Scheduled LSH 2 days until surgery and now other stress | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 days until surgery and now other stress 2 days until surgery and now other stress

Unread 12-20-2011, 03:36 AM
2 days until surgery and now other stress

I am having LSH/RSO on Thursday. I had my pre-op appt last Friday. I have a fibroid and two endometriomas on my right ovary. An ablation that I had done and draining an endemetrioma on the right ovary two years ago did nothing to help me long term (different doctor than I have now). I decided that I wanted to keep my left ovary, because it seems like it is healthy, but my doctor was trying to encourage me to have the left one taken out too and go on HRT because I have endometriosis. In my mind, my own natural hormones are going to be better for me than synthetic and I know deep down that I am making the best decision for myself, but him trying to argue his point is just enough to put doubts in my head. Based on my own research I feel like I am right, but now all these doubts are swimming in my head! I do trust my own doctor, but he is one of those that thinks a hysterectomy and BSO is going to "cure" endometriosis which I believe is false.

Then the other stress that started up last night is about my father-in-law's decision. He has cancer for the third time, diagnosed a couple months ago. He had radiation, and the doctors are recommending doing chemo now and he doesn't want to. He also talked to another doctor about an experimental drug, but it only has a 20% chance of working so he decided not to do that either. It seems like he is giving up, and my husband is waiting to see if he takes a turn for the worse, and then go visit him. We live in a different state from him. I just feel so bad for my husband because he just lost a sister to cancer two years ago. By the way my father in law is only about 67.

Thanks for listening. You are the only people I can turn to that "get it". I'll take any prayers, encouragement, and personal stories that you care to share!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Re: 2 days until surgery and now other stress

I had my surgery on the 8th and at the last minute ( I was sitting waiting to go in the OR) my dr recomended taking my left ovary because of endometriosis, of course I can't say whether it was the right or wrong decision but I am glad to still have one.

I also feel your stress about your father in law. My mother in law lives with us and was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer with mets to her brain, although she is doing treatment she is terminal. She wanted to fight with everything she had, she cut way back on her smoking and almost quit, stopped drinking and then one day I noticed she was almost at a pack a day again and still having a drink or two. It frustrates me that she does these things knowing they will shorten her life, but I also have realized in the long run of things it won't save her. She will be starting her chemo (has been through radiation already) but we don't think her body will tolerate it but it's her decision and we just have to hope it does
Unread 12-20-2011, 01:17 PM

Def. do what you feel is best for you. It's very aggravating when Dr's believe a hysterectomy is a cure for endo because we know it's not. My doctor left everything up to me because he knew I had researched and knew what I wanted. I had my right ovary out in Feb because that seemed to be where the PCOS and endo seemed to focus their attentions. With my TAH I chose to have the left ovary and tube out as well as my cervix. Since estrogen "feeds" the endo I wanted to give my body the best chance possible to get rid of it. I'm also choosing not to take HRT for at least 3 months and am doing my best to stay away for 6. Until then I'll be doing tons of research to figure out what the best HRT is to try and keep the endo away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2011, 05:53 PM

I am glad i listened to my doctor and he told me let's keep your ovaries,you want to keep them as long as possible,anything synthetic isnt as good as the real thing.he said in my case i would get osteoporosis and probably every other menopausal issue.so we are doing a wait n see cause of the endo.i wish your doctor would look at research and agree with you cause it's your body not his!if you want to keep your ovary ,its yours to keep.my doctor made me sign a form stating under very bad circumstances he would take my ovaries.i swear if i was you,i think i might cancel my surgery and get a doctor that agrees with what you want.i am so sorry about your father-in-law.i would encourage hubby to visit him now before its too late.. My best friend's brother died of cancer last night.he was 46 years old and i have been trying to heal from tah that i put off visiting him.he died before i got to say goodbye and he was such a sweet gentle soul.we never know what lies ahead of us.i will say a prayer for you and your family.cancer is so tough and it doesnt discriminate.i moved in with my in-laws in may to take care of mom-in-law.family wanted her to go to a hospice center and she made me swear she would die at home.she did ,we made it happen.she died august 5th in her home.she had pancreatic cancer,she was 83.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register