just found you-laproscopy on 5/30 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

just found you-laproscopy on 5/30 just found you-laproscopy on 5/30

Unread 05-24-2001, 06:47 AM
just found you-laproscopy on 5/30

I found you late last night and couldn't wait til read the posts this morning. I don't know if I'm posting in the right place or not. I go for pre-op tomorrow and for a laproscopy and D&C on Wed.

I have two cysts (small I guess 2.something and 3.something) one on each ovary. I have back pain, constipation, gassiness, pelvic pain and irregular periods. I finally started today and was only a week late this time. I did have an IUD for about 6 yrs with no problems at the time. Oh, I'm 38 yrs old and have mild multiple sclerosis for which I'm taking a daily injection to prevent relapses.

That's my intro, but here's what my doc wants to do. "Go in and look around, drain the cysts and do a D&C". I pretty much am "stuck" with this doc as she is the only one that accepts my insurance. She's not real communicative and that bothers me. She said that I should be in and out of the hospital in one day "unless she has to do more". I know I'd have to give my permission to "do more" but where do you draw the line? I have one child and know there will be no more for me down the road. So they can take the "baby buggie (uterus) and leave the play pen" for all I care if that will help with the pain. I always figured I have a high pain tolerance but cannot rate that against what others feel monthly. I just know that my moodiness and pain is something I don't want to feel all the time.

Anyone with advice or steer me towards other posts that talk about laproscopy and what to expect? I really hope to learn alot here and thank you for reading this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2001, 07:36 AM

It might be worth paying for a second opinion. You might also call your insurance company to see if they can help you find a second doctor. Or you can ask for a consultation with your doctor and send out your written questions in advance and go through them one by one until you feel better about the whole thing.

You might let a mechanic just go in and look around without a firm idea of what she's looking for, but this is your body. If this is the doctor you're stuck with, drag some information out of her. Ask what are the criteria she would use to decide she needs to "do more", for starters. Ask what a D&C is supposed to accomplish. Does she suspect endometriosis? Does she plan to remove any endometrial lesions she finds? These are some questions you might start with.

Good luck to you. Ask questions and keep asking them until you get answers.
Unread 05-24-2001, 07:44 AM

Sherpie
Welcome!! I hope we are able to help you.
I had a D&C and a hystosope together and then a Laparoscopy later. The D&C w/hystoscope was a day surgery. I went in in the morning and they did the IVs and then knocked me out. The surgery took about 20 min, I was in recovery for about an hour. Came home and sleep most of the day away. I was out of work for 2 days. I was a little crampy the first day, but after that I felt OK. The laparoscopy was a day surgery also. This surgery was a little longer, about an hour, and then an hour in recovery. Came home and sleep the day away again. I was a little more sore this time. I had two small incisions, one by my belly button and the other on my pelvic line. I was out of work for 2 days again. It took about four weeks for the tenderness on the incision site to go away. I didn't have cysts, they only went in to find out why I was having the pain and heavy bleeding. The Doc had diagnoses multiple fibroids, enlargled uterus and possible adenomyosis. So we decided to do the hysterectomy. I am 36 and have two girls. We had hoped to have another, but it wasn't in the cards. Hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register