Dr. didn't do ablation before Novasure for fibroid. Need advice/support!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr. didn't do ablation before Novasure for fibroid. Need advice/support!! Dr. didn't do ablation before Novasure for fibroid. Need advice/support!!

Unread 07-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Dr. didn't do ablation before Novasure for fibroid. Need advice/support!!

I'm 46 and had a Novasure ablation about a year ago for clotting, heavy bleeding and severe cramps. Before the Novasure I had an ultrasound and the Dr. told me that I had one small 3cm fibroid and that meant the the results might not be perfect but I would be much better. For about 6-8 months afterwards I had horrible cramping but no period. Now I have very little cramping but am bleeding moderately again every day, sometimes light sometimes heavy. So it certainly IS much better but I'm still bleeding daily.

I had another ultrasound recently that showed the fibroid had grown from 3cm to 4cm plus a possible polyp has developed that wasn't there before the ablation. She said that she could do a hysteroscopy to look in and see if she could remove them but it might be too scarred to get in and she's have to stop. Then the next step would be a hysterectomy which I really want to avoid since I'm not bleeding or cramping heavily. I asked her why we didn't do the hysteroscopy before the Novasure ablation and got a vague answer but I had so many other questions at the time I just moved on.

Later I think about it and start researching and I read about women who get the regular ablation to remove fibroids, THEN get a Novasure ablation with very good results. I feel ROBBED!! I am so upset! WHY wouldn't she have told me about that option so I would get better results??? Now I'm facing a major operation with a long recovery time and I could very well lose my job with that much time out. I'm smelling something fishy but don't know what. She told me I should get a second opinion which I will certainly do. Should I get the second opinions first then talk to her? Or should I call her and ask why she didn't offer me the regular ablation before the Novasure?

I'm so upset I haven't been able to eat or sleep. I can feel the tears coming as I write this. I feel like now more options have been closed to me because of the scarred uterus and all that's left is the hysterectomy. I know this is a ridiculous thought but I almost envy women who bleed/cramp more as it makes their decision easier. I know it's crazy but I feel so emotional now.

Can anyone offer any advice?? Thanks. I'm so tired of crying and not sleeping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2008, 12:05 PM

I guess I am not familiar with the difference between a regular ablation and a Novasure ablation.........isn't it to attain the same results? I too had one small fibroid that was causing lots of bleeding and no pain at all. The doctor told me that the ablation process (regardless of type done) was not always affective if you have a fibroid. Because I wanted to have the problem fixed permanently and get my life back, I chose to have a hysterectomy. Mine was vaginally assisted laproscopy and kept my ovaries (so I don't have to deal with the hormone stuff). I came back to work after 6 weeks and if I had to, I probably could have come back at 4 weeks. So that is something to consider if you are worried about your job. Mine was protected by FMLA for 12 weeks. I had no pain, but still opted for the hysterectomy and it is the best decision that I have ever made! I have my life back and do not have to plan my life around the bleeding problems created from the fibroids. I feel great! I would check with your employer and see what kind of disability you have and ask the doctor about what type of hyst. you would have if you choose to go that direction. Hope it turns out ok for you.
Unread 07-18-2008, 01:55 PM

Thanks for your post. She wants to do an abdominal one which to me seems the most invasive which I wasn't crazy about on top of everything else. I've heard better stories with the vaginal ones. I would love to be in the place where you are--at peace with my decision. I think that is the hardest part about all this, the uncertainty of not knowing the right thing to do. I probably could get the time off but now is not a good time as they are having layoffs. Technically I could take the time, but in real life, it's different. Just like people say they how don't discriminate on age and weight, but they do.

That's interesting about the ablations. I'm not super sure either but I've read a couple of women writing about having the dr. remove the fibroid THEN do a Novasure and logically it makes sense. Guess I still have a ways to go in my search for an answer. Thanks so much again for responding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2008, 04:36 PM

Removal of fibroids is a myomectomy, not an ablation, as far as I know. Novasure is an ablation. It's possible that some women get a myomectomy, then an ablation. I'm not sure.
You might want to check out this support website for women getting ablations for more info from them: http://endometrialablationboard.yuku.com/
It's like this website, but only for ablations. I used it a bit when I was researching whether to get one or not.

It does sound weird that she didn't do diagnostic tests beforehand. If she's talking about a hysterectomy, you might seek a second opinion from another gynecologist, if only to get a better understanding of what's going on.

Wishing you well!
Unread 07-18-2008, 04:45 PM

Thanks. I looked quickly and there's some good info. The design is a little funky for an informational site, but if the info's there, I'll find it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register