horific results from vaginal self exam | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

horific results from vaginal self exam horific results from vaginal self exam

Unread 10-31-2008, 11:55 PM
horific results from vaginal self exam

First I'd like to thank EVERYONE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2008, 12:19 AM

Opps - for all your support from previous threads I have posted. You all have kind hearts and I will certainly support those who have gone through this once I have recovered.

I decided after having my TVH and anterior/posterior repairs of the Vag to do a little self examination and was completely HORIFIED to feel lumps and bumps inside of myself. I understand that scaring is expected, but without getting descriptive, I am panicing that my Vag has been botched. Is it normal to feel bumps and lumps just inside the Vag 9 days post op? My entire pelvic floor feels as though it pulls down whenever I stand up and think that perhaps I have caused damage to myself. If you have had a TVH with vaginal repairs would you please tell me if you experienced the same. I just need to know if this is normal. Thanks

Michelle
Unread 11-01-2008, 03:58 AM

Hi Michelle

You are very early in the recovery process so I would think you are still very swollen down there.

Maybe that is why they tell us NOTHING inside until we get cleared by the Dr - stops us getting freaked out & reduces the risk of infection.

Hope this helps!

Katy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2008, 04:43 AM

michell48

I'm sorry you're so worried about this but I agree with ((MatyMoo)). You're only 11 days post-op following major surgery ~ plus extensive repairs ~ and the initial/vital healing takes approximately 6 weeks, with full recovery then anything from 3 months to a year.

It's also true that nothing should be placed inside the vagina for approximately 6 weeks, or until you've been cleared by your doctor. Don't hesitate to call if you're concerned ~ if only to put your mind at rest.

Please take care since you've only this one chance to heal properly. Sending all good wishes for a smooth recovery!

Unread 11-01-2008, 06:21 AM

I had my TVH with A&P 6 months ago....my doctor said "put 2 fingers inside your vagina ever time you shower it prevents it from growing together as it heals".... so there is nothing wrong with a little self exam..I did it every 2nd day and I'm fine! Yes it's lumpy/bumpy done ther but you are probably still swollen....it will get better. Grace
Unread 11-01-2008, 04:12 PM

i was told to not put anything in my vagina untill at least 6 weeks, i'm 10 weeks now and still havent, now you have me worried that it may have healed up up there where it shouldnt, oh dear!!!!
Unread 11-01-2008, 04:48 PM

OMGEE,
I was told the same thing nothing for 6 wks and when I went back Friday was told nothing for 2 more weeks, when I was having lots of vag bleeding before my 2nd surgery, the Dr. only used qtips when he did exam, so he did'nt disrupt anything. Now I am freaking out more about having the BIG S w/ DH will he feel a bunch of bumbs? and did I close up? Oh I am glad I have 2 more weeks to prepare.
Unread 11-02-2008, 08:54 AM

Hi everyone. The reason for the "self exam" was because I could feel bumps/lumps near the entrance and was wondering what it was and then explored further to find out if it continued deeper. I in no way was trying to compromise my health, and if I hadn't felt the sensation of the bumps I would not have done the self exam. I have a friend who had to have a second surgery to open herself up after she had closed during healing leaving her with a "'short" vagina and said that it ruined her sex life due to the pain of penetration.
Now I'm thinking it would have been better to have a loose vagina than one that is short or lumpy. I'm calling my doctor tomorrow.
MIchelle
Unread 11-02-2008, 10:39 AM

(((Ladies))) "Nothing in the vagina" includes probing fingers, unless YOUR doctor tells you otherwise. Fingers and fingernails can harbor a lot of bacteria which can lead to an infection of those healing tissues.

It is completely normal for the healing tissues to feel lumpy and bumpy after A&P repairs. I had the same thing. I would venture to guess that most DHs would regard this as an improvement, not a problem.

In any case, it does tend to smooth out in time. Also, the vagina, if kept in healthy condition, is naturally elastic and stretches to accomodate during intercourse provided there is enough stimulation beforehand. Using vaginal estrogen, especially if you had your ovaries removed (even if you are already on systemic HRT), can go a long way towards keeping the walls moist and stretchy. Ask your DR if/when vaginal estrogen (I love a product called Vagifem) might be a good idea for you.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register