Waist expansion posthysterectomy--is it true? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Waist expansion posthysterectomy--is it true? Waist expansion posthysterectomy--is it true?

Unread 12-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Waist expansion posthysterectomy--is it true?

The date is set. January 21st. My mom has had a hysterectomy and she said that immediately after the hyst that your waist expands 4 inches. This is very discouraging news to me. I need the hyst for a plethora of pelvic support issues including 3rd degree uterine prolapse, 3rd degree cystocele, 2nd degree enterocele and 1st degree rectocele. Someone tell me the waist expansion is not true. And if it is true tell me why or how can I prevent it. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2004, 05:05 PM

Hi Stitchingecho,

Nope...not with me. I am the same size I was in pre-op. A size 10. I am 5' 10" tall so that is pretty good for me.

I noticed post hyst that I have lost my fibroid belly. It is flat now. But as far as a 4 inch gain?? No...not here. Maybe she is talking about the temporary swelly belly from surgery??

I think it can be easy to eat more in post-op and with lack of exercise due to recouping, that can maybe lead to some weight gain. So, I can suggest eating healthy, doing some walking and drinking lots of water. Worked for me.

Also, since you are keeping your ovaries, that can help too. I have seen some ladies post about being on HRT and how it has caused weight gain for them. So...?? Everyone is unique.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 12-12-2004, 06:04 PM

Hi. I'm not sure if this will answer your question or not. I believe during surgery they pump something into you (like a gas) to make it easier for them to see and work. I had a TAH mid-afternoon and the next morning the doctor came in to see me and he said "you are really distended". It's normal for your abdomen area to expand after surgery. I mentioned it to my doctor at my first appointment a week or so later and he said it could take 6 months to a year for it to go down. It does get better. You might want to read some of the posts/threads about "swelly belly". They may help clear up some questions for you.

Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2004, 08:55 PM

Had surgery for a very large fibroid. Even though my stomach was swollen, when I tried on "real" slacks at about 3 weeks or so, I had actually gone down a size. Swelly belly is an issue for lots of us, but it varies day by day, and haven't heard anyone say that theirs was permanent!

Sara
Unread 12-12-2004, 09:47 PM

I couldn't get my jeans on for about 4 weeks. Now I'm completely back to normal and my lower abdomen is actually flatter because that nasty old uterus is gone.

You should be fine. The other sisters are right on the mark with the gas they pump into you (laporoscopic) ....or the swelling you would get from an abdominal hyst... Post-op swelling is normal.
I gained a few pounds afterwards due to just laying around and taking it easy. After I went back to work, though, they melted right off.

You should be fine!
Unread 12-13-2004, 07:27 AM

Hi, I was swollen for awhile after my tah/bso and couldn't wear "normal" clothes because of that. But my waist is about the same now as it was before my surgery.

s
Unread 12-13-2004, 11:32 AM

I had a LSH on Dec. 7th and today was able to put on my normal clothes. Admittedly, these are clothes that were a bit big on me to begin with, but I can see that my swelly belly is a lot less than it was a couple of days ago and don't anticipate any problem with fitting into my normal clothes in a few more days. I'm sure you'll bet fine as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register