1 week 2 days to go and terrified! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 week 2 days to go and terrified! 1 week 2 days to go and terrified!

Unread 06-01-2003, 05:53 PM
1 week 2 days to go and terrified!

This is my time on this site. I heard about it from a great friend who just went through this.

I am 30 years old (OK I will be 30 on June 4) with 2 kids, 3 1/2 years and 9 months. I have a cystocele, rectocele, and prolapsed uterus. I am tired of leaking urine every time I cough, sneeze, laugh, or pick up my kids, and forget about marital relations! I decided a few weeks ago to just get everything "taken care of" and be done with this stuff. So on June 10th I'll be having a VH and they'll repair the cystocele and rectocele at that time, thankfully I will be able to keep my ovaries.

I was very eager to read about what to expect from women who have been through this, but the more I read the more terrified and weepy I get. I think it is because I still don't know what to expect... I know I'll have the VH and that they can fix the cystocele that way, but have heard that the only way to fix the rectocele is abdominally, so that is worrying me a little. I don't like changes to "my" plan. :-)

I'd welcome any and all words of wisdom from those who have been through anything similar.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2003, 05:57 PM
I understand...

Well, I had the LAVH 3/28/03 and I am just thrilled!!! I don't know about the repair work cystocele and rectocele, but obviously you are only 30 and entitled to have a life! You can't go on this way. You probably would like to have a normal marital relationship and enjoy your kids and your overall life. I'm with you on that! Hang in there and just think you are giving yourself a big present--its time to take care of yourself! This is necessary and I think even though it might be hard you will be happy with the decision down the road.

Mary Wallace
age 48, put it off for years!!!!
adenomyocis, fibroids, enlarged uterus, painful cramping, excessive bleeding, lost sleep, lost sex life, and misery! No endo this time--had it lasered 8 years ago!
Unread 06-01-2003, 06:38 PM

SisterMoon,
I just turned 39 yrs old and am finally going in for surgery next Friday to take care of the exact same thing...prolapsed uterus, cystocele, and rectocele...now I'm no Dr. this is just my experience. My ob-gyn is doing the hyster and the rectocele repair...both done thru the vagina...apparently they can repair that part just inside and toward the back...for some reason I was thrilled to hear that...he referred me to a Urologist who will be doing the bladder supsension repair of the cystocele....and the Urologist told me he will be making a small incision by my pubic hairline to do that........so I don't know if that will be what you go through..but at least it gives you a something to think about...I'm getting very anxious myself...I have 3 small kids under 8 myself...I just want my life back..I want to get it behind me ...and I have been told by so many women and read so many great stories on this site...that say I will not regret my decision no matter how painful it turns out to be...that it is definitely worth it...so I'm just going to keep believing that to get me through it...good luck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2003, 07:08 PM

They did my repair along with my lap assisted vaginal hyster. It should be fine. I have never heard that it had to be done abdominally! I doubt you need to worry about that.

It is normal to be weepy and just a little freaked out by all of this. I know I was. I kept reading because to me Knowledge is Power.

When I went in I did not know whether to expect my surgery to turn into abdominal or not, because of the cancer possibility which did not materialize. Whew! The uncertainty was hard to deal with. But the worst part was wondering if I would wake up again. Obviously, I did! You will, too!

Just keep telling yourself--The waiting is the hardest part. -- for me it really was!

Line up lots of help with the kids for your recovery period so you won't overdo . That may be your biggest challenge/need, post op.
Unread 06-02-2003, 10:07 PM
Welcome "Sister Moon!"

You've found a great place here. Sorry that you're facing surgery, but am glad you've joined "the sisters!" This is an invaluable resource...and still is for me, even at 6 1/2 weeks post-op!

My rectocele was corrected vaginally...they go in through the vaginal wall. You will also most like have an episiotomy to go along with it. (NOT a problem).

Not to scare you, but please prepare yourself for the possibility that "your plan" might change in the middle of surgery. I hope your doctor told you that there's always a chance that they may have to switch to an abdominal mid-way through the surgery. My tvh went smoothly but we had a little "hiccup" when my bladder was nicked (rare occurence) and they then had to go in abdominally to fix it (it was safer that way). I wasn't thrilled about it, but he said he could visualize the bladder repair much better if he did it that way.

Good luck to you! It's scary facing surgery, but you are taking a huge step in the right direction by becoming more informed by reading the many posts here!

!
Unread 06-02-2003, 11:42 PM
Me, too

Hi Sister Moon

I will be having the same procedures on - Monday - ack! that's coming up quick!

I expected my DR to say I had to have a TAH becuase of 4 prior abdominal surgeries, but nope! I get to go the "easy" way, barring any complications....

My urogynecologist told me that the rectocele can only be repaired vaginally. Hmmmm...

I have spent a lot of time researching here on the internet, to understand my prolapses and the upcoming repairs to correct them. The most important piece of information that I have learned is to REST, REST, REST afterwards. It's not uncommon for there to be a previously weakened place in the supportive tissue between the bladder and/or rectum and vagina that is not visible and so, doesn't get included in the repair surgery. Post-op, this area could tear due to the newly altered interabdominal pressure. In order to prevent this, as much as is possible, it's SO important not to add to this pressure by overexerting in any way until healed.

I hope I will remember to follow my own advice...

You might also want to visit the UPRISE forum.
http://prolapse.hyperboards2.com/

The combination of Hyster Sisters and UPRISE has helped me through some very difficult and confusing times!

Good Luck!
-Janet
Unread 06-04-2003, 11:12 AM
Thank you!

Thank you all for your comments and support. Hearing from you has helped a lot.

I had my pre-op appointment yesterday and I feel a little better. Just worried about pain now. Dr said that the rectal repair will hurt more than anything else. Yee Haw! But at least I know what to expect and plan for, then if it changes I'll deal with it.

Again Thank you for the support and I'm sure I'll be back on after the procedure :-)
Unread 06-04-2003, 01:58 PM

Sister Moon, first let me wish you a very happy birthday. Mine is today also. I'm looking at my surgery as a new birthday... to a new life. You should do the same. Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register