Im So Scared!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Im So Scared!!! Im So Scared!!!

Unread 07-15-2001, 10:05 AM
Im So Scared!!!

Hi..I found out a few days ago..I have Fybroid Tumors..and My Doctor wants me to have a Hysterectomy!!! I have no kids...Im 37, I knew I would not be able to have children anyway as my husband is sterile due to Chemo. I feel as tho I am losing My Femininity! I am also terrified of the surgery...My Husband has been great about the whole thing...But I get the feeling from some friends that it's NO BIG DEAL....Well guess what ? It is to me! Is It me? I have so many emotions raging right now...I am not sure whether I am coming or going. Anyway...I stumbled into this site looking for shelter! I found it! Thanks to all of you Lovely ladies who have shared your feelings and stories..I am starting to feel better about will happen to me, And what I might go thru after surgery. So I will keep reading..and Thanks again for BEING HERE! You are all angles in waiting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2001, 10:15 AM
Im So Scared!!!

Awww Stormi....first I want to give you a great big

I know you are scared, we all are at this stage. Waiting for surgery is difficult. Mine is scheduled for this Friday and I can hardly wait for it to be over with so I can focus on recovery. For now, I just keep putting one foot in front of the other and I know that by this time next week, I will probably be back home AFTER the surgery.

As far as your friends go, they may just be trying to down play it a bit for your benefit. Hysterectomies are very common surgeries but they are a major surgery and you need to plan your recovery. It takes several weeks/months to get back to normal.

If you haven't already done it, make sure you check out the pull down menus on the Hyster Sister home page. They have helped me so much. The one for "Ladies in Waiting" really helped me get more organized all the way from my list of questions for my preop appointment but also for things to take to the hospital and what I need to do after I come home.

I know that fibroids have been discussed here many times. Try doing a search for them using the search feature located at the top of the page on the button that says "search" . Post as often as you can and know that we are all here for you.
Unread 07-15-2001, 10:20 AM
Im So Scared!!!

Hi Stormi! It is perfectly normal for you to feel the way you do. I struggled with the feeling of losing what I thought made me a woman. After my doc first told me I needed the surgery, I was quite upset. Then one day my dh told me it was no big deal. Later I talked with him about it and he only meant that it was a common surgery and that my doc knew what he was doing. It was my dh's way of trying to reassure me. My thinkng was; however, that this is not hundred's of thousands of women, this is ME! Well this website really helped me a lot and you will find that it will be of great importance to you also. My dh did not want to talk about it , but a good thing would be to ask yours if he has any questions to please let you know. Mine had questions and did not ask until the day before surgery! It is okay to be afraid of the surgery, you would not be normal if you were not a little aprehensive. I thought I was calm the morning I went and when they took my blood pressure(normally 110/70) was 132 over 88!
When you go for pre-op as them to walk you through what to expect. Also, I thoght I wanted and epidural, but my doc would not do the surgery that way. When it was over, I was glad I had the general anesthesia. Post again if you have any questions. These ladies are here to help! God Bless and Hugs and Prayers!

TAH/BSO June 25th Uterine Fibroids and diseased ovaries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2001, 10:26 AM
Thanks

You ladies are so wonderful...Thank you so much for your support! I will continue to read and post..
Unread 07-15-2001, 11:16 AM
Being scared

Hi Stormi,
I was very scared before mine too. I had TVH/bladder repair & lift,Ligament lift...everything down in that general area because of a bad prolapse. I couldn't sleep/had nightmares/was worried my hormones would shut down (kept the ovaries). The wait was by far the worse part. the unknown.
This web site was my life line Any ??? I had it seemed like someone answered in a matter of minutes.
I got the house in best shape I could, stocked up on stuff,tried to make notes of stuff so I wouldn't forget when I got home.
I am slowly getting back to my self, but it takes time. And I find I need to be more patient w/healing part. I had major surgery & my body needs time. I know when I've overdone it!!
I just do what I can & can't wait until another 3-4 wks because by then I should feel better than ever...& you will too.

Sharon
Unread 07-15-2001, 02:05 PM
Im So Scared!!!

Hi!!

I think all of us have started a post with the words "I'm so scared"!!! It's a perfectly normal reaction to this very scary stuff!

You have found the greatest place there is to get ready for what's ahead. It is a BIG DEAL!!! But you can get prepared and get your family and home ready...and we'll all be here to help you in any way we can.

Keep reading and posting, and ask everything that pops into your head. By the time your surgery rolls around, you will be ready to face it armed with lots of knowledge, confidence, and the love and support of your Hyster Sisters!!! You hang in there, and it will be OK!!!!

Sending you a great big !!!!

Karen
Unread 07-15-2001, 02:47 PM
hang in there

Stormi,
We have all been in your shoes...feel no shame for being scared....I know I was terrified! I calmed myself by researching the topic, and visiting this website often! Please know that you are not alone and no matter what anyone says...it IS a big deal! Not only is it a major surgery but one that is full of psychological ties. You will work this out in your head and your heart and by the time the day comes..you will be more confident....the calmness may not come until after surgery..lol....you will hear that the wait is the worst part and it is...I am now 10 days post op and though I'm still a bit sore and tired...the worst is over and I look forward to a healthy/happy life! At first, I thought this would be a website that women frequent for a few weeks...now my mind has changed as I realize that this website has given me and will continue to give me a kind of support and compassion and friends that I will never abandon...I feel a need to a least try to give back and post some words of comfort to those who have yet "gone to the castle" and continue the comraderie with those who have. Now keep reading, talking and don't forget to breathe! Best wishes, Grace
Unread 07-15-2001, 03:03 PM
We're here for you, Stormi

You have found the right place to be right now. What you are facing, and what we have all faced, is a big deal. As for your friends, it is true that hysters are pretty much routine anymore, but when you're having it, it is a big deal. I can totally relate to your reaction. I, too, found out I had a huge fibroid, and it was causing heavy periods. This was the reason for my anemia, which was my only complaint. (I just thought my heavy periods were part of aging.) And a hyster was recommended.

The waiting is the hardest part, but come back to this site, as you learn more about your situation (are you having/had ultrasound?) and your alternatives. Because I had not had children and the fibroid was so large, I had to have TAH (instead of TVH) but I chose to keep my ovaries (did not want to deal with menopausal symptoms, if I could help it, during recovery). But everyone is different and if you have questions, certainly there will be a sister or two on these boards that can help you by sharing their experiences.

Hang in there. Your are not alone; in fact, far from it.

Big hug to you.
Unread 07-15-2001, 03:09 PM
Im So Scared!!!

Hi Stormi!!
I can't add anything that the wonderful ladies haven't already said. Just wanted to say that we are glad you are here, and I have a feeling you will feel so much better about things after spending some time here. Its simply amazing how much support and caring there is here for everyone.
I also wanted to send you a big ole . This part, the waiting, truly is the hardest.....as you will see many women say in their posts.
All the best Stormi! There is calmer weather ahead for you!
Maria
Unread 07-15-2001, 03:14 PM
Im So Scared!!!

Hi Stormi, the other sisters covered the issue of being scared, I want to comment on "losing your femininity". I am 10 weeks post op after having a TAH. I feel more feminine now than I ever did before. I no longer have to worry about hemorraging, not being being able to walk for a long time, always in pain and constantly miserable. Having the surgery was the best thing that ever happened to me. It was also a surprise but during my wait I must of met or heard of another 100 women that I knew who also had it. I have a better relationship with my husband now than ever before and believe me it was also great before. He now treats me like a porcelein doll. I can now wear the sexy underwear and not worry about them getting bloody . and the sexy nightgowns that I didn't want ruined before. It feels great......don't worry.....you will be fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register