scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-06-2003, 08:56 AM
scared

I am scheduled for lap hyst on August 11th. I am feeling very nervous and overwhelmed by this. I have been to three different doctors but my last period was so horrible that I had to seek medical treatment. I was told they might not be able to stop my bleeding if I got another period so it was time to do something. My first symptoms of fibroids occured only 3 months ago and I feel like everything has happened so quickly. I have about a dozen fibroids that are anywhere from 4-6 cm each. I look 4 or 5 months pregnant (if not more). I can't even leave the house during my periods because I bleed through a pad in less than 30 minutes. I went to a friends house and didn't realize that it was so bad and bleed all over her sofa. Talk about mortified! And so I'm sitting here waiting for it all to be over, scared to death by it all, wondering if my sex life will be the same, if my stomach will ever go back down, if I will have problems later in life from having my uterus removed, etc. Unless I completely live in denial about the whole thing, I find that I can't stop crying. Luckily I have already had my children but I just think that 37 is too young to go through this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2003, 09:05 AM
scared

hi..... you are so.... normal... i was a complete wreck before surgery... tvh/bladder and uretha repair..... i often hoped i would go to sleep and not wake up so i didn't need to go through with the surgery.... i was being foolish ofcourse..... it was not nearly as bad as i thought... i had lower back pain when i awoke.... apart from that i felt tremendously relieved... i had severe prolapses.... my sex life is as good.... my pain was minimal.... maybe i was lucky.... please try and stay busy and focus on how good you will feel... after initial recovery....... life can be a nightmare but it sure can be good to..... i wish you well.. mary. xx
Unread 08-06-2003, 09:07 AM
scared

((((((Tksunshine))))))),

I am sorry that you are so scared hon. It is normal for alot of ladies though. You might call your Dr. and have him prescribe you something just until your surgery if you need it.

I can send you s though !!!!!!!!!!

Please feel free to post anytime hon.

Best wishes,

Pamcat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2003, 09:14 AM
scared

tksunshine

I can understand your fear and cyring is so normal. I am 38 and have had years to deal with my horrible periods; I can so relate to over flowing a pad. What you need to think about now is your quality of life. I don't think you really want to go through another period like the one that sent you to the hospital. My mom had her hyst at 29 and said it did not change her sex life in the least. My parents have been married now for 42 years so thats what I go by. Just think you will have the rest of your life never having to worry about visiting friends or planing trips because of your monthly unwanted visitor. Please visit us often there is a world of support here for you.

s

Donna

Donate blood, the life you save may be your own!
Unread 08-06-2003, 09:25 AM
same d-day

tksunshine,

I am having my TVH the same day as you. Yes, I am nervous and question why woman so young ( I am 34) have to deal with this but honestly know life has to be better after it's over. I too worry about my life after this is over.........how will sex be? will I gain weight? (very scary for me) will my DH feel differently about me? will I feel less whole? I think we are normal when we have these questions........it's the unknown and that is always scary.....

I have you in my thoughts and prayers and hope all goes well with you.

Hugs!
Unread 08-06-2003, 09:31 AM
scared

Hi TK -

Wow - I am sorry you have to deal with all this, and so fast. It seems so many of us have had years to come to terms with this ultimate decision. I can't imagine making it only a few months.

All I can say is that you are normal. What you are fearing is what we all are fearing. Scroll down the front page of these posts, or maybe to page 2, and read the thread about 10 biggest worries. It will assure you that you are totally normal, and you will laugh as well - I am sure laughing is much needed at this point.

Know that we are all in this together, and you have many supporters. I am having a LAVH on Aug. 18, and am also terrified about sex and stuff after, but I keep getting reassured here that sex for many is actually BETTER after.

Good luck, and big big s to ya,

Jess
Unread 08-06-2003, 10:19 AM
scared

You hang in there! I am 30 years old and just had my LSH on August 4th...just 2 days ago. I am feeling great actually! I came home yesterday and am home alone today. I am kindda sore around the incisions, but all in all I am feeling a lot better than I ever expected! I will pray for you to have an easy recovery as I am. Just think positive. I did and it is sure paying off.

Shannon
Unread 08-06-2003, 06:21 PM
Don't give up.

ToTksunshine:
Hi,I'm patybear.Welcome to Hystersisters.I'm so sorry to hear that you're having problems.You are not alone,hon.
I'm scheduled for a hysterectomy Aug.19th,and like you,I'm scared
out of my head.You didn't say in your post,but is there anyone you can talk to for support,such as your husband,or boyfriend,etc?
We're here for you,kiddo
patybear
Unread 08-06-2003, 07:59 PM
Some consoling words

Hi TK-
I had my TAH/BSO almost three months ago, and I cannot explain to women who haven't had gynecological problems how much the quality of my life has improved. The HysterSisters seem to understand though! My health is better, my mood is better, sex life is great--it was a very hard decision and I was very apprehensive as well, but not a day has yet passed that I wasn't glad I made the decision I did. I will be thinking good things for you and hope you find the same relief I did.
Hang in there,
Anne
Unread 08-06-2003, 09:01 PM
scared

I'm 36 and thrilled to no end that I had my TAH finally. I never realized, truely, how aweful I felt all the time until it was over and done with. I had my hysterectomy for frequent and persistant bleeding that BC pills could not control. I no longer have migraines or sugar cravings. I have no more painful infections from wearing pads all the time. I get no sciatic nerve pain running down my leg after sex. It's amazing. I thought those things were normal. Now, I know what normal is. It's waking up every day and dealing with just life, not the bathroom. It no longer revolves around being in pain or bleeding all the time. Never again. Whoohoo!
As far as intimacy, it is fabulous without all the female issues taking up 3/4 of every month, I am now free to indulge whenever and my desires are now surprisingly close to my husbands drive, except he's a morning lark and I'm a night owl. I never expected to feel this good. I hang around the site just to make sure I tell as often as I can, how great this has all been for me.
The recovery is long and has many ups and downs. I still get swelly when I lift things, but it's not terrible. Otherwise, I had a TAH, kept ovaries and was back at work cleaning houses and exercising at 6 weeks post. I forsee no long term ill effects, because my mother had this surgery in her 30's and has been fine. So have many other women that I know of. It is important to follow the recovery rules and really take it easy those first weeks after, no matter how great you may feel.
I've been here since last November and the majority of the are not returning after their initial recovery period. I look for names of people I recognize and they're all new and always changing. These ladies are off living their wonderful new lives with no problems.
Good luck with it all

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register