What can I REALLY expect AFTER a Hyst? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What can I REALLY expect AFTER a Hyst? What can I REALLY expect AFTER a Hyst?

Unread 05-24-2001, 01:10 PM
What can I REALLY expect AFTER a Hyst?

Hi Ladies~
I'm hoping someone can shed some REAL light as to what I can expect to happen to my body after the surgery. I feel so ignorant, though I've spoken to my MD a number of times, about the medical aspect, I'm thinking that there's more that I'll find out after the fact.
I'm scheduled for a hysterectomy on June 8, 2001. My MD first posed this to me a year ago during my annual exam, because of heavy bleeding, a fibroid in my uterine wall, pain during ovulation, a second period - because of the fibroid as well as major PMS. I tried going on the pill and it helped for a while but then I got the second bleeding thing again. At this point having the hysterectomy feels like a good option - it will get rid of all of my pain, right? I'm feeling leary about what I might NOT know- ie. does not having a monthly period speed up the aging process? will my libido suffer? will I dry up down there? Again, I feel ignorant and naive asking these questions, embarrassed as well, but they are real concerns and any clarity would be GREATLY appreciated. I've asked a number of friends who have NOT had hysterectomies and I think they may just be passing on untrue horror stories....
Thanks for any REAL info.
Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2001, 01:24 PM

Hi Beth,
I too am scheduled for a hysterectomy on June 8th. I am terribly nervous but at the same time I a so glad it is almost over. I have been in pain for several months (I know there are women here that have been in pain for years). :'( My reason for a hyst is because of prolapse, endo and who knows what they might find. I fortunately am finished having children. I have wondered about some of the same things that you mentioned. Especially the sex thing. Hubby and I are still like newlyweds.... Of course the last month has been totally misreable. Anything must be better than this. I am hoping to keep my ovaries. But no one will know until they go in there. Take care and keep in touch. Good luck.
Unread 05-24-2001, 03:41 PM

As far as I am concerned, and from what I have read here everyone else here feels the same way, there is nothing that is off limits here, no reason to be embarrassed....we all are going through or have been through similar things, and I am sure that all of us have asked the same questions (even if not outloud) and had the same concerns. The purpose of the site is to give us all a forum to talk about these things. So lets talk away. I am pre-op and will have my surgery after you, so I am not alot of help on the experience, but I have read alot and talked alot and questioned alot...so if there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.

Sallie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2001, 03:55 PM
"REAL" Info.

Generally speaking, if all goes well, your body should feel better. That isn't meant to be a smart a** reply.
Logically, you are having your surgery for a reason so one could expect the symptoms for the reason(s) will disappear and you will not be experiencing them anymore.

Specifically, how will YOUR body feel? I don't think that can be answered. You can get a lot of specific information from here on how other ladies bodies felt; some will say awful, great, in-between and why. It is pretty accurate to say YOU won't feel everything they describe. Every woman experiences her hysterectomy in a special way. A lot is physical and some is emotional. A positive attitude helps.

If you follow the instructions your physician gives you and belive the truism that is repeated here over and over and over: YOU have ONE chance to heal properly, don't blow it ~ then you will probably be one the great percentage of the women who feel pretty darn good.

If you read the posts here, then do like they do in say scoring for ice skating and toss out the very best and very worst posts, you will notice that the majority of the women do okay. What they say they felt could be what you will feel.

Here is a site that you might want to go to for some information. I went there and then at the top found the word "Search" and clicked. At the search screen, I typed in "Post hysterectomy" and it gave me several items to read. You might find what you are looking for, just remember to expect to be average!

http://www.wdxcyber.com/

Very best of luck to you.
Hugs,
Miranda
Unread 05-24-2001, 06:09 PM

Hi Beth!

You've asked some really good questions here, and they are questions we've all asked!

You didn't mention what kind of surgery, ie TVH or TAH, or whether or not you will keep your ovaries. All of specifics about your surgery will have an impact on how you feel immediately after, as well as down the road a week, a month or a year.

Please read the pull-down menus on the home page, to read about other sisters' experience with the various procedures, and the post op stories, too.

Write down all your questions, no matter how weird or embarrassing, and then schedule a sit down with your doctor, and get your answers. For example: If you will be losing your ovaries, whether or not you do HRT will also impact how you feel..what's the plan? In order to get your answers, you need to ask more questions!

Keep posting and reading, and we'll help you get through this!!

Karen
Unread 05-24-2001, 07:51 PM

Hi Beth

I could have written that post, when I was waiting for my hysterectomy... Maybe I did? Or one similar ...

The type of surgery your having as well as whether or not you are keeping your ovaries, certainly will have an impact on how you will feel after the surgery.

An hysterectomy is a MAJOR surgery. It takes 6 to 8 for initial recovery after a TAH or TVH and 4 to 6 weeks of initial recovery after an LSH. By then, you will be about 40 % recovered.

It is very likely that you will have some pain after the surgery, though it is impossible to predict how much. The one thing I know is that the hospital staff were very efficient in managing my pain. It is also likely that your belly will have a tendency to swell whenever you overdo it a little. And it is very likely that you will feel very easily tired for some time after the surgery. That's about where the similarities end.

On top of reading the pull-down menus - especially the Ladies in Waiting and the All About My Hysterectomy sections - you might want to read the Princesses Tell Their Story message board. All those stories sure helped me form a realistic view of what lay ahead for me.

Wishing you good reading.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register