The things I couldnt live without!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) > Hints from Members

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The things I couldnt live without!! The things I couldnt live without!!

Unread 09-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Talking - The things I couldnt live without!! The things I couldnt live without!!

Ok so since I am almost a week out of post op I thought that I would stop and give all you lovely pre op ladies some helpful advice!!!

So the one thing that I will start with is the day BEFORE you start your bowl prep drink A LOT of apple juice! I did and it helped A LOT!! It kind of helped things get started instead of a shock to the system of just "GO" lol!! Also the day of your bowl prep drink lots of apple juice! I also saw in another post about drinking loads of water as long as you can the day before and I couldnt agree more!! It truly does help with the IV and blood draw!!

Second! Request a BINDER!!! Or buy the binder from this site! I got one from the hospital and I am so glad that I did. Yesterday I went almost the whole day without my binder on and by the time 9 pm rolled around I was in so much pain that I gave in and had my neighbor come over and help me put it on. I wanted to try and not wear it but I am regretting that stupid decision lol!! I honestly cannot imagine how much pain I would be in without having the binder from the very beginning! My doctor placed the binder on me after the surgery before I was up and that helped A LOT!!! So I cannot stress enough how much the binder has helped....and my neighbor even said that she wished that she had one when she had her surgery!!

Third! Ask the hospital for some extra ice packs. They will send you home with empty ones! It is free...and I am all about saving money any time I can!! The only bad thing that I noticed was that they do tend to leak. So if you put peas in them instead you dont have to worry about them leaking!! When you are using one keep the other in the freezer and you can just keep swapping them out!!!

Fourth! Bring chapstick and deodorant with you! Your lips will be really dry along with your mouth and the chapstick helps! Also the deodorant will just help you feel a little fresher!! Also a brush and hair ties...that way you can have extra hair ties if needed and you can have your DH or support system possibly brush your hair up into a ponytail if the one you have in falls out!

Fifth! Bring a small electronic game! I had my nephews DS and it helped pass some time and get my mind off of any discomfort I was feeling!! Sometimes I nodded off playing it but at least it kept me entertained!! lol!!

Sixth! Grab some of the pads (those large square or rectangle leak proof pads) that they put on the beds! They are usually in the closet in the room that has the spare sheets! I grabbed two, one for my bed and one for my couch just in case!! And when you are done using them they make GREAT changing blankets for kids!! I do not have kids but I do do daycare and I absolutely LOVE them!! It is so easy to fold it up and keep it under the couch or end table and then lay it out to change the kids on! It is easy to wash and it is a great protector for when you need it if you do bleed out a little bit! The last thing that you want is a stain on your couch from blood that went through the extra sheet or towel that you had on the couch!!

Seventh!! Last but not least a day or two before your bowl prep go out and get a pedicure and manicure!! Splurge on yourself, you deserve it! Plus it will help you feel relaxed and it will make you feel good looking down at your toes and/or fingers and seeing a fresh coat of nail polish on there! The massage on your feet and hands will help relax you and when you feel like crap after the surgery at least you will see your nails and that will help you feel better! When I had my lap earlier this year I felt like crap (expectedly) and I didnt have my nails done and I honestly noticed a difference this time when I felt like crap and had my nails done. I guess it makes you feel a little more glamorous when you are at a sore low!

Remember the anticipation is always the worst part! Being put down is really not that big of a deal. YES it is scary but before you know it you will wake up comfortably in the post op area! If you are feeling pain do NOT be afraid to ask for pain meds or ask when your next dose can be given! And say many many many pleases and thank yous to the nurses! They are the ones that will really be taking care of you and the more you show your appreciation the more they are to not want to see you in pain and actually remember when you are up for a dose!

So those are all of my top tips!!! Take a deep breath and breath easy! It really isnt that bad on the post op side!!!

Good luck ladies!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register