Scheduled TAH Upcoming hysterectomy 11/18: Getting Scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 11/18: Getting Scared Upcoming hysterectomy 11/18: Getting Scared

Unread 11-11-2016, 10:03 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 11/18: Getting Scared

I go in for my per op appointment today and the big day is next Friday.

I am still have not made my mind up about keeping the ovaries I am 54 and in perimenopause.

I am taking acouple of days off to get my condo ready for Christmas. I live by myself so I will spend sometime at my moms house. I know that I will not be able to get it ready for Christmas after my surgery. I do have a four legged fur baby cat but he is not much help

I have a great mom and we do not live so far away so she can down and help me. She is only less than five minutes away.

I have split entry in my condo my kitchen and bedroom is upstairs and I have a bathroom but it is a bathtub and shower so I have to step over the tub to get into it is that a problem?

Hugs and a hope a fast recovery for everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2016, 12:35 PM
Re: Getting Scared

A lot of people on this site recovered alone and I am sure some will come along and tell you about it. As for the tub/shower issue, I had a small step stool to go in with. I held onto the wall to get in. Getting out of course is a breeze as you just step over the edge of the tub. I also had a seat in there as it felt better to sit at first.
Unread 11-11-2016, 03:04 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 11/18: Getting Scared

I'm similar position with hysterectomy next week! Have days where I'm ready and then moments of panic. Good luck with everything! I'm away from home so recovering on a boat which isn't ideal but have no choice. Would love to be back home with family. Let us know how u go!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2016, 05:50 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 11/18: Getting Scared

Hi SBaker1208 -

The pre-op can make your surgery very real. I remember my pre-op, and thinking "Wow, this is actually going to happen, isn't it!"

My shower situation is much the same - a shower in a tub that you have to step into. My DH would stand by me and just offer a hand for me to get in and out. I took it VERY SLOWLY and CAREFULLY. I did not have any issue. Make sure your mom is there the first few times you shower so that she can assist you if needed.

Here is information on keeping your ovaries if you are near menopause. Even in menopause, your ovaries provide small amounts of estrogen that is good for your health. I was rudely dumped into surgical menopause at age 46. For me, surgical menopause was MISERABLE! My doctor put me on HRT and it gave me my life back, but it is not the same as my own hormones. I would have kept my ovaries if I could have - no choice for me, though.

I am sure your fur baby kitty loves to help you. He will do what I call "the laying on of paws" to help you heal. They know something is wrong, and will want to heal you with his presence. If he is a lap cat (like my three boys), you will want to get a small pillow to put between your tender tummy and him when he sits on your lap. If he likes to walk on you at night, get a normal sleeping pillow and drape it over your abdomen when you sleep. That way he cannot hurt you.

I am glad your mom is so close so she can help you out.

Unread 11-14-2016, 06:41 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 11/18: Getting Scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBaker1208 View Post
I go in for my per op appointment today and the big day is next Friday.

I am still have not made my mind up about keeping the ovaries I am 54 and in perimenopause.

I am taking acouple of days off to get my condo ready for Christmas. I live by myself so I will spend sometime at my moms house. I know that I will not be able to get it ready for Christmas after my surgery. I do have a four legged fur baby cat but he is not much help

I have a great mom and we do not live so far away so she can down and help me. She is only less than five minutes away.

I have split entry in my condo my kitchen and bedroom is upstairs and I have a bathroom but it is a bathtub and shower so I have to step over the tub to get into it is that a problem?

Hugs and a hope a fast recovery for everyone
That's so nice that your mom can help. My mom came and stayed with me the first week after surgery and even though I probably could have managed by myself, it was nice to have the company.

I have a bathtub/shower like yours and I did fine stepping over it. Just take it slow and be careful. A shower chair won't hurt if you are nervous about falling. I didn't use one, but I do have a little handle in my tub surround that I could hold on to.

I also have stairs in my home-there is a whole flight just to get in the house, and another flight to get into my bedroom. I did okay with that too, just take it slowly and if you feel faint or weak at all, sit down on the stairs till you feel better!

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register