Ureter Stent Placement | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ureter Stent Placement Ureter Stent Placement

Unread 10-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Ureter Stent Placement

Hello sis,
During my LAVH my Doc accidentally damaged my right ureter. First they said he sutured it but now they are saying that it was obliterated possibly during my surgery. I did not have any problems with peeing or anything urinary before the surgery.

My question is, has any one suffered any damage to a ureter during their hysterectomy and had to have a stent in place? I am suffering not because of healing from my LAVH. I am having pain peeing. I can't get a full night sleep because I am waking up having to pee. I do not want to become dependent on pain meds, for the pain. I am also having cranberry colored urine. My Urologist told me that all of these things are normal with stent placement.

I just want some tips or suggestions on how to cope with a kidney stent. I will have it removed on 11/15/10. It seems so far away. I will also like to know once it is removed does the frequency pain and urgency go away? I am looking forward to feeling normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Re: Ureter Stent Placement

bharris has stents in - she also had a catheter bag for 2 weeks. Do you have one in?

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this - it stinks. I'll say a prayer for you. I don't have to deal with that- just a catheter for bladder repair.
Unread 10-26-2010, 09:42 AM

I had a thermal burn on my left ureter that wasn't found until I ended up back in the hospital 5 days post op due to pain. They put a stent in and told me it will stay in for about 3-4 months, then take it out and hoped it healed. I do have the cranberry colored urine sometimes ans try to drink a ton of water and it clears up sometimes. I do notice that I pee alittle more often and don't seem to go as much. I have a discomfort in my back but not much when I pee. I wish I could help you figure out a way to have less pain. I hope when they take it out all is well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csdc4747 View Post
I had a thermal burn on my left ureter that wasn't found until I ended up back in the hospital 5 days post op due to pain. They put a stent in and told me it will stay in for about 3-4 months, then take it out and hoped it healed. I do have the cranberry colored urine sometimes ans try to drink a ton of water and it clears up sometimes. I do notice that I pee little more often and don't seem to go as much. I have a discomfort in my back but not much when I pee. I wish I could help you figure out a way to have less pain. I hope when they take it out all is well.
I did have a catheter for two weeks. I was so happy when they removed it. Wow three to four months is a long time.I am so glad they just cut off the damage part and reattached it but I guess they felt your ureter is able to heal without surgery. I am taking supplements called triple berry complex instead of drinking cranberry juice,which has to much sugar. I will let you know how I am doing once they take it out.
Thanks for posting.
Unread 10-26-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3jand View Post
bharris has stents in - she also had a catheter bag for 2 weeks. Do you have one in?

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this - it stinks. I'll say a prayer for you. I don't have to deal with that- just a catheter for bladder repair.
who is bharris? I went home with a catheter for two weeks.
Unread 10-26-2010, 02:14 PM

I guesss I was lucky and only had the catheter for 10 days. This is the first time my gyn/oncologist has had this happen to her. She is putting all her trust in the urologist that it will heal well. I agree about cranberry juice and drink the no sugar added one. Yes, please let me know how you make out. If you are like me you just want it to all work so we can stop worrying about if it going to be normal again.
Unread 10-26-2010, 02:31 PM

Bharris - is her id on this site......look around you'll see her posts she just got her catheter taken out yesterday.

Crossing fingers I get my cath bag out on Thursday - 2 weeks is long enough for this thing.
Unread 10-26-2010, 03:17 PM

I had daVinci surgery to remove uterus and cervix which resulted in a stitch that tore a hole in my bladder.

So, 2 days after my hyster, they realized I was leaking urine into my body and did surgery. The urologist fixed the hole in my bladder and put stents in both ureters just as a precaution. I then came home with a catheter and foley bag for 2 weeks. For the first 10 days or so, my urine was, yes, like cranberry juice... GROSS!! And to think I am now drinking cranberry juice to help with the discomfort of peeing... lol

The catheter finally came out yesterday and the urologist told me that I'd have discomfort from the stents until they came out. I have had occasional back pain and lots of discomfort when I pee. He said this was normal. I'm hoping that the pain in my bladder settles down once my bladder gets reconditioned to emptying w/o the cath.

I have the ureters in for 4 more weeks (total of 6 weeks). Urologist said that I may even have occasional blood tinted urine because of the stents irritating the ureters. And, once the stents come out, he said I may still have some discomfort and urination frequency for up to 6 weeks... SHEESH!!!!!

What we haven't been, through, huh??

So, Wanda, I know this doesn't help you with the pain and discomfort, unfortunately, but I hope it helps to know that you are not alone.

I am pumping myself full of water and cranberry juice (said I'd never drink it again, but if it will help keep infections away, I'm all for it) and occasionally taking ibuprofen if the pain gets too bad. I was up twice last night to pee, so I didn't think that was too bad.

Please let me know if you want to "commiserate".
Unread 10-26-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris View Post
I had daVinci surgery to remove uterus and cervix which resulted in a stitch that tore a hole in my bladder.

So, 2 days after my hyster, they realized I was leaking urine into my body and did surgery. The urologist fixed the hole in my bladder and put stents in both ureters just as a precaution. I then came home with a catheter and foley bag for 2 weeks. For the first 10 days or so, my urine was, yes, like cranberry juice... GROSS!! And to think I am now drinking cranberry juice to help with the discomfort of peeing... lol

The catheter finally came out yesterday and the urologist told me that I'd have discomfort from the stents until they came out. I have had occasional back pain and lots of discomfort when I pee. He said this was normal. I'm hoping that the pain in my bladder settles down once my bladder gets reconditioned to emptying w/o the cath.

I have the ureters in for 4 more weeks (total of 6 weeks). Urologist said that I may even have occasional blood tinted urine because of the stents irritating the ureters. And, once the stents come out, he said I may still have some discomfort and urination frequency for up to 6 weeks... SHEESH!!!!!

What we haven't been, through, huh??

So, Wanda, I know this doesn't help you with the pain and discomfort, unfortunately, but I hope it helps to know that you are not alone.

I am pumping myself full of water and cranberry juice (said I'd never drink it again, but if it will help keep infections away, I'm all for it) and occasionally taking ibuprofen if the pain gets too bad. I was up twice last night to pee, so I didn't think that was too bad.

Please let me know if you want to "commiserate".
Bharris, I so sorry to hear that I am not alone. I would not wish this on any one. Before I have my LAVH I mentally prepared myself for the surgery. The complication made things worse. I do have to tell you that this been a very volatile experience for both me and my family. I do feel ok but it is something to have to go through this. I can remember going home with the Foley catheter and wearing that leg bag for two weeks. I hated it. Now that its gone I am having bladder spasm and urinary frequency. My urologist had me taking a antibiotic to help prevent an infection. The antibiotic gave me a yeast infection. I stopped taking it. I am seeking homeopathic remedies to prevent infection like cranberry supplements and lots of aloe vera juice and water.

I put in a call to my urologist to see if he could take it out before six weeks. I do not want to wait til the middle of next month to get it taken off.
Lets keep in contact. This stent placement doesn't seem common not a lot of response to this post. Last, my urologist said that I can only walk around my house. I can not do ant walking exercise because the stent can irritate the ureter/ bladder and cause more bleeding. Exercise has always been a stress relief and antidepressant. I know that I can't do my turbo jam, body Gospel or zumba exercise but I would love to just go for a 15-20 min walk.
LaWanda
Unread 10-26-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3jand View Post
Bharris - is her id on this site......look around you'll see her posts she just got her catheter taken out yesterday.

Crossing fingers I get my cath bag out on Thursday - 2 weeks is long enough for this thing.
I can remember how that felt. Just knowing that is was about to come out made me more anxious. It was not big deal when they took it out. I could have done it myself. after its out let us know how your doing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register