D&C before hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

D&C before hysterectomy? D&C before hysterectomy?

Unread 08-12-2011, 12:01 PM
D&C before hysterectomy?

I went to my doctor because of spotting after menopause. Did a biopsy and pap. Both are fine. Also had both interior and exterior ultrasound. Enlarged uterus and thick lining. Now he wants to do a d&c. Part of my wanting to do a hysterectomy is because my sister died from uterine cancer. We had similar problems with our periods. After my sister had her biopsy they said she was fine, no cancer. Five months later she was gone. I don't know if the doctor just screwed up or ??? Did anyone else need a d&c before a hysterectomy? Did it show anything different then the biopsy? Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Re: D&C before hysterectomy?

I had 2 D & C's before my TAH. 1 years previous... it helped for awhile. Then I had 1 in Dec & my TAH in May... and the months in between were torchure. Some insurance companies make you try EVERYTHING before they Ok a major surgery like that.
If you can't talk your Dr into just going for the Hyst.... do the D & C & even if you have to exagerate how bad it still is & that will force them to do the Hyst!
good luck!!!
Unread 08-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Re: D&C before hysterectomy?

Number8 -

A D&C is considered a gold standard as far as looking for cancer since it has more tissue for study than a biopsy. A biopsy has a possibility of missing a cancerous area.

Most, but not all, uterine cancers are slow growing and since they can't put back in what they take out you have to make a decision as to what you feel comfortable with.

I did not have a biopsy since my Dr. had found some fibroids and a small mass from a ultrasound. We went to the D&C to clean things up. He said everything looked fine but was sending the tissue away for pathology. A week later he said that there was cancer and 3 weeks later I had my hysterectomy.

The pathology from the hysterectomy showed complex hyperplasia with atypia, essentially pre-cancer.

I would highly recommend that if you get to the point where cancer or pre-cancer is suspected or know that you have your surgery done by a gyn-oncologist who is familiar with both the gyn and cancer side of things.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register