-08-2005, 08:56 PM

Just thought I would give you an idea that worked wonders for me. The gas pains were the worst part of this for me and never tried anything except for placing a heating pad (actually a microwave bag) on the top part of my stomach. I could literally start feeling everything moving around. as much water as you can and Hope everyone finds relief soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register