How do you get comfortable after hysterectomy?!?! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do you get comfortable after hysterectomy?!?! How do you get comfortable after hysterectomy?!?!

Unread 05-09-2014, 03:01 PM
How do you get comfortable after hysterectomy?!?!

I had a total DiVinci on Monday and I just cannot find a comfortable position anywhere! The recliner hurts my bum after awhile, my couch is so soft it's really hard to get out and laying on my back in bed is driving me nuts! I desperately need to sleep!!! The Percocet wires me out but I need them for the pain (the incision on my right side is no joke!!) I've tried pillows under my belly on my side and it still pulls. I'm a big girl (260 lb ) and have lost 60 lbs in the last 2 years so I'm flabby. Dr said no to a binder. Help! I need to sleep!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2014, 04:22 PM
Re: How do you get comfortable?!?!

I wasn't comfortable for 3 weeks. I tried everything and finally I gave up. I did try to sleep on the couch and had a pile of pillows . My sister was your size when she had hers(it was vertical) and told me the recliner was where she sat and slept for a month along with pillows. Her recliner was cloth and it is way more comfortable than a leather one... She held the pillow against her tummy while moving the recliner to uprite position and it seemed to work somewhat for the pain.
Unread 05-09-2014, 04:30 PM

Yeah we bought the recliner for me to sleep in but it isn't long enough (my feet dangle off the edge) and the seat just hurts my lower back. I guess I just need to sleep when I'm able to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2014, 06:27 PM

I lay on the side that hurts the most. The pressure helps me. My left side has an incision and it's pretty sore still (and I must have pulled it ouch!).

I have DH help me into bed on the sore side, I put a pillow between my legs for support then I put one against my stomach and use my arm to hold it in place. Kind of like a one armed hug. It sounds silly to lay on the sore side but the pressure helps so much.

I'm a big girl too, I know what you mean about flabby! Hang in there!
Unread 05-09-2014, 07:35 PM

I have had to sleep in my recliner since I can home a week ago. My back is killing me but it's the only place I can sleep. I cannot get comfortable in my bed yet and the couch is too hard to get up from. If you find any good ideas please keep us posted. I have tried tons of pillows. Nothing seems to work so sleep is not coming easy.
Unread 05-09-2014, 07:39 PM

I have tried sleeping on my right side (most painful incision on the right)
With a pillow under my belly and slightly propped up. That helps with the pulling. I can't stand to lay on my back anymore!!! I'm going to take an ambien tonight and pray that knocks me out. The pain meds keep me up.
Sweet dreams to all of us
Unread 05-09-2014, 07:44 PM

It's so funny to hear different people's experiences with this. I think by about night six, I got brave enough to try to lay on one of my sides. No go. Have tried again each night with no luck until last night. Last night I tried the different side, and found a spot that worked. Am hoping it will still be the magic spot tonight. I was getting tired of being on my back all the time.

I had NO luck in my recliner. For the first 5-6 nights, I used a large wedge memory foam pillow that I bought several years ago, but hadn't used. I used it in combination with lots of pillows... at my side, and under my knees.
Unread 05-09-2014, 07:50 PM

I also had issues but what works for me is a pillow under my knees and feet to be comfortable and melatonin to get me to fall asleep. Eventually when you are cleared taking a bath will help also.
Unread 05-09-2014, 09:32 PM

Well for me I gave up trying. It just sucked basically. Around end of week 2 I was able to start being more comfortable. Recliner with it raised is where I have spent 90% of my recovery. I have slept in my bed every night since coming home, which was day 4 though. With pillows supporting various body parts.
Unread 05-09-2014, 09:54 PM

I'm trying the couch. I have 4 different pillows and a large sheet rolled up under my belly. I'm really hoping that the stool softeners + chocolate malt from this afternoon lets up so I can sleep!!!! Sweet dreams!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register