Farewell To My Uterus Blues | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Farewell To My Uterus Blues Farewell To My Uterus Blues

Unread 10-19-2001, 06:24 PM
Farewell To My Uterus Blues

Hi Everyone,
I am 45 years old, have 3 children and have had a lifetime of gyn angst. Why am I then feeling so blue about losing my uterus? It doesn't seem rational!! I seem to be emotionally attached to this body part and it feels weird. Friends and family have all said this is the best thing that can happen but it sure doesn't feel that way! Any insights ladies? Does anyone else have these feelings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2001, 06:35 PM
Welcome, Si!

In answer to your question, I had a really huge cry right after my doctor told me I needed to consider a hysterectomy. I went home and cried my eyes out. After that I had some thoughts that my life just was not going to be the same, but finally I realized that although my uterus had been very useful, at this stage I was having nothing but problems with it. It didn't take me long to say "goodby" to my old friend! I think this is very normal. It takes awhile to adjust to losing any body part I would imagine. Hang in there, Si and be encouraged by Hystersisters. It really helps to put things in perspective. Do lots of research, get a second opinion...it never hurts. There are some really good pull down menus here and you can also use the search option. You'll find all kinds of invaluable info here.

Best wishes to you! s !!
Unread 10-19-2001, 09:05 PM

Sometimes I think it might be that we have these feelings because we are programmed to have them! Until I went through them too!
I went through them before my hyster(Just a few days before). I haven't had a bit of them since. My pathology report came back this last monday and that sucker was filled with infection and precancerous cells all over! I felt relieved and blessed to be rid of it before it caused what it could have.....and I had the hyster and repairs done cuz of prolapse! No one knew all that was in there!
It is natural to feel some loss and some emotional stuff surrounding this. Please remember you do not reside in your uterus. It does not make you a woman! It is but one small symbol of woman hood. You are a woman for many other reasons and will continue to be! I feel more of a woman now than before! The repairs have made me feel beautiful! It was all ugly and bulging before surgery! Now I feel proud to have my Dh look at me and drool! I feel more of a woman cuz I have the energy (almost... still recovering!) to do more of those woman things and romance I didnt before!
It is going to be ok! Just go with the flow...feel it....then know it is jsut a feeling and it will pass. Soon you will be buying sexy undies and white clothes again! No more bleeding and no more pain!
You are going to feel great!
Love Peanut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2001, 06:27 AM

HI Si

I know it is hard. For some of us, that is the "home" of our children for the first nine months of their life.

But, I looked at it like another body organ. If my appendix or gallbladder where causing me problems, would I think twice about removing it ? Heck NO !!!

Hope this helps......
Unread 10-20-2001, 07:14 AM

I also had a few qualms about losing my uterus. However, after six weeks of not having to get up two or three nights to go to the bathroom, and feeling like my whole pelvic floor was going to fall out when I stood up, I wouldn't have the son of a gun back for all the money in the world! In fact, I feel so fantastic now I don't even think about it anymore! I think you'll feel better about it after the surgery.

Good luck to you

MarlaSue

TAH/BSO 9/7/01
Unread 10-20-2001, 01:58 PM

Thank you all for your words of support.
I know the truth in what you say. I think the feelings are strong today because I still have a choice (Castle on 11/1). I hope that once I have recovered and feeling well again, I will be okay. Thanks again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register