Scheduled TLH Outpatient procedure? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Outpatient procedure? Outpatient procedure?

Unread 08-16-2013, 08:15 AM
Outpatient procedure?

The nurse mentioned yesterday that doing a vaginal would be an outpatient procedure? I find that a little hard to believe, it still seems like major surgery.

Anyone have it done vaginally and gone home the same day? This makes me nervous.

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Re: Outpatient procedure?

I had davinci for biopsy with d&c and was home same day and was supposed to have laproscopically home same day. I had complications and ended up open abdominal so earned a stay for a few days. The same day procedure was ok and although the ride home was tough I was very happy to be in my own home that night. You're usually alert enough and doped enough for pain to be able walk to the bathroom and go by yourself. That's the benchmark it seems. I was surprised how well I was doing after the davinci procedure.
Unread 08-16-2013, 09:50 AM

I did. I had short stay outpatient too. My surgery was at 7:30 am and I was in my own bed at home by 1:30 pm. It would have been even shorter if my nurse had her way. She tried to discharge me at 11:30, 5 seconds after I went pee. I couldn't even stand on my own and she was giving me my discharge instructions. I wouldn't leave though. I just laid back down and said I'm not ready. We had some issues over pain meds too. She didn't want to give me any, she just wanted to discharge me but I wasn't leaving until I git a pain pill. I won and I left 30 minutes later. I felt really rushed out the door but it felt amazing to be home in my own bed. I am healing really well and haven't need any pain medication since day 2, not even tylenol. Good luck! The waiting is the hardest part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysierra View Post
The nurse mentioned yesterday that doing a vaginal would be an outpatient procedure? I find that a little hard to believe, it still seems like major surgery.

Anyone have it done vaginally and gone home the same day? This makes me nervous.

J
It is major surgery. I had the Da Vinci assisted hysterectomy, but my Dr. advised me after that he removed my uterus vaginally after he had surgically removed it. He did have me spend one night at the hospital for observation and was discharged the following day at about 2p.m. He even asked me if I was ready to go or he would request an additional day for me. Maybe you should speak to your Dr. about this.
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:00 AM

I had DaVinci and stayed one night, but when my doc saw me a few hours post-op he said I was doing great and could go home if I wanted to. My family and I were all mentally prepared for an overnight and I knew that a quick shift would have been too disruptive so I elected to stay, but honestly I would have been ok going home.
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:21 AM

I think the younger you are and the healthier you are the better the chance of being given outpatient. They aren't going to let someone with complications or high blood pressure or low blood pressure or breathing problems go. They make sure all your vitals are stable first. The nurses kept telling me how great my vitals were. You are actually safer out of a hospital when you are stable/ready - less risk of infection and medical mistakes.
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:29 PM

This is, indeed, a major surgery. I had a vaginal hysterectomy and was told I would be in hospital one night. My doctor does not consider it an outpatient procedure. I had issues with pain control and ended up staying two nights. Very glad I did. For me, going home the same day was completely unrealistic. I was unable to stand the day of surgery and my catheter didn't come out until the next morning.
Unread 08-17-2013, 01:39 AM

I went home the same day, and I'm glad I did. I had no nausea, was able to pee with no problem, keep down solid food, and my pain was under control. All my vitals were fine. My surgeon told me I could opt to stay the night, but I was ready to go home!
Unread 08-17-2013, 04:17 AM

It is still an invasive surgery but if your Nurse said you can go home the same day and after the Operation all your Vitals are fine, your pain under controle and you can pee and keep food down you should be ok to go home.

I had an TAH on a Thursday and could have gone home on the Saturday , asked to stay one more Night because my HB and BP where so low after my Surgery and I just did not feel right.
Even going home that Sunday seemed to early for me, but all went well.
Unread 08-17-2013, 06:33 AM

Mine was outpatient as well, but done in the hospital. I arrived at 6:30am, went in OR at 7:30am, was in recovery and waking up at 9:15am, and would have been released at 10a, but my Dr was in surgery and we had to wait until 11am for him to sign my discharge papers, LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register