Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy with vertical incision: worried about healing process and pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy with vertical incision: worried about healing process and pain Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy with vertical incision: worried about healing process and pain

Unread 09-25-2014, 08:49 PM
Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy with vertical incision: worried about healing process and pain

I am scheduled to have TAH with vertical incision 10/20/14 and no matter what I do I cant seem to stop worrying about the healing process and the pain after the surgery. I am trying my best to stay positive and I am so thankful for this website because I know that im not alone or going insane. Women go through so much and yet we are so strong and I am amazed at we can get knocked down and still manage to get up and pull ourselves together while still taking care of our families and holding down jobs no matter what challenges we face. I will try to keep all of the love and positivity I read on hystersisters with me and know that there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy with vertical incision: worried about healing process and pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolaterouge View Post
I am scheduled to have TAH with vertical incision 10/20/14 and no matter what I do I cant seem to stop worrying about the healing process and the pain after the surgery. I am trying my best to stay positive and I am so thankful for this website because I know that im not alone or going insane. Women go through so much and yet we are so strong and I am amazed at we can get knocked down and still manage to get up and pull ourselves together while still taking care of our families and holding down jobs no matter what challenges we face. I will try to keep all of the love and positivity I read on hystersisters with me and know that there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel.
I felt the same as you do right now and I'm on day 8 and I'm sore but it's not that bad when I went into the hospital I told my doctor I am so afraid of pain and she made sure I felt hardly any when I woke up please try hard not to stress so much you will be fine take your pain meds when they say don't skip it at least for the first week and when you are in the hospital make sure as I did tell the nurse to wake you if you are asleep for your pain meds I'm a wimp so that's why I did it take care and we are all here to help you 😊 (((( hugs ))))
Unread 10-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Re: Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy with vertical incision: worried about healing process and pain

I had a TAH on Oct 2. With a vertical incision. The day after the surgery was the hardest for me. Make sure to ask for pain meds before the pain gets ahead of you. Two days after surgery, I was amazed at how much better I felt. I only needed Motrin for pain during the day. Just be sure to take it easy!! Follow your doctors orders!! I am still very tired and nap daily, but feel stronger every day. The pain is manageable if you stay ahead of it. I only have pain when I stand too long or walk around too much. Best of luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Re: Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy with vertical incision: worried about healing process and pain

Chin up, sister. I had a TAH with a vertical incision and never had any real pain at all, just some soreness and twingey-ness. After I was released from the hospital three days after surgery, I never needed narcotics. I took ibuprofen pretty regularly the first week and occasionally the second.

I had an easy recovery with no complications. I live alone and had absolutely no trouble taking of myself and my two cats. I went for lots of short walks in my neighbourhood and used the "down time" to sit in the sun reading, sewing and playing with my cats. I returned to work at a part-time desk job at four weeks with some restrictions. By eight weeks, life was back to normal.
Unread 10-15-2014, 05:11 PM

Like Surprised, I had virtually no pain, never even needed pain meds, and healed up quickly. Good luck to you, but you will be fine!
Unread 10-15-2014, 06:31 PM

Have no fear, they will keep you comfortable in the hospital and you will continue to take pain medication when you come home. I had completely weaned myself off of pain meds 2 weeks after my surgery date. The type of surgery I had takes the longest to recovery from so I simply take things day by day. This community is filled with so much understanding and support. You will be just fine! Welcome and good luck on the 20th.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register