Surgery tomorrow...feeling really nervous! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery tomorrow...feeling really nervous! Surgery tomorrow...feeling really nervous!

Unread 02-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Surgery tomorrow...feeling really nervous!

Keep having every possible horrible thing that can go wrong go thru my head! Trying to stay positive....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Re: Surgery tomorrow...feeling really nervous!

I know, I know. It's tough to not think of all that could happen. Keep busy today to occupy your mind. Do whatever you have to do in order to stay as sane as possible. I characterize it as a controlled chaos inside. Thoughts and prayers for you!
Unread 02-28-2013, 10:38 AM

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2013, 10:40 AM

I had the same kind of thoughts before surgery, I understand the fear! I read on a post here about a site where I could download meditations for pre-surgery visualizations and post surgery healing, I found both very, very helpful in keeping me positive and relaxed. The site is called "healthyjourneys". All the best tomorrow, prayers for a speedy recovery.
Unread 02-28-2013, 10:57 AM

I will look into that..thanks
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:23 AM

Hello! My surgery is tomorrow too and at times I just feel like puddling. I've worked my normal 4 hours today, cleaned a bathroom and 2 loads of laundry this AM before work and gave a 70# golden retriever a shower and groom at 9:00 last night! My friends say I'm nesting and I've been doing it for weeks! It's the only thing that's keeping me focused. I've read so many of the encouraging posts and am staying positive and looking forward to Saturday and being home. I'll be thinking of you and the others tomorrow and can't wait to meet again on the "post" side!
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:40 AM

That's perfectly normal, I think we all felt the same way. In my mind "I was going to die in surgery". I was so afraid of the anesthetic I told the anesthetist that he was the one I was afraid of and he could put me to sleep, the trick was I wanted him to wake me up too. While we laughed about it I was serious in a way. He stuck a needle in my IV, said he was just giving me something to take the edge off, that's the last thing I remember before I woke up 3 1/2 hours later totally fine.
It's normal to be nervous, just try not to let it get to you too much and find ways to distract yourself between now and surgery. I had thoughts lying there waiting for them to come get me of just leaving but I am so happy I did this now, it was completely worth it.
Today marks my 4 week anniversary and I'm headed out with my BFF for dinner and a basketball game and can't wait.
I'm also headed back to work next week part time and life is starting to finally get back to the way it should have been for the last 5 years. We always think the worst, but try to focus on the positive.
Monday would have been when my period was due and I felt great instead of lying on a floor hemorrhaging and in agony.
Good luck! Hugs
Unread 02-28-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loreyr View Post
That's perfectly normal, I think we all felt the same way. In my mind "I was going to die in surgery". I was so afraid of the anesthetic I told the anesthetist that he was the one I was afraid of and he could put me to sleep, the trick was I wanted him to wake me up too. While we laughed about it I was serious in a way. He stuck a needle in my IV, said he was just giving me something to take the edge off, that's the last thing I remember before I woke up 3 1/2 hours later totally fine.
It's normal to be nervous, just try not to let it get to you too much and find ways to distract yourself between now and surgery. I had thoughts lying there waiting for them to come get me of just leaving but I am so happy I did this now, it was completely worth it.
Today marks my 4 week anniversary and I'm headed out with my BFF for dinner and a basketball game and can't wait.
I'm also headed back to work next week part time and life is starting to finally get back to the way it should have been for the last 5 years. We always think the worst, but try to focus on the positive.
Monday would have been when my period was due and I felt great instead of lying on a floor hemorrhaging and in agony.
Good luck! Hugs
Thank you for this post! That is exactly how I feel - scared of dying in surgery and wondering if risking my life is worth a better quality of life. Everyone thinks I am over-reacting and maybe I am, but I've never had surgery and am terrified. Your story is very encouraging, though, and I appreciate it!! Being on this site fills me with more hope than dread.
Unread 02-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Surgery tomorrow...feeling really nervous!

Dearest pink. If your on this site you already have a wonderful advantage. My surgery was last Thursday and I've only been home a short while. Take care of yourself today by reading positive things and doing things you enjoy. Do not spend even one minute listening to or doing anything that makes you nervous. You don't need to study pictures of surgery and read horror stories. I was afraid just like you were but you need to focus on your speedy recovery. Worrying for me was worse than the surgery. Hang on there and I wish you the best!
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:03 PM

Reading all the positive comments really helps. Thanks girls!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register