Hi all I'm new here | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hi all I'm new here Hi all I'm new here

Unread 06-03-2004, 01:32 PM
Hi all I'm new here

Hi all. I'm new here and am having my surgery next Thursday morning. Not scared just excited and wanting it over with. My doctor said I should get to go home the next day, but maybe with a cathater. Can you explain how in the world you wear anything with that in. I'm having a TVH and some bladder repair. I have had tests and shows my bladder doesn't have the lining like it should I was to have surgery July 1, 04 but they moved it up to June 10, 04 because of my bladder. Which is ok with me. I'm tired of feeling like crap all the time so I have to feel better after the surgery. I have been reading a lot of the messages left here hoping to figure out how I will feel afterwards and what to expect. They have helped a lot Thanks to all of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Hi all I'm new here

Hi Texasgal
Welcome to Hystersisters.
Just to let you know, my mom had her hyst a couple of years ago, and had to go home with a catheter which stayed in for 2 weeks. She had extensive bladder repairs done.

THere are 2 different bags they give you to connect to the cath. One is fairly large, and is usually used at bedtime, or when You're just hanging out in the house. The second is a smaller bag which straps to your leg. My mom used it when she had to leave the house for dr appts, etc. They will show you how to empty the bag before you leave the castle.

Ummm clothing....lets just put it this way....pants are not going to be comfortable. Most of the time, mom just went "commando" under her nightshirts and robe, or she wore "housedresses".

I think the cath is my biggest fear regarding my upcoming hysterectomy, but if I have to go home with one, then I'll deal with it. What other choice will I have right?

Tam
Unread 06-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Hi all I'm new here

Welcome to the site Texasgal!! Glad you found it. Keep us posted after your surgery and let us know how that catheter ordeal works out-lol. Hopefully, though you won't have to deal with that awful thing! Best of luck to you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi all I'm new here

I did not go home with a cath, but I had one for a month before my surgery due to urinary retention. Mine was a small bag strapped to my leg like ((((Northlights)))) mentioned. I was able to wear undies, no problem , the tube just rested against my leg. I did find skirts and dresses (mid calf length) the most comfortable, tho I did wear loose capri pants a couple of times. Hopefully you won't have to have it very long after you get home. s
Unread 06-03-2004, 03:54 PM
plastic cath...

Hi all,

I think I am a pro at cath's...lol I left the hosp after the birth of my first child with one still "in". Constant bladder infections were happening, so about 2 weeks later I was shown how to use the small plastic ones that actually fit in a plastic travel toothbrush holder...lol Other than washing it with hot soapy water and using a lubricant with it...It was a breeze!!!!!!!!!!! I could go anywhere, wear anything...and never have to worry. I used it for 6month and in that time I had less bladder infections than the one "left in" .
Speak to your Dr. about the portable one...In my opion it was the best.
Take care
smile
Unread 06-03-2004, 08:51 PM
Thanks for your answers

Thank you all for the answers. I'm not really worried I don't go that far to worry about any of it. I know they won't let me drive for awhile, and since I'm here all day by myself I will probly be in nighties, or something lose and who cares not like I'm going to try and impress anyone. LOL.... I'm just wanting the whole thing over with. The wait is what is so tough. I really think if they gave us less time to sit and wait we would all be better off. I go in for pre-op on Monday. I gave a pint of blood last Thursday in case I need it. Doctor's orders. He gave me a diet to follow and a list of things to do the day before. So I won't need an enmia. Thanks again for this site and for answering questions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register