Estrogen replacement AND progesterone replacement?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Estrogen replacement AND progesterone replacement?? Estrogen replacement AND progesterone replacement??

Unread 09-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Estrogen replacement AND progesterone replacement??

Hello All,

This question is for anyone who has had their ovaries removed with their hysterectomy and who is dealing with the after effects of surgically induced menopause.

Did any of your doctors reccommend progesterone replacement as well as estrogen replacement therapy? I'm told if you don't have a uterus anymore your body doesn't need progesterone. I'm wondering if this is true?

Let me know,
Thanks
Lynda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Re: Estrogen replacement AND progesterone replacement??

that's what I was told too. but its a bit confusing. did the pregesterone ONLY have an effect on the uterus or cervix or whatever?
I'm sure it effects more than just that, i mean it's a hormone, right???

I've seen/read differring opinions about it. I am going to talk to my OTHER gyn and see what he says, not just my surgical gyn.
If I hear something, I'll post it.
Jenn
Unread 09-06-2010, 04:33 PM

Here's what my friend, who's a Pharmacist, says to me:

"Personally, I would go for a human form of estrogen (estradiol). Since you are removing all of your uterus, you can take what we call "unopposed estrogen" meaning that you don't have to take progesterone to counteract the estrogen's effects on the uterus. That's good news because progesterone has all kinds of problems and side effects."

I am going to talk to my doctor about the Vivelle dot. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2010, 04:55 PM

My ob/gyn put me on the Alora patch (0.05mg, changed out twice a week) before I left the hospital. About a week later, he put me on 100mg of progesterone @ bedtime. I really feel VERY overwhelmed by all of the HRT stuff. I'll get to talk more with my doctor in two weeks.
Unread 09-06-2010, 05:05 PM

I started on a patch but they were driving me nuts because they got so itchy underneath by the end of the day. If I took it off an moved it it would disrupt the flow of the medicine into my skin....the other thing was that I was still having symptoms so clearly they weren't working for me.

Now I am on a transdermal gel called ESTROGEL 17B-estradiol .06% . I rub one pump on each arm in the morning.

So far it seems to be working, but I have forgotten to take it on occasion and then get hot flashes at night. So, it's hard to tell if it works or not because I haven't been as consistent with it as I should (I also have ADHD so remembering things is tough on a good day..then add in the memory lapses and dizzieness of menopause and WHHAMO, lots to deal with)

Please let me know any other information you hear about progesterone and/or testosterone. I'm curious to know when doctors would prescribe supplements of these types of hormones.

Lynda
Unread 09-06-2010, 11:15 PM

Hello oh man do I remember this time of my life.. do I or dont I, I think I was on here for a year just reading all I could! Do search on hystersister for progesterone there is a great great long article on what progesterone does for your body, its so informative.. bottom line, it helps your body use your Estrogen better so you can use less, and also for me I found I was getting vertigo from horrible allergies that I never had before, that was my decission!! I use BIO ID Estrogen topical gel and progesterone BIO ID topical cream, this way they all by pass my liver and go straight to the blood stream, suppose to be better for your period.. GOOD LUCK
Unread 09-06-2010, 11:17 PM

I think I have my HRT pretty much under control, I use less than recommended to me, I went with a full topical gel dose and went less and less, and up and back and I found my perfect blend, I did increase a tiny bit during stressful times.. GOOD LUCK!
Unread 09-07-2010, 02:19 AM

I'm on the combined HRT, as recommended by my surgeon. The reason I'm taking progesterone as well is because I had severe endometriosis and my surgeon wasn't 100% sure he'd removed all of it: oestrogen can cause endometrial cells to grow and the progesterone is taken to help keep that in check.

I'm going to be on the combined HRT for 3-5 years and oestrogen only after that. I'm 44.

Hope this helps...

Lou

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register