Weird Menopause Symptom....Jolt in the head?!? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weird Menopause Symptom....Jolt in the head?!? Weird Menopause Symptom....Jolt in the head?!?

Unread 07-02-2009, 07:51 AM
Weird Menopause Symptom....Jolt in the head?!?

I know this might sound very strange but I have had many sleepless nights bc I have been woken by a jolt that hits my head. I can be sleeping and then suddenly I will feel restless like I need to turn over or change positions sleeping and then I realize I am feeling sort of dizzy. It is not actually dizziness but it is a feeling of movement even though I am not moving and then suddenly a surge hits my head and it is sometimes so harsh that it will actually cause my body to jerk. When I try to go back to sleep it just continues to happen on and off all night and keeps me awake and frustrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Re: Weird Menopause Symptom....Jolt in the head?!?

I've never heard of that happening, although others may have. Have you mentioned this to your doctor? I think I'd rather have hot flashes than go through that. It must be scary.

Are you on Effexor or any other of the SSRI medications? When I was on Effexor, I experienced weird sensations n my head sometimes.

Unread 07-02-2009, 08:04 AM

No, I am not on an anti depressant right now although I go thru waves of considering it. It is scary when it happens and very frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2009, 07:25 PM

Hi livinlifetoo-

I experience the same thing many nights/ early mornings. I've seen other posts here describing the same thing. Most of them say it happens when their estrogen is too low. For me it seems to be when it's off either way - too low or too high. It is scary, but I don't think it's dangerous. It doesn't happen every night, either. And it has never happened during the day even when my estrogen was low after my surgery. And if I'm up late it doesn't happen, only when I'm asleep or trying to sleep. It's the worst symptom I have now and I can't seem to get rid of it. It's definitely going to be the first thing I discuss at my next Dr appointment, again!

Maddie
Unread 07-02-2009, 10:46 PM

This is very scary, I used to get this every night when trying to fall asleep. I now take 100 mg. of progesterone as well as 400 mg. of magnesium every night before bed. I haven't had one of these weird jerking sensations since starting this regimen.

Blonde
Unread 07-03-2009, 12:57 PM

I experienced this sensation, along with MANY others during withdrawal from zoloft. It always occurred at night. In my case, I would guess it has to do with seratonin levels because my hormone therapy has not changed.
Unread 07-04-2009, 07:25 AM

ive had the same thing since my surgery,i thought it was because im still on pain medicine which makes me tired but the hormones wont let me sleep.Ive been on pain meds since before my surgery but i used to sleep.Now that i dont sleep the side effects get to me.Especially the dizziness and nausea.to me the sensation is almost like the begining of a panic attack.
Unread 07-06-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonboom57 View Post
Hi livinlifetoo-

I experience the same thing many nights/ early mornings. I've seen other posts here describing the same thing. Most of them say it happens when their estrogen is too low. For me it seems to be when it's off either way - too low or too high. It is scary, but I don't think it's dangerous. It doesn't happen every night, either. And it has never happened during the day even when my estrogen was low after my surgery. And if I'm up late it doesn't happen, only when I'm asleep or trying to sleep. It's the worst symptom I have now and I can't seem to get rid of it. It's definitely going to be the first thing I discuss at my next Dr appointment, again!

Maddie
Same here..both high and low causes this in me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register