Bowel Prep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Bowel Prep

I Had My Pre-op Today And Was Told I Didn't Need A Bowel Prep. Is The Bowel Prep Necessary? I'm Have A Lavh With Anterior And Posterior Repair. Any Insight Will Be Helpful Thanks. Moondancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Bowel Prep

hey there, i only had to do a enama, but i figured my last great meal would be mcdonalds and guess what i lived in the can all night long so when i was suppose to use the enama i had nothing there, but i think they do it so there is no extra pressure around the stomach area.
Good luck to you. I am 6 weeks post op and feeling pretty good,
take care

kept right overy
Unread 06-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Bowel Prep

MOONDANCER, no bowel prep for me either or cath. I plan on eating very lightly 2 days before surgery and drinking lots, just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Bowel Prep

Each doc has their own preference, from what I understand the reason for the bowel prep is a precautionary messure.... for example I am having extensive repairs to the area right next to my rectum... they want my bowels to be empty to reduce the possibility of infection. Some types of hyster don't require a bowel prep..... I think it depends on the type you are having, your doc's preference, and other repairs being done. Hope this helps. The above is only my opinion...if you are really concerned I would call the doc and ask.
Unread 06-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Bowel Prep

I had a total vaginal hysterectomy and Anterior and Posterior repairs on May 25/07. Although I expected to have to a bowel prep, I did not have to. The nurse at the hospital Pre-op appointment told me the Dr. did not order one, but she would advise drinking prune juice a few days before. I didn't do exactly that, but did make sure to eat a fiber rich diet (All Bran with fresh fruit for breaky and lot of fruit and salads). Ultimately, it's up to your Dr. Good luck with your surgery - be sure to let us know how you are doing.
Unread 06-14-2007, 06:18 AM
Bowel Prep

Each dr seems to have his/her own routines and perferences. It's very important to follow your dr's orders exactly - no more, no less. That way you can help avoid unexpected surprises and possibly postponments.

S
Unread 06-14-2007, 06:59 AM
Bowel Prep

i had to do one for my lsh. if i hadnt had to, i probably wouldve eaten very light the day before. maybe some scrambled eggs and toast...something like that.
Unread 06-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Yep!

I had to do the bowel prep (last night), enema AND a douche!!! Guess I'm ALL cleaned out now!! My surgery is in 4 hours. I'm sewing (quilting) now to take my mind off things. Actually, I feel so much better since the enema! Who'd of thunk it!!!

Good luck!
Unread 06-14-2007, 07:05 AM
Bowel Prep

Even if you don't have to do the bowel prep, I would agree that's it's a good idea to eat lightly the day before. Some have nausea issues with the anesthesia afterwards... this is why they don't want you to eat after midnight the night before.

I'm one of the lucky ones, I have to do the bowel prep, but at least it's a small amount... the one I did for the colonscopy......... ewwwwwwwwwwww... it was a whole gallon!

Best of luck to everyone... the only way from here is up and to better days!
Unread 06-14-2007, 07:07 AM
Bowel Prep

Yes, this one was a lot less than for the colonoscopy! But, tasted 10X WORSE ICK!!!!! Glad that's over!

Funny, Tuesday night I had a major craving for a thick, juicy hamburger, and that's what I got! Delish! Then, yesterday morning, ate a nice bowl of cereal, then was on clear liquids all day...boring!!

L

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register