Getting scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting scared Getting scared

Unread 09-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Getting scared

Well, I FINALLY broke down tonight. I am close to being in total freak out mode. I called my doctors office today to make sure we were doing my H vaginally. Nope, he is doing it abdominally. The nurse said that he only does them abdominally if he finds something during your pelvic exam that would keep him from doing it vaginally. I didn't ask what since I was in shock. Now, I am in the hospital ALL weekend instead of home on Saturday, I am looking at longer recovery & more pain. Plus, I am fluffy enough, I don't need the extra swelling!! I am a big girl and I don't know if the pants that I bought for the hospital will fit over a swollen belly. How long should I expect to be swollen for?? I know that I need this surgery. I havee had problems for literally over half my life. Plus, with cancer running in my family I need to be cautious and get this done. UGH!! Friday can not come fast enough.

Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Getting scared

Oh honey, it's not so bad having an abdominal. Really. If you have drawstring pants, those would be best. The swelling is no fun, but a good indicator of when you've overdone. It will be worse in the evening or after you've done too much, so prepare for that. An gallon Ziplock full of ice and wrapped with a towel will feel like heaven on earth, then. The Swelly Belly Band serves the same function, as well as support.

I made a judgement call and took my biggest elastic waist knit pants to the castle with me. They fit okay, but I put on a caftan as soon as I got home. Pajamas and lounging clothes were all I'd wear for weeks anyway. They kept people from assuming I was well enough to resume work too early.

Lena
Unread 09-19-2007, 07:25 AM
Getting scared

I had a tah/bso and didn't even try to wear pants for awhile. I wore a robe home from the hospital and then gowns for a while. After that, loose jumper type dresses and soft elastic waisted or drawstring pants worked well.
I was swollen but it went down some each day. After a few weeks, I only got swollen if I had a fairly active day. That would get better after some rest

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Getting scared

Don't worry. I had my TAH 3 weeks ago and I am very fluffy. I was really worried about it healing with my fluffyness hanging over it, but it has healed very well.

I am doing great, except now I think I have a bladder infection which is my own fault because I drink to many diet cokes. But I am already back at work, which my bosses spoil me and want let me do anything but sit, and I feel better than ever. I just bought some big sleep pants which is what I have been wearing to work, and they work great. Just take it easy and it will be fine. < oops!! email address removed for safety and privacy; please use the email button in the author's profile >
Have a speedy recovery!
Kellie
Unread 09-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Getting scared

Thanks everyone! I am feeling better. I had my pre-op today, so I did get some questions answered. Tonight I am going to get some big, drawstring type pants & not let things worry me anymore.

WarEagle--where are you located? I noticed your name because we are HUGE Auburn fans on my house!!

Deb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register