appropriately thanking / recognizing your doctor | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

appropriately thanking / recognizing your doctor appropriately thanking / recognizing your doctor

Unread 09-29-2008, 02:24 PM
appropriately thanking / recognizing your doctor

I know that there are avenues to file complaints against doctors who you feel gave you lousy service, but is there some way to give recognition to a physician who you feel was above average in his care?

It may sound strange, but I was thinking of sending my doctor a thank-you note for everything he did throughout my consultations and surgery. I know that taking care of their patients is (or at least should be) a routine part of their job, and you don't have to thank somebody for simply doing their job. But I know that this guy went out of his way to manipulate his schedule, including some personal time, in order to accommodate me. In addition, I have to say that his "bedside manner" was way above average. I actually chose this doctor over another surgeon with significantly more experience, because I felt he addressed my concerns as a person, whereas I was just another case to the other doctor.

Too often we always report the bad stuff, and overlook the good. I'd like to make sure this doctor knows what he's doing right, to encourage him to keep it up. I'm afraid with the demands on healthcare professionals these days, if they don't think their efforts are appreciated, they won't have any incentive to continue that level of care.

I'm going to try to find a contact within the clinic/network he belongs to, and put in a good word for him. Would it be inappropriate to also send him a personal letter of thanks?

-Anita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2008, 02:46 PM

I have already decided when I go in for my two week I am taking my Doctor a little gift. I agree why not thank them when they do a good job, we are after all are using them for their experience and schooling and had they not of chose this path we would have maybe had someone not so great aye? I think I may do some nice fruit and some English cheeses in a gift basket for mine. My hubby is English so thought it would be a bit of a personal gift from the both of us. He was a savior in my eyes taking care of me after a not so nice session with my previous gyn. He has rushed my appointments and my pathology reports since the day I met him, he didn't have to do that.
Unread 09-29-2008, 02:59 PM

I LOVE MY DOC!

Omg he as been sooo good to me. He better not ever retire 'cuz I plan to go to him as long as I can. He is so good, I would drive a hundred miles to see him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2008, 03:11 PM

I sent my doctor (at his office) an edible fruit arrangement along with a heart felt thank you note. I didn't know my doctor very long before surgery due to the urgent nature but he/they went so far out of their way to make time for me, I knew I had to so something for him.

When my doctor received the arrangement he called me personally to thank me for it. We actually talked about something other then me.

It really made my day....
Unread 09-29-2008, 03:21 PM

Oh I also rated my Doctor across the internet. So that anyone else in my situation will see the reviews and have a bit of faith in using him.

I think it is great we have Doctors we care about.
Unread 09-29-2008, 03:31 PM

How could I not thank this man? Everyone who knows my hyster story knows how my GYN and new PCP went above and beyond to get me through this medical crisis.

Yes, it IS his job and he gets paid well to do it, but I also get paid (not as well ) to do my job; but the notes of thanks and appreciation and the small gifts I get from parents and students is very rewarding and lets me know that I am appreciated for doing a good job. I wrote nice notes inside cards for all of my doctors (I have a whole team of them, you know!) and mailed them to their offices just to let them know how much I appreciate them.

I also wrote glowing recommendations on suggest-a-doctor so anyone in my area looking for a new doctor might consider these men, too.
Unread 09-29-2008, 04:41 PM

I have written personal notes to my DR as well as the Department Head so they are also aware of the great care my DR provided over the years. I have also given small gifts over the years and it has been years and lots of history with my OB/GYN. I'll admit I am actually sad I won't see her so frequently.
Unread 09-29-2008, 04:48 PM

I was very grateful for all my doc did too. I know he rearranged his schedule and cancelled other patients to fit me in as soon as he did. I "thanked" the office staff with a "chocolate basket" and at my 4 week check up, I gave my doc a gift card to a book store with a thank you card. I also rated him on the internet.
Unread 09-29-2008, 05:31 PM

I sent a gourmet basket to the staff that took care of me in the hospital and an edible arrangement to my surgeon and his office staff. I also wrote each a personal note and had them attach it to the deliveries. I am a healthcare worker and yes it is our job. However I can remember when I first started (like 100 years ago---LOL) it was nice when a patient remembered you and showed their appreciation for their care. I also rated him on the internet.
Unread 09-29-2008, 07:16 PM

I absolutely adore my doctor, and I'm glad you brought this up because I was thinking of it myself. He is so attentive and I think he genuinely cares about us women and what we endure. In fact, I was watching the movie "Waitress" and telling my DH that, like the main character, I was in love with my gyn too. That got his attention, haha.

(just a heads up: Waitress is a great movie, but the birth scene at the end made me really sad)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register