20 days post hysterectomy - light bleeding and crampy pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

20 days post hysterectomy - light bleeding and crampy pain 20 days post hysterectomy - light bleeding and crampy pain

Unread 04-04-2016, 02:15 AM
20 days post hysterectomy - light bleeding and crampy pain

Hello ladies. I have decided to break down and ask if anyone has experienced this. I had my full laparoscopic hysterectomy done on March 15th of this year and am on day 19 of recovery. Things have been very good since the surgery, I've been up and walking since the day I got home. In the past week, I've felt great. Out of nowhere, for the past couple days, I've been experiencing light bleeding that looks brown whenever I go to the bathroom and wipe. I've also had crampy pain in my lower stomach as well as little stingy pains that feel high up in my vagina. I've read that this can be my sutures disintegrating and old tissue sloughing off, but I'm wondering if the pain part is normal. I'm starting to get worried so if anyone has advice, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2016, 02:47 AM
Re: Advise

I have heard it can be normal. But it my case it was not. At two weeks post op I had brown watery discharge and similar pains. I contacted my surgeon, I was told to take it easy, could be stitches dissolving and to watch for bright red bleeding. The next week I had more cramping but attributed it to healing etc., then I got period type cramps (weird) went to check out the wetness I felt on my panties and found bright red spotting. I figured I needed to take some time to rest, made it home and heard a *pop* or felt, I guess is a better word. I started gushing bright red blood and lots of it. I filled several pads. I called my surgeon, they told me to get in and get checked out. Pain was sharp and different from pain I had experienced, I knew something was wrong. Vaginal cuff dissohence. I had ruptured my vaginal cuff stickers. In some cases it can be alleviated with bed rest etc., mine was sever enough to warrant emergency surgery. I was lucky that no other organs were damaged. What happened to me was VERY rare.

I'm not trying to scare you! Odds are you are fine! (I am a walking Murphy's law) but please keep in contact with your doc and keep an eye out for bright red heavy bleeding. If you are unsure, call your doc, and their after hours. That is what they are there for

Again, please do not worry, but I had no idea that this could happen prior to my experience with it and think there needs to be more awareness. If you are feeling cramps, your body is trying to tell you to slow down. With any change in discharge keep in contact with your doc so they can let you know what to watch for
Unread 04-04-2016, 07:36 AM
Re: 20 days post hysterectomy - light bleeding and crampy pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyPhoenix982 View Post
Hello ladies. I have decided to break down and ask if anyone has experienced this. I had my full laparoscopic hysterectomy done on March 15th of this year and am on day 19 of recovery. Things have been very good since the surgery, I've been up and walking since the day I got home. In the past week, I've felt great. Out of nowhere, for the past couple days, I've been experiencing light bleeding that looks brown whenever I go to the bathroom and wipe. I've also had crampy pain in my lower stomach as well as little stingy pains that feel high up in my vagina. I've read that this can be my sutures disintegrating and old tissue sloughing off, but I'm wondering if the pain part is normal. I'm starting to get worried so if anyone has advice, thank you!
I'm only on day 6 (my surgery was last Tuesday), so I haven't experienced this, but the information I received from my doctor says "Two weeks after surgery, some women experience an increase in vaginal bleeding for 24 hours. This is normal. However, if it persists or becomes very heavy, call your doctor." You probably should call and check it out, especially since you have pain with it. Hopefully it's not a problem. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2016, 07:48 AM
Taking it sloooow. . .

Quote of the day on the Remember the Milk app this morning:

“O snail
Climb Mount Fuji,
But slowly, slowly!”
- Kobayashi Issa

I think this should be my motto -- trying to remember to take things slowly. I've been feeling pretty good, and so have had a tendency to do too much. I'm going to take some advice from the many people who have written cautions in here, and consciously slow down and do less. Thank you to everyone for sharing your experiences and advice!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register